Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WinXP Home and wireless installation

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kornykid

kornykid

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:19 PM

Couple weeks ago tried to install a wireless adapter on my desktop windowsxp sp3. It would not install and froze on the screen with the drivers to be installed. I was frustrated and stopped it, took out the cd and that was the beginning of my trouble. I lost the ability to open any programs such as Services.msc, antivirus stopped running(MicrosoftSecurityEssentls. I can't even go to Safe Mode at all just back on the desktop with all this mess. Can't figure out what to do. Please help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:13 AM

What happens when you try to access the advance boot options?

If I understand this correctly, the computer loads Windows but the desktop is unresponsive?

Have you tried another mouse?

Have you checked the connection of the mouse?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 kornykid

kornykid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:46 PM

Hi and Thanks for Replying

Iused the Last Good Configuration and then restarted to the desktop. It does load Windows but the desktop becomes unresponsive. Such as Add/Remove Programs that would not delete the Netgear Wireless Adapter. So went to the Registry and deleted it there. Back on the desktop I loaded a Dvd Movie and it played but No Sound at all. The Microsoft Management Console will no let me access anything. And the Wireless mouse I use is new so no problem there. I haven't hooked the Broadband connection up yet but haven't been able to do anything with it either. Help, think I'm stuck. I did put a Malwarebyte program on from a usb drive and it said no problems found. I don't believe it but got tired to try anything else!

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:56 PM

If you did the Last Known Good Configuration you had to either do this from a disc or in the Advanced Boot Options, how did you run it?

If it was from the Advanced Boot Options you should be able to boot into Safe Mode. If you can boot into Safe Mode this will give us a better idea as to what is going on.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 kornykid

kornykid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:26 PM

Hi sorry took awhile to get back. Getting into Safe Mode was the first thing I tried to do. It didn't work so I tried the Last Good Configuration as I was able to go back to the desktop. I also had went into the Registry, Microsoft/Explorer/ScheduledTasks,in the value deleted any networking and the installed Netgear Wireless. Then went to C:\Program Files\NETGEAR and deleted all files manually. So getting those files off I thought to try Safe Mode again and still can not get into it. It starts to load all the system files and then stops,page flashes twice and stops on the loading system file page. Will not go to the login page where I have a password. I had problems this morning setting up my profile to log on this forum and sent a brief instance of this. I have my application/support cd but that erasing the hard drive and losing my files and hours of updating is not what I like. I don't know if I can update it anymore. I am working from my laptop with windows7 and can download programs to put on it if needed. I can't remember what files started to load on Safe Boot but can try again to see what file is causing the freeze up? Just ask I'm willing to try at this point.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users