Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Thoughts About Comodo Internet Security?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Sightless

Sightless

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:02 PM

Just put it on my laptop running Windows 8. I can see somewhat of a system impact, but to me, the HIPS protection is worth it.

Opinions? I know Comodo did something questionable regarding security or something in the past.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:34 PM

Hi -
Full or partial Comodo suite - Meaning Antivirus / Firewall combination ??

Not sure of all their past "problems" or "questionable activities", but it seems to generally be a very good system -

#3 Sightless

Sightless
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:38 PM

I went ahead and put the AV/Firewall on it. I know the Windows firewall is adequate, but I wanted to experiment.

I read a few years ago that Comodo had made a questionable decision when it came to something, but I can't remember what <_<

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:41 PM

The only "bad thing" is to be sure you Reject the Hot Surf add-on tool bar at download -
Most other items relate back to 2008, or there abouts -

EDIT - Did you get this offer ??
Comodo Internet Security Complete 2012
One Time Offer: - $39.99 - Right Now: $30 Off

Edited by noknojon, 04 December 2012 - 04:47 PM.

#5 Sightless

Sightless
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:15 PM

Oh I know all about add-ons and toolbars.

I am running the free version actually. But I did get offered to buy it for $30 off at some point (maybe before downloading?)

#6 n01paranoid

n01paranoid

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:56 AM

I agree about HIPS protection - Comodo's Defense+ is awesome, but I'm not so keen on the anti virus component of CIS. For me a better combination is Comodo Firewall with Defense+ enabled but without the anti virus, plus Avast 7 free anti virus. You still get COMODO'S HIPS protection but with a considerably better anti virus. I've been using the Avast/Comodo combo for about 18 months and it's the best security package I've ever used, free or paid, and not a sniff of any malware (as far as I know anyway).

#7 Sightless

Sightless
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:49 PM

I run Avast on my desktop, I'm sort of experimenting with Comodo on my laptop. I used to use their firewall w/ HIPS enabled years ago, thought I'd give their AV a chance.

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:47 PM

There was an unexplained cannot initialize update error when I installed Comodo AV in Win XP after a month of testing. Though Comodo have the auto-update feature running in the background, the Comodo's logo icon was always in orange/caution level that a full scan and update is needed which breaks the automatic update features. The sandbox feature is either good/strict or bad/intrusive depending on the users view of this technology. The boot time effect atleast on a Win XP system is still unknown but after going back to Avast, gave me back the desired loading times a bit faster. It still looks more of a BETA version or maybe prefers a newer Windows OS(?) since I have not tried it in Windows 7.

Tekken

#9 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:40 PM

I would say I always thought the firewall we the best.. Has a bit of a learning curve to it tho'
Not a fan of the AV.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#10 DarkSnake-Kobra

DarkSnake-Kobra

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:31 PM

I went ahead and put the AV/Firewall on it. I know the Windows firewall is adequate, but I wanted to experiment.

I read a few years ago that Comodo had made a questionable decision when it came to something, but I can't remember what <_<

They've gotten in trouble for giving digital certificates for malware infested sites or something of another I think it was. Also within the last year or two I believe they had an issue with one of their 3rd parties that had their signing systems compromised by reusing the same password.

Here's a search link to Steven's blog with tons of things on Comodo supporting the bad guys.

http://hphosts.blogspot.com/search?q=comodo

#11 Sightless

Sightless
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:45 PM

They've gotten in trouble for giving digital certificates for malware infested sites or something of another I think it was. Also within the last year or two I believe they had an issue with one of their 3rd parties that had their signing systems compromised by reusing the same password.

Here's a search link to Steven's blog with tons of things on Comodo supporting the bad guys.

http://hphosts.blogspot.com/search?q=comodo

Ah! That's what it was. The digital certificate fiasco. Thanks for that :)

#12 DarkSnake-Kobra

DarkSnake-Kobra

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:22 PM

You're welcome. :)

#13 Alex-C

Alex-C

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:22 PM

Just put it on my laptop running Windows 8. I can see somewhat of a system impact, but to me, the HIPS protection is worth it.

Opinions? I know Comodo did something questionable regarding security or something in the past.

I think Comodo is a great suite because it offers a layered protection (AV, FW, HIPS, Sandbox). Maybe not the best for total beginners because of the hips prompts, but indeed a great suite. In fact, a security setup that i used for a long time was Comodo, Avira free and Sandboxie.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users