Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BIOS not properly detecting hard drive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Izlandi

Izlandi

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:10 PM

Hi!

I recently bought an SSD from Samsung and installed Windows 7 to it. Everything is running smoothly except that Windows 7, nor my BIOS seem to be able to detect my old hard drive anymore. My motherboard is Asus P8P67 Pro, I have updated it to the most current version of BIOS. It detects my SSD and DVD just fine, but not my old harddrive which is an WD20EARS, and it has another Windows 7 installed on it, in case that matters.

I've managed to have it show up: if I reset to default settings in BIOS, restarts, and then hit F8 to get into BIOS once again it WILL show up on the "choose boot"-thingy, as soon as I enter the actual BIOS it's nowhere to be found.

I have tested with different SATA-cables that I know work, and different slots that I know work (seeing as my SSD work fine with the cables/slots). If I choose to boot onto the old WD-drive, it will try to do so for 30 seconds or so (displaying a black screen with _ flashing) until finally booting on my second choice, which is the SSD. If no other device is connected, it will simply state that I need to insert a device which it can boot from.

Any help would be appreciated. I can provide pictures from the inside of my computer if you want to see how it's wired or something.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Hadnjury

Hadnjury

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:23 PM

Hello,

Have you tried changing the jumper setting on the drive to slave?
Some people think technology has the answers - Kevin Mitnick

#3 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:52 PM

You have both drives looking as system drives... unless you need both Win 7(?) or one as data drive.

Tekken

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:08 PM

Are the respective drives...viewable within each Windows 7 install...as secondary drives?

Does Disk Management reflect both?

I would expect not...but it doesn't hurt to clarify.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users