Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

.cdb file??

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 alir90

alir90

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:37 PM

Hey guys can anyone please help me how to open a .cdb file? I havent come across a simple software to open this file. It is soo frustrating .. this file apparently has some of my course questions for the past papers thats why i need to open it. This file opens up in microsoft word for example in gibberish

kBqJLu2-4V3Y[1]oLSf ] r.϶NU?zl|g#!SW@/^FL3<
NT]|P1S8d}Lnk

:KvxW[P:M2%W [1]!r‑o:+_

Like so. Please help. i can send the file to anyone who would know as well.

MANY thanks for in advance to anyone who can help.

Regards

Ali

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:05 PM

Hello,I believe you need to get the software that was used to make those files.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:00 PM

The most likely program I could find would be a stripped down MS Access database file created by Pocket Access on Windows Mobile.

#4 alir90

alir90
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:08 PM

@boopme .. how do i know which software it was that made it?

@nanobyte as far as i think its nothing related to that as it is an exam style multiple choice question paper. i just need to access questions. Any other suggestions?

thanks alot for trying

#5 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:25 PM

Perhaps the paper was circulated around by people with mobile phones? I found some links for converting .cdb files to some other obscure mobile phone format, equally useless. Where did this file come from? Someone related to the exam created it.

Have you tried googling for the exam and questions you are interested in eg, "byzantine art" "semester 3" "harvard" "past papers"?

Edited by Nanobyte, 04 December 2012 - 06:32 PM.

#6 alir90

alir90
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:31 PM

SUre did. had no luck with that. would sending you the file be any good. perhaps you can help me that way>
?

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,699 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:25 PM

How do you know you have to open that file?
Do you have some instructions asking you to open that specific file?
What is the exact file location on your computer?

Upload the file(s) here: http://uploadmb.com/
Copy the link inside the Direct Link box and post it in your next reply.

Maybe this will ring some bell: http://filext.com/file-extension/CDB

Primary association: CardScanCompany: Corex Technologies
Other applications associated with file type CDB:

• Clipboard File
  • FreeOTFE (Keyfile) by Sarah DeanFreeOTFE is a free, open source, on-the-fly transparent disk encryption program for PCs and PDAs. Using this software, you can create one or more virtual disks on your PC/PDA. These disks operate exactly like a normal disk, with the exception that anything written to one of them is transparently, and securely, encrypted before being stored on your computer's hard drive. The keyfile aka critical data block file, contains metadata relating to an encrypted volume. FreeOTFE keyfiles are typically 512 bytes and appear to contain random data. Although these files normally use the extension .cdb, they can have any file name and extension. Related links: Wikipedia FreeOTFE Page
  • Giza Specifier (Design File) by 20-20 TechnologiesGiza is sales and planning software that improves the way you work. Default locations: C:\Giza\CDB or C:\Program Files\2020\Giza\CDB.
  • Mactive (AdBase Data) by Mactive ABMactive develops integrated IT solutions for the publishing industry. The identifying characters used for this association are - Hex: 41 44 42 61 73 65 20 , ASCII: ADBase
  • Nokia 9210/9290 Phone (Contact Database) by NokiaNokia runs the Symbian operating system.
  • One Page from a ROM With a View Project File
  • Pocket Access (Database) by Microsoft Corporation This association is classified as Database. The identifying characters used for this association are - Hex [Position 2]: 00 00 00 00 00 00 45 4B 49 4D , ASCII: ......EKIMProgram ID: pacfile

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#8 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,947 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:30 PM

According to my research, it appears that this may be a file created by Pocket Access.

Database file created by Pocket Access, a relational database program that is similar to regular Microsoft Access, but reduced in complexity for Pocket PC mobile devices; may contain relational database schemas, forms, and reports; used to store Access data on mobile devices.

From here: http://www.fileinfo.com/extension/cdb

From what I read on that site, you can use Microsoft ActiveSync to convert the file to an .mdb file which can then be opened with MS Access.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#9 alir90

alir90
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:19 PM

http://www.uploadmb.com/dw.php?id=1354745563

Here you go sir!

#10 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,699 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:58 PM

You didn't answer other questions:

How do you know you have to open that file?
Do you have some instructions asking you to open that specific file?

Is this the file location?
C:\Documents and Settings\champton\Desktop\Customers\CIMA\New Papers

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#11 alir90

alir90
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:16 PM

Sorry.
Yes ermm welll i copied the files off of another computer which was in the college and it seemed to open these fine. the only problem is i cant access it back and the college is closed until feb and my exaams are before. As far as i remember i copied it from the c:\documents and settings < some where in there.. dont remember precisely.
As far as the question goes how i know this is the file to open.. well i have some other files with it. i will now send you the link that i have of all the files i thought were necessary to open it.

http://www.uploadmb.com/dw.php?id=1354749072

i put them all in zip. under the folder of question database is the cdb file. which i was assuming have the questions.

#12 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:40 AM

As best I can tell based on the provided files, it appears that the file you possess is part of an examination system (i-assess) for the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants. You will need this software to successfully open and read this file.

My recommendation is that you contact your course teacher or advisor or other individual associated with your course so that you can receive assistance on how to proceed.

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users