Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sony VAIO VPCCW26FX freezing/crashing intermittently

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Ajaxanon

Ajaxanon

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:21 PM

My laptop freezes fairly frequently. The screen doesn't change, and I can't move the mouse, open up the task manager or anything. The only thing I can do is hold the power button down and turn it off. I ran Defraggler to check if there were any bad sections in my hdd and defragment it, but it showed no problems with the hdd. How should I proceed?

Thanks for any help with this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:23 AM

Did you checked the laptop's side ventilation if air blowing out is hot? When was the laptop cleaned from dust internally? Applying some thermal paste for the CPU would also be an additional step. Can you run the Vaio hardware/software diagnostic utility in Windows to check for health and system performance? The Vaio utility would give you a comprehensive report or status for any issues it would find.

Tekken

#3 Ajaxanon

Ajaxanon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:50 PM

Thanks jhayz. I wasn't aware that Vaio had such a comprehensive diagnostics utility. I ran the program and made some recommended changes. I'll just have to wait and see if that resolves the issue. With regards to the air vent, it does run fairly hot at times, but I did run a program to monitor the cpu heat, and it seemed fine. I have not reapplied thermal paste and have not cleaned the vents properly in over a year. I figured the laptop would turn itself off if the core reached a certain temperature, but I guess I could give those things a try if it continues to freeze.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:03 PM

If the freezes occurs on a specific event, it could be the software itself or a conflict with other software installed. If its randomly, it could be a hardware and software combination. Run a memory test for the RAM sticks and inspect for any changes before this happen.

Tekken

#5 Ajaxanon

Ajaxanon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:32 PM

Now that I think about it, it actually tends to happen when I open a new tab in Chrome..

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:44 PM

There are a number of users reporting chrome freezing problem... How about on other browsers? You could reinstall Chrome as the obvious possible solution.

Tekken

#7 Ajaxanon

Ajaxanon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:52 PM

Ok, I'll try switching over to firefox for a while (or do you recommend another browser?) and will look into the chrome freezing issue. Thanks for the help btw!

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:57 PM

I have 4 browsers installed - IE9, Firefox 17, Google Chrome 23 and FlashPeak SlimBrowser. IE9 and FF are my main browsers. Do you clear any browser cache files frequently or have you?

Tekken

#9 Ajaxanon

Ajaxanon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:23 PM

So I switched over to firefox, and my computer has been stalling/freezing more (might be unrelated to the browser, but seems to happen when a lot of the computer's resources are being used). I ran a ram diagnostics tool, and it said the memory was fine. Any other ideas so what could be causing the problem?

#10 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:16 PM

Try downloading Speccy and then install the program. To post and publish a snapshot of your PC.
. In the Menu bar, click File -> Publish Snapshot
. Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard
. On your next reply, right-click on a empty space and click Paste on reply box then click Post.

Download SecurityCheck.exe from Here

. Run SecurityCheck and follow the instruction from inside the code box.
. When the scan is finished, a notepad will automatically open as check.txt
Please copy and paste the contents here on your next reply.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users