Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weaning myself from Cable TV

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 HydroLar

HydroLar

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:19 PM

Cable TV, IMO, is one of those incredibly useless addictions that slowly drain your money...

I have had cable TV since 1970 or so when it was first installed in our area but back then it was unique and affordable. Now it is not - and it has changed over the decades. More and more I found myself browsing over 200 channels and not finding anything to watch so once cable cost increased by yet another $40 per month I decided to drop cable tv completely.

Yes, like any addiction, there is withdrawal but I have what I believe to be a worthy substitute, a SHUTTLE XS35GS V3 PC hooked directly to my TV via HDMI using my TV as a monitor. It is fanless, relying on heat sinks to dispel heat, and measures a scant 10 in (254 mm) X 6.25 in (159 mm) X 1.5 in (38 mm). Here are the specs:

Operating System MICROSOFT WINDOWS 7 HOME PREMIUM 32BIT
Processor INTEGRATED INTEL DUAL CORE ATOM D2700 2.13GHz 1MB
Memory 4GB DDR3 SODIMM MEMORY
Drive Bay 1 500GB SATA 5400RPM 8MB 2.5"
Optical Drive 8X8 DVD+-RW SLIM DVD BURNER
Graphic Card INTEGRATED AMD RADEON HD7410M (D-SUB + HDMI)
Network Interface INTEGRATED 10/100/1000 ETHERNET (JMC251)
Wireless Module INTEGRATED 802.11B/G/N WIRELESS LAN
Mouse and Keyboard LOGITECH USB CORDLESS KEYBOARD AND MOUSE
Sound INTEGRATED 2.1 CHANNEL HD AUDIO

So far I am happy with it...

The system unit has gotten rather warm at times but has not overheated - then again it is winter here and cool in the house so who knows how it will act in the summer.

So if anyone out there is looking for a cable TV substitute this unit is worth checking out.

Edited by hamluis, 05 December 2012 - 04:47 PM.
Moved from Buying New Computer to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

Posted Image

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." - Marcus Aurelius

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:55 PM

So you replaced TV channels with a Computer?

You should have looked at Satellite TV with a HD DVR. Record whatever catches your eye and watch when you want.

Good Luck with the training.
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 HydroLar

HydroLar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:15 PM

Satellite TV would have been a nice option except I live in the middle of a forest with huge oak trees all around my house. I was told by a satellite TV company that I needed to take down a large number of trees before a receiver would work.

Some of those trees are easily 4 feet in diameter - much too large for me to handle and too close to the house.

HydroLar
Posted Image

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." - Marcus Aurelius

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:47 PM

I guess that would be a real job if they are that big.

However I'll bet it is nice living there.

It sounds as if you are now watching tv shows via the networks websites.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users