Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New PC build issues

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 90awdturbo

90awdturbo

• Validating
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:50 AM

So I built a PC for a friend the other day and ran into an issue when i fired it up. Basically it will fire up for a second, the cpu cooler fan would spin extremely slow, and then it shuts back off. Rinse and repeat until I manually shut it down. I thought this could be a power supply issue but after trying 2 others I'm still having the same problem. Is the MB dead?
"Your biggest critics are your best friends" -Benjamin Franklin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:55 PM

Recheck your connections, all of them. Make sure that the standoffs of the motherboard are keeping the motherboard from grounding to the case.

Did you apply thermal compound between the heat sink and the CPU?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 90awdturbo

90awdturbo
  • Topic Starter

• Validating
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:25 PM

Thanks for the response. So this was a mini ITX build, first one actually. The MB I'm using you can find here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813135323. So I've tried everything you've said and more, even added some stand offs(none came with the case) which appeared to be built in where the MB mounts. I'm thinking at this point it's either the RAM I'm trying to use http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314 or the board is just dead. What are you thinking?
"Your biggest critics are your best friends" -Benjamin Franklin

#4 pontiacinf

pontiacinf

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:31 PM

I have the exact same issue with a asus p6t i7 x58 board. Everything spins for 2-3 seconds and dies only my MB has two lights on it power (glowing red) and reset (green) and I can not get the board to reset for the life of me.

#5 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:38 AM

The generic "power but no post" diag:

Unplug everything except: power connectors (24 and 4 pin), video output to monitor, and one stick of memory. Retest.
Swap sticks of RAM, swap slots....retest. If no post.........

Pull board from case, put it on a non conductive surface (ie don't lay it on a sheet of aluminum foil) hook up and retest as above. If still no boot, pull cooler and CPU, inspect closely for damaged/burned pins/contacts. Is the CPU fan connected to the "CPU FAN" header and not a case fan header?

Doublecheck to see if your CPU is supported by the board/BIOS revision. What CPU?

EDIT: I do wish you luck with it. Disheartening when a new build doesn't post.

Edited by dpunisher, 07 December 2012 - 10:40 AM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#6 billy gates son

billy gates son

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:49 PM

I would try to clear the BIOS as well by pulling the battery and doing the clear procedure.
I fixed a computer that got knocked over and wouldn't boot anymore, it did after the BIOS was reset from the battery pull.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users