Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can anyone recommend health check software for Win7

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 hedera

hedera

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:51 PM

I searched for this but couldn't find anything, sorry if this question is repetitious. I have an HP Pavilion Slimline desktop running Win7 Pro. As a rule I don't use the HP Support Assistant, but I did let it run its monthly hardware check, and it's already identified a failing hard drive once, so the check is useful. However, recently HP updated the thing and the new version simply Will Not Run. Shortly after I bought the PC, a failed upgrade process for HP Support Assistant kept me from using the printer scanner for several months while I sorted out a peculiar error in HP's install sequence; and I just wasn't about to do their debugging for them again. So after it went into an "I've hit an error and need to close" loop, I uninstalled it, and I'm now looking for another tool that will do that "all-in-one" health check on disk, memory, etc. Any suggestions, preferably but not necessarily free?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:40 PM

The OEM software utility was designed to be a hardware/software monitoring checker intended for the particular model. There is not one that can replace their complete setup. What you need are tools usually found on the hardware manufacturing site for hard drives, memtest+ for RAMS, stresstest softwares for CPU/GPU, etc. which are individually downloadable and created either by CD/USB or can be run within Windows environment.

Tekken

#3 hedera

hedera
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:38 PM

JHayz, thanks for the clarification on the testing software. It's too bad HP can't write functional software. I'll look into the OEM tools.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users