Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SSD vs HDD question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 RB_Kandy

RB_Kandy

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:51 PM

I am debating on whether to get a SSD or to raid 2 fast HDD's

What do you people think would be faster:

SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD256BW 256GB (SSD)

Or running a RAID_0 with two Western Digital WD VelociRaptor WD3000HLHX 300GB (HDD)

Also I found VelociRaptors on sale for $69

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 blacktiger826

blacktiger826

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:14 PM

Id go SSD anyday. Simply because of 2 things. 1: The SSD will probably be faster, and since its the 840 pro it almost certainly will be. 2: RAID 0 is much more prone to failure and in addition velociraptors are HDDs and are much louder than a silent SSD.

ALSO I dont advise you get the 840 pro. Its new and is untested, and until strenuous and lengthy use by a lot of people happens and they have favorable results, I can't call it a reliable drive. The 830 model on the other hand is a reliable, quick, and awesome drive. Its less expensive and in anything but the toughest benchmark test, it will preform exactly the same. Don't go with the normal 840 btw it uses cheaper memory.

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:14 PM

From what I can find, a RAID 0 pair of those Velociraptors are about 75-80% as fast as that Samsung 840 Pro, assuming a SATA3/6 Gbit/s board.

There is a reason an SSD main drive (OS and programs), with a regular hard drive for storage, is the most common setup on high perf home systems.

EDIt: Just read the above post, and I agree in principle. Samsung released a new firmware revision (should be on all shipping drives) to fix the dying problems some review sites discovered during testing/benchmarking. Ditto on the 830, have one on the wifes new build, and it is happy hardware.

Edited by dpunisher, 02 December 2012 - 08:18 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 RB_Kandy

RB_Kandy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:29 PM

I thank you both for the advice.
However, with the VelociRaptor being something I've wanted since it first came out and on sale... I just gotta go ahead and buy them LOL

I am going to buy the Samsung SSD as well I'll Put windows on the SSD and Linux on the Raptors.

I was going to buy the 830 like you advised, but they're all sold out of the capacity I want. So it's either pay way too much for a higher capacity, or save a few bucks on not enough capacity. Heck, I'll wait on the Samsung, another few weeks. Maybe they'll be back in stock. If not I will buy the 840 pro, heck someone's gotta be the first generation to test hardware out LOL

But since the Samsung is faster,I will definitely be buying either the 830 or 840 in the very near future.
So thanks for the advice guys.

Besides, after I have the raptors and the 840, I can post some bench marks and see if I come up with the 75%-80% that other guy came up with.

#5 blacktiger826

blacktiger826

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:58 PM

Good plan... That's actually very similar to my setup. I use my 830 as an os and often used programs drive and I have 2 caviar blacks as my storage. Im not sure where you live or what store or website you are looking at, but make sure to check out amazon, tiger direct, and NCIX too(for ncix there are 2 different sites for canada and US). Ill assume you checked out newegg since its the most commonly known. All those websites have good deals and often you can find some good prices.

Other than that, enjoy the drives. Both the SSD and the velociraptors are extremely fast and reliable.

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:52 PM

For the ultimate in speed Stripe two SSD drives.

For me I'm happy with the SSD boot and programs drive and 7200 rpm for data.

I liked the first SSD I got so much I switched my laptops over too.

Then when I did my brothers I7 build I went 160Gb SSD and 1Tb Data drive.

Intel and Samsung SSDs. Mostly Intel.

Once you go SSD you will not want to go back.

Where the SSD will trample the velociraptors is in latency and that is despite the high RPM. No waiting for the data to come around or the head to change tracks.

The SSD latency stays the same from start to finish of the drive unlike a hard drive where it changes.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users