Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDMI audio problems

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 caccigirl

caccigirl

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:23 PM

So I have some strange problems when using an HDMI cable to connect my laptop to my TV.

The basics of my situation...I have a Sony VAIO laptop with Windows 7. I have two Sony Vizio TVs.

Up until about a month ago, everything was fine. I would regularly use an HDMI cable to plug in my laptop to my TV and watch movies, either DVDs, streaming from Netflix, streaming from Amazon instant video, from other streaming sites, or from my iTunes library.

Suddenly, something is wrong with the audio. I can't get audio on my TV from ANY video. That's the strange part. You know when you adjust your volume, and there's a little 'ding'? I can hear that. The audio is working. But any VIDEO with audio...nope. Silent. Not even YouTube videos. I've contacted Sony, and they wanted $50 to try and diagnose the problem over the phone. My warranty is out, so I can't take it to BestBuy or back to the manufacturer. I've done my research, but it seems like I'm the only one who's ever had this problem?

I've messed around with my audio settings on both my TV and laptop. I don't think the TV is the problem, nor the hdmi cable (I have two, and they are clearly not defective). I am just so dumbfounded why it won't play audio from any videos. HELP. Please. I've updated my computer and my sound drivers....I have no idea what to do anymore.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Hadnjury

Hadnjury

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:55 PM

Hello,

Do you have sound when not plugged into your tv?
Some people think technology has the answers - Kevin Mitnick

#3 caccigirl

caccigirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:02 PM

Yes I do. And like I said, when I plug it in, I can get sound. For example, when I adjust the volume, and it 'dings'. I can hear that through my TV speakers. But it's when I'm playing ANY sort of video ... I can't get the audio from it.

#4 Hadnjury

Hadnjury

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:17 PM

Try a different cable and make sure your audio codecs are updated too

#5 caccigirl

caccigirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:18 PM

The cables are fine - I have two brand new one. And what do you mean by audio codecs?

#6 Hadnjury

Hadnjury

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:23 PM

Go to device manager and click the plus sign next to audio devices. You should see one that pertains to a codec. Anything happen that could have caused this to stop functioning, such as power outage, installed any new hardware or software?

Edited by Hadnjury, 03 December 2012 - 09:33 AM.

#7 caccigirl

caccigirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:38 PM

I'm not even seeing audio devices on my list? The only audio-related device I have is 'sound, video, and game controllers'. Under that are two things, 'intel® display audio' and 'realtek high definition audio'. Help?

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:25 PM

Go to your sound icon in system tray then right-click properties and check what playback device is default. Check your Intel Properties Display for any HDMI external display settings also.

Tekken

#9 caccigirl

caccigirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:43 PM

When I go to the sound icon in my system tray and right-click, properties isn't on the list? I just see 'open volume mixer', 'playback devices', 'recording devices', 'sounds', and 'volume control options'.

I went ahead and clicked 'playback devices.' The default (and only one on the list) is 'Speaker/HP - Realtek High Definition Audio' and it's checked as the default.

How would I go about checking my Intel Properties Display for my hdmi settings?

#10 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:39 PM

Right click on an empty are of your Windows desktop and choose Graphics Properties - Advanced mode while the HDMI is connected by external screen.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users