Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Purchase Template: Need Laptop with Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dev00790

dev00790

Bleeping Chocoholic

• Members
  • 5,037 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:25 PM

My budget for the new computer is: £400

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)?
Malware research on VMs (often may be reinstalling host OS), and using laptop for training Courses

What software do you intend on using on the computer?
Office suite, VMs, Browsers, antimalware & antivirus.
Compilers, debuggers.

Do you play games? If so, what type of games?
I won't be playing games that would require a dedicated graphics card on the laptop.

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it?
Upto 7 programs may need to be running. When I've finished with a program I tend to close it.

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer?
The laptop won't be used for storing pictures or music.

Edit:
Additional info - Windows Home Premium (minimum), and easy access to HDD / SSD & memory for possibility of future upgrades if possible.

Edited by dev00790, 02 December 2012 - 12:38 PM.

Regards, dev00790

---------------------------------------

Marge: "Homer, the plant called. They said if you don't show up tomorrow don't bother showing up on Monday." Homer: "Woo-hoo! Four-day weekend!"I do not reply to Private Messages (PMs) asking for assistance - please use the forums instead. If I have been helping you, and I have not replied to your latest post in 48 hours please send me a PM. My Blog

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:06 PM

No suggestions for a specific model, The only real way to decide if you will like the screen and keyboard is to try one before buying.
However here are some tips.

Dell, HP (Compaq) and Lenovo as a general rule have their service manuals available on their websites for anyone to download and use.
Acer and Toshiba do not.

So if you stick to the first three brands you can look at the manual to see how easy the drives and memory are to access.

General rule, The thinner the laptop the less likely it is that the drive will be easy to get to. If you do not see a way to change the battery beware. The Ultra Thin laptops seem to use a really thin flat bodied battery that is internal and can not be changed easily.

I had to change the DC in jack on one of the Ultra thin Toshibas. Pain in the neck. The keyboard and mouse are glued to the top cover and must be replaced if removed. Great :censored: Design, Why to keep size and weight down.

You might also think touch screen since it looks like future windows will need one.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 dev00790

dev00790

Bleeping Chocoholic

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,037 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:57 AM

I got a Toshiba Laptop in the post xmas sales. Thanks for your help :).

Regards, dev00790

---------------------------------------

Marge: "Homer, the plant called. They said if you don't show up tomorrow don't bother showing up on Monday." Homer: "Woo-hoo! Four-day weekend!"I do not reply to Private Messages (PMs) asking for assistance - please use the forums instead. If I have been helping you, and I have not replied to your latest post in 48 hours please send me a PM. My Blog

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:25 PM

Thanks for the feedback
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users