Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WIN 7 OS NOT FOUND ON BOOTING UP

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 anamika29501

anamika29501

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:25 PM

Hello
I've a Sony VAIO ( Model no :VGN- NW-150J) with a Win 7 OS. I'm getting an OS not found error on booting up.

The first time I noticed things weren't quite right was right after some Windows updates ,a couple of months ago if the laptop was left idle,the laptop would freeze & I had to force shut it downby powering off.
I started getting the OS not found error a couple of times & I resolved it by just shaking it a bit ( yeah sounds crude right) - anyway it would immediately boot up & I could continue.;))
The next time around I used a recovery CD( which I had some sense to create the 1st time around when the OS was still stable) & it helped me solve the problem by reaching Startup repair function
I had Norton 360 antivirus until a couple of weeks ago & when the subscription ran out,I installed the Avast antivirus..& it was still working & I pretended everything's fine.
But yesterday when I tried to start it,I got the same OS not found error & this time no amount of shaking helped:((
Neither did using the recovery CD & getting to the start up repair .
I got the message " Startup repair cannot repair this computer automatically " & on expanding the prob details,the following came up

Problem signature 06 : 1 The rest of the problem signatures were either 0 or unknown I tried launching the VAIO recovery tools & on selecting the scan and repair function,its asking me select the volume to be repaired without any drives being listed in there.. I'm at my wits end trying all these & I 'd really like to see if I could fix this..Even though I've been backing up my data regularly using Norton's back up function to my external HDD,I'm also worried since I don't 've Norton subscription any more - does it mean I cannot restore the data that's been backed up using their program.Also there's a 2 week window I haven't backed up after I switched to Avast.So I'd really like to go in there even if once to back them up all again by any other method..Pleeease help !!!!Thanks for your timeCheers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:01 AM

I have not used the Norton Backup procedure so its only prudent and try another way to backup your files for the HD is failing. http://help.artaro.eu/index.php/data-recovery/recover-files-from-hard-disk.html#.ULsJ0tdFbzW

Tekken

#3 anamika29501

anamika29501
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:30 AM

Thanks for replying promptly. I truly appreciate it. Just a quickie - will I able to burn this Linux CD on a Macbook Pro laptop cos thats what I've access to or can this be done only in a Windows OS??

#4 anamika29501

anamika29501
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:07 PM

I managed to create the Linux Puppy CD on the Mac after some googling.Inserted it,it loaded but above the menu button it only showed the CD and there was no hard drive (sda1)identified. I tried a Knoppix Live Cd but again it is only recognizing the CD as sr0 and no hard drives identified.

Does this mean
  • The hard drive is completely damaged?Posted Image
  • If I were to get a new hard drive ,wouldn't I be able to restore the data that I had backed up using Norton 360 antivirus back up setting.?I thought I only lost 2 weeks of data - have I lost all the precious data????

I can't tell you how I'm desperate for some solutions & guidance to recover the data from it somehow.Posted Image
Will wait to hear from you
Thanks
Sudha

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:08 PM

it loaded but above the menu button it only showed the CD and there was no hard drive (sda1)identified

If you were able to load up to the desktop using the linux live disc w/out the primary HD showing, that is not a good sign... I will ask a deep search if possible from a BC Advisor in this course of event. Hold on as I will PM one ASAP.

Tekken

#6 anamika29501

anamika29501
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:23 PM

Hanging in there with my fingers,toes everything crossed :((

Edited by anamika29501, 02 December 2012 - 09:24 PM.

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:30 PM

There are also USB 2.5/3.5 enclosures available. This will make your HD an external drive attaching it to a USB port. This is just another option to take but no guarantees to give you. Help would come as soon as they are available.

Tekken

#8 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:21 PM

Hi

I discussed this a bit with Jhayz last night.

It appears that he did pretty much what I would have done.

I think that there is a connectivity problem with the hard drive since you've repeatedly repaired it by "shaking it a bit".

Normally an OS missing error means that the disk is being seen but no active partition is found on it. In the case of the Sony Vaio, however, the error is much more general and can occur if the disk is not connected (which I believe to be your case).

You can attempt to remove the drive and connect it to another computer as Jhayz described. You should at least look at it and make sure that it is properly connected before trying to turn the computer on again.

As for your Norton 360 backups. I know Norton has dealt with this issue before and you will probably find a solution from their support. If it is not just a straight backup that you can simply navigate without any special software, that would be fine. If it is the encrypted kind of backup then there is usually a program called arestore.exe in the same folder as the backup. Running arestore.exe should restore the backup. If neither of these work for you, contact Norton's support. Like I said, they've sealt with this situation many times before.

James

#9 anamika29501

anamika29501
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:04 PM

Thanks for your response.Yes my logic was loose connection initially when it was getting sorted after some shaking.I did unscrew & look where the hard drive was,took it out too,but I didn't see any wires connecting it to the system - just the 4 screws to hold it in place.So how do I find out if its properly connected or not??Posted Image

Also,I don't 've an alternative Windows machine but 've access only to a Macbook.The external HDD was formatted for the Sony.So if I connect the Seagate ext HDD (where I've been backing up thru Norton),to the Macbook
  • Will I be able to view the Norton back up files in the Macbook?
  • Since the OS is different for Mac & Sony & the file systems are different ,will connecting it cause data in either the ext HDD or the Mac to be corrupted.(At this point it would break my heart if I lose any more data or machines as its all years worth of memories ,documents & music that is there in the HDD)
I've more questions about how to proceed but I guess I'll fist get some clarification on the above before that Posted Image
Thanks for all your help
Sudha

#10 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:53 PM

I'm not familiar with your exact model of Vaio (VGN- NW-150J) but different Vaio models can have the hard drives installed in very different ways. Some you have to work really hard to get the hard drive out.

Often there is an adapter on the hard drive. Usually a small circuit board that plugs into the hard drive that allows it to connect to the computer through a custom interface that the Vaio uses. When you had it out, did you notice anything like that? See if the adapter is on the drive tightly and if the other side of the adapter is going into the computer tightly and is making good contact.

For all I know, that model may not use an adapter. So I may be completely wrong about that :) If so, then the loose connection may be deeper inside the laptop or deeper inside the hard drive.

Will I be able to view the Norton back up files in the Macbook?

I don't know how you backed them up in Norton 360. I'm not very familiar with that product and I think it gives you options for different ways to backup. If it simply copied the files and directories over like most backup software does, then you should have no problem. If it used some sort of program to encrypt or compress the backup which is proprietary to Norton then you'd have to ask them for a version that works on Macs. They may have a free one for situations like yours.

Since the OS is different for Mac & Sony & the file systems are different ,will connecting it cause data in either the ext HDD or the Mac to be corrupted.(At this point it would break my heart if I lose any more data or machines as its all years worth of memories ,documents & music that is there in the HDD)

I don't see a problem with that as long as you are just connecting it as a data drive and trying to read or copy data from it.

James

#11 anamika29501

anamika29501
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:53 PM

The sony HD looked like this (shown in link)http://www.docs.sony.com/release/989200137_VGNNW_series_HDD_CRU.pdf
My link

I connected ext HDD to my Mac

• I could see many of old backed up folders which I used to manually copy & I could even open those files
  • I saw a few other Norton related folders
- N360 which has sub folders with different letters & numbers but on opening it,I'm not able to make sense of those.
-ARestore.exe
-Arestore.loc

So am I right to think they are encrypted which again brings to another question(might sound silly but believe me I don't want to do this wrong).Can data backed from a windows OS restored to a Macbook?
I contacted Norton support who after giving me a run around for hours,told me that the new computer where I would be restoring the files should 've Norton 360....(as if I would go to them again after this nightmare).
Reading up on that I found this
norton 360

which essentially reiterates the same.
Can you tell me if there is any work around this cos I do not plan to take up Norton services again.Posted Image

#12 anamika29501

anamika29501
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:14 PM

I even thought of getting a trial version of N360 (just to restore the backed up files to the Macbook) but again there's no N360 for Macs!!!!Posted Image

#13 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:27 PM

Hi

If you can connect it to a Windows computer (maybe a friend's PC or laptop) and then run that ARestore.exe, I think that will allow you to decrypt all of the files in it so you can navigate them normally. You will need enough free space to copy the files to.

On the pictures for the drive replacement, note the piece with the slots on it that the drive slides into (you use that clear pull tab on top of it to slide it in and out of the slots). That piece often has a plug underneath it where it plugs into the motherboard. It should not wobble at all and it usually is attached to the motherboard in such a way that pushing down on it (not too hard) should make sure that it is plugged in tightly.

Since it looks like the hard drive is not the problem, I strongly suspect that connector.

James

#14 anamika29501

anamika29501
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:47 AM

Thanks for the reply - sorry its been a hectic 2 days.
Friends too have Mac computers. <_< so seeing if my drive would work or going for a new one are my 2 options.
I opened my laptop, got the casing with the drive out but unfortunately the smallest screw driver that I've is not the right one to get the 4 screws out of the metal casing.So I'll 'VE to get back to you once I buy it & try to get it out.
Regarding a new hard drive,I checked out the specs of the existing one which is as follows :

Speed : 5400rpm
Storage Capacity : 320GB2
Storage Type : Serial ATA
I'd like to know
  • If I can go for a higher disk space( say 500 gb) & would that be a problem?
    [list]
  • Which one would be better - seagate or western digital or any other u recommend based on your experience?
  • What are the best links to buy online?
Thanks for all words of wisdom
Sudha

#15 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:08 AM

Hi

You should be able to find a 500GB 2.5" SATA drive that is compatible with your Vaio for a reasonable price (less than $75). Any major brand is fine as long as the drive is new and not used.

Personally, I usually use Amazon or TigerDirect to purchase hard drives but there are others that are just as good like Newegg.

James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users