Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dry box for basement server

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 winchester_101

winchester_101

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:08 PM

Hello again,

It's been a while since I've visited the forum, I've been involved in a move to a new house. With my new home comes a new question (or more).

I am running a wired and wireless home network, using Windows XP, that currently consists of 1 desktop PC (wired) and 1 laptop (wireless). Internet connection is cable modem and is shared via a Netgear router.

I am planning to add an additional desktop PC to act as a server, for various tasks, it will most likely be wired to the network. I plan to locate this PC in a central location in my home, so as to make wiring accessories such as cameras easier. Due to the layout of my home, this PC will reside in the basement.

My basement seems relatively dry (has a gas hot water heater, a gas furnace and no visible signs of dampness. It also contains a home security alarm system panel), but I want to make absolutely sure that my server is trouble free. So, I'm wondering, should I build a type of "dry box" in the basement to house the PC, monitor, keyboard and mouse??

I'm thinking of a plywood box, perhaps with an exhaust fan, and maybe silica packs inside to soak up any latent moisture. This should hedge my bet against any moisture related problems, I believe.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks

W101

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:40 AM

Unless its raining inside or you have standing water there shouldn't be a need for a dry box.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users