Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hanging blank desktop- WMI?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 KP33

KP33

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:51 PM

Recently, about every 1 in 3 or 4 times that I boot up my computer, Windows (7 Ultimate, no SP1) goes through the normal startup screen, but upon arriving at the desktop, no icons/Explorer/taskbar appear, nor does the cursor- it's almost completely frozen, just showing the desktop background. The only response I can get is via Ctrl+Alt+Del, which just brings me to a black screen, and Esc brings me back to the blank desktop, that's it. I don't have to hard reset to shutdown, if I just press the power button once, the desktop will fade to black (like a normal shutdown), and just turn off correctly (no unexpected shutdown messages or Kernel Power errors) after a while. It seems to be occurring increasingly often.

I have not seen the problem occur in safe mode- however, because the problem does not occur every time, it could just be that I've only booted in safe mode on occasions when it wasn't going to do it.

Looking at Event Viewer, the most consistent error I get in relation to this is WMI Event 10:

"Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected."

Now, for this error, obviously the online help for that event suggests that the fix is to update permanent event subscriptions with the WMI Event Registration tool, but I'm very unfamiliar with WMI and such things, and while I'm sure I could figure it out given time, I'd rather solve this sooner rather than later, and I'm not getting anywhere with that program. Additionally, I ran WMI Diag, which came up with a large number of errors.

If anyone could point me in a more useful direction in how to update the permanent event subscriptions for this particular error, or anything else, I would be grateful. I can supply the WMI Diag output or anything else if needed.

Other possibly related errors include:
Event 1002 (though this is described as an unimportant, self-fixing error, which I can confirm, but it continually reappears, even though it's being fixed in between): The IP address lease 10.1.1.7 for the Network Card with network address 0x001F337767D6 has been denied by the DHCP server 10.1.1.1 (The DHCP Server sent a DHCPNACK message).

Event 7001: The Network List Service service depends on the Network Location Awareness service which failed to start because of the following error:
The dependency service or group failed to start.

Event 11: The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk7\DR7.

Event 1000: Faulting application name: coreServiceShell.exe, version: 2.0.0.1313, time stamp: 0x4e31a77c
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7600.16915, time stamp: 0x4ec49caf
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00028c1c
Faulting process id: 0x6c0
Faulting application start time: 0x01cdccec2bf6f1a4
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\AMSP\coreServiceShell.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 64d9152e-3904-11e2-b97c-0022156dded3

Event 10005: DCOM got error "1084" attempting to start the service WSearch with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{7D096C5F-AC08-4F1F-BEB7-5C22C517CE39}

Feel like I'm just listing off errors here. If anybody could help, that'd be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:06 AM

Download MiniToolBox and select
List Last 10 Event Viewers, List Installed Programs and List Users, Partitions and Memory Size.
A notepad will open then copy-paste the report on your next reply.

Download Speccy and then install the program. To post and publish a snapshot of your PC.
. In the Menu bar, click File -> Publish Snapshot
. Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard
. On your next reply, right-click on a empty space and click Paste on reply box then click Post.

Tekken

#3 KP33

KP33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:46 PM

Thanks for the reply.

MiniToolBox report:

Spoiler

Speccy snapshot:

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:15 AM

Do you usually have your portable drives attached when powering up your desktop?

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 @ 2.33GHz: 72 °C

- That may be running high for its temp. range.

Trend Micro Titanium (Version: 5.00)
Trend Micro Titanium Maximum Security 2012 (Version: 5.4)

Do you happen to still keep an old version that was not uninstalled? Having 2 would create certain lags or after effects in your system. Remove also crap softwares like registry cleaners or tuneup utilities.

Tekken

#5 KP33

KP33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:22 AM

Do you usually have your portable drives attached when powering up your desktop?

Yes, but there shouldn't be an intrinsic problem with this, should there? I mean, maybe it'd take longer to boot if it has to read all the files on them too or something, and there could be a software error or clash related to one of them that unplugging them would identify, but there's nothing specifically wrong with leaving externals plugged in?

That may be running high for its temp. range.

Yeah, I agree. A week or so ago the fans suddenly became significantly louder, start of a heatwave that's now passed. Need to open up and check it's not crammed with dust or anything. Certainly not good and will be looked into, but the bootup problem predates this, and my computer hasn't seemed unusually slow or any other problems since.

Do you happen to still keep an old version that was not uninstalled? Having 2 would create certain lags or after effects in your system. Remove also crap softwares like registry cleaners or tuneup utilities.

I'm not sure what's going on there, I can't and haven't previously seen anything to indicate the previous version wasn't removed, only the 2012 Titanium seems to show up in Programs & Features or C:/Program Files.

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:58 PM

Your Trend Micro Protection Software might have a built-in Firewall feature and your Speccy report also shows you have Windows Firewall running at the same time which is not recommended. I would disable the Windows feature on this and remove the portable drives to check on the difference after resolving the thermal events factor that might contribute to your issue. The loading of windows startup services along with programs installed that required to run (or not) on boot time could affect your system performance. Any USB powered hardware device preconnected/detected is also part of the BIOS and windows process.

Tekken

#7 KP33

KP33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:13 PM

Today, I was about to come back here and thank you for your help, because the problem hadn't been occurring, but then this morning it did, multiple times in a row. Firstly, in relation to your last post, Trend Micro doesn't have a built in firewall so that's not a problem. The computer consistently started in Safe Mode and Safe Mode with networking, and when I eventually started it normally it was without the portables plugged in- though it still started slowly/strangely, and it's hard to say if it wasn't going to do that anyway.

The 7001 error seems to be the main one, this time with a different service, Computer Browser depends on the Server.

Spoiler

The Sibelius stuff is a separate problem. Edit: Well, actually, maybe not, it's a program that's not actually fully compatible with Windows 7, but can be run. It doesn't usually have errors of the kind that are noted there, but probably isn't helpful.

Edited by KP33, 08 December 2012 - 06:25 PM.

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:33 PM

I'm more of concern with the temperature monitoring as of this time. Download SpeedFan or CPUID HW Monitor and see if you aren't having high readings. Remove the Trend Micro antivirus see here also http://esupport.trendmicro.com/solution/en-us/1037161.aspx and check the booting to safemode problem and other issues.

Tekken

#9 KP33

KP33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:09 PM

I think I've solved the problem, by rolling back my graphics driver to the previous version, since upon looking around the Windows Update of that driver seemed to occur around the same time as the problem began. So it seems to be working.

I also did clean out the dust inside the computer/fans, which did solve the temperature problem, just before I did that the CPU was reading at 85°C (!!), and now it's back to 50°C, though the fans remain unusually loud. (In the motherboard startup screen, the line 'ASUS BARBEONE /WO FAN' or something like that has been appearing since this started, or at least I think it was since then.

Oh, and by the way, when I mentioned booting to safe mode, it wasn't automatically doing that by itself or anything, I was having to do it.

Thanks for your help, if I'm wrong and the problem's not solved I'll return.

#10 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:42 PM

Good Luck. :)

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users