Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is my mobo dead?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 mchick101

mchick101

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:13 PM

So I'm trying to repair a system I built 5 years ago: Some specs:

Windows XP SP2
ASUS M2NPV-VM mobo
2 GB Ram
AMD 64 Athlon X2

A few months ago, when we would power it on, it would run for a few minutes - up to 10 min at a time - then kick off. We'd restart a few times, but it would eventually stay on and run good. After another month, though, it wouldn't stay on. So I unplugged everything but the psu, mobo, and ram and it still wouldn't turn on.

I figured it might be the psu. I took it in to a shop and they tested it, saying that the +4 pin that connects to the motherboard was giving a weird reading. Okay, I bought a new psu, plugged it in, now it's doing the 1 long beep, 2 short beeps.

The bios is an Award Bios. I look it up and it says it's a video error. But my mobo has onboard video. Just in case, I also reseated the RAM, took out the ram - testing them one by one.

Did my mobo fry and take my old psu with it?
Is there a way I can test that to make sure?

Could it just be the onboard video card? We've had 2 monitors go out since I built it, however those monitors were used.

Need anymore detail or specs?

FYI: The video worked fine before today. Also, I inspected the capacitors on the mb and they are all flat, no bulging, no leaking.

Edited by mchick101, 01 December 2012 - 09:27 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users