Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

no keyboard or mouse for repair install

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 pntball650

pntball650

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:03 PM

A couple days ago I unplugged my usb keyboard on my dell dimension e310. When I went to plug it back in a few days later it would not work and the mouse stopped working. After trying several different things I read online I decided to do a repair install of XP. The mouse and keyboard are both usb. I am able to use both at boot including keyboard at bios and mouse during the repair install until it gets to 34 minutes "Installing Devices". For what ever reason between 34 and 33 minutes the mouse and keyboard quit working and then the regional and language settings pop up. I am stuck on this screen because I cannot select anything. Please help. Even when I turn it off and back on it keeps bringing me back to setup. The computer does not have any ps2 slots either.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:10 PM

There are Dell diagnostics on the hard drive accessed by F12 at power on. First step would be to run a complete diagnostic and see if anything shows up.
Try all / any USB ports (you most likely have) -
To repair XP you will need both the DELL XP reinstallation disc and either a DVD, or CD drive.
If you reside in the US and are the registered owner of the computer, a disc containing the factory-installed operating system specific to your system, available from HERE.
Note: Dell may charge for the disc.
All Drivers and Downloads for your system can be found at http://support.dell.com/support/downloads.

If you are considering an operating system reinstall, please Click Here for an alternative.

#3 pntball650

pntball650
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:25 AM

I gave up on the repair install and got things back to normal being that it will boot up. The keyboard works fine in bios still and at boot but once xp starts neither the keyboard or mouse will work. I have tried both on other computers and they work fine. Ran diagnostics and was returned error code 7 for the hdd. Did some reading on that and some say bad hdd while others say not.

#4 pntball650

pntball650
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

I gave up on the repair install and got things back to normal being that it will boot up. The keyboard works fine in bios still and at boot but once xp starts neither the keyboard or mouse will work. I have tried both on other computers and they work fine. Ran diagnostics and was returned error code 7 for the hdd. Did some reading on that and some say bad hdd while others say not.

#5 pntball650

pntball650
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users