Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Safe Search Gimmicks

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 yabbadoo

yabbadoo

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 AM

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:53 PM

I operate Windows XP with AVG 2013, PrivateFirewall and Sandboxie. My PC is perfectly clean and free from infections of any kind.

Weekly scan checks are carried out manually, using either AVG, MBAM or Emsisoft AM. I rarely get any infections found and of those only minor issues. Never had anything serious. Even when infections have been found, 90% are false positives.

My web surfing is as unrestricted as I can get it - no filters accepted - I go where I want to and nothing has got through my security combo. Sandboxie is as near perfect protection as you can get.

Question ?
Google has a search filter and a Safe Search plugin, AVG has a Safe Search linked to a dreadful nuisance of a toolbar, plus another Secure Search plugin, I believe Firefox plays at it too, WOT is popular and a selection of other players endeavor to protect us from Pandora`s Box of ills and being shocked to the core by the sight of a naked backside or uncouth language etc.

I consider all these "Safe Search" extra`s a complete waste of time and to me, an infringement on my level of intelligence. Being unshockable and with my security minders, I have no need at all for any of them.

My security package keeps me perfectly safe from hackers, bugs and other infections, so what are these vendors trying to do ? Ensure that we maintain a pristine and unblemished soul to take to Heaven when our boat comes in ? The last thing I need is somebody else`s opinion on moral purity and conservation, my Halo fell off donkey`s years ago.

What are your views on these Safe Search gimmicks which clutter up our systems if we are gullible enough to let them ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sightless

Sightless

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:58 PM

Hi, WOT, McAfee SiteAdvisor, AVG SafeSearch, etc can give you a good second opinion on an unknown website. There have been many times when I stumble upon a sketchy looking online store with very good prices which I believe to be scams. A quick google search or look at the WOT bar reveals that these sites are indeed legit. However, there have been cases with companies using tactics to get a green WOT rating by cheating the system basically.

#3 yabbadoo

yabbadoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:13 PM

Hi, WOT, McAfee SiteAdvisor, AVG SafeSearch, etc can give you a good second opinion on an unknown website. There have been many times when I stumble upon a sketchy looking online store with very good prices which I believe to be scams. A quick google search or look at the WOT bar reveals that these sites are indeed legit. However, there have been cases with companies using tactics to get a green WOT rating by cheating the system basically.

Hello "Up in the Clouds" - it is very icy and cold down here.

Good comment. As a general consumer guide based on consumer experience. of course these guides are of use. A wide consensus of opinion that you get from the world web is a fairly good input. I accept these guides from that point of view, but the rating is only based on opinions and as in the case of elections, it can be biased due to the category of voters. People with a complaint are more likely to vote than the satisfied majority who do not have the same driving force to vote. The site then gets a red instead of a green.

My concern is security. OK I observe recommendations such as you stress when surfing to buy a product, but these voters give a red mark against perfectly good sites that do not deserve it. They can only vote on - Trustworthiness, Privacy, Vendor Reliability and Child Safety - all attributes which vary enormously with each individual and consequently of no value to the purely security minded. i find each of these attributes irrelevant for 99% of my web activity.

I guess my OP conclusion that for me and users like me who are interested in bad sites only from an infection aspect, these Safe Search goodies are of no use at all.

I have WOT and it has given me a red site warning many times, I just ignore it and drive on. The only time I drive through a red light in my life. Not to be too slap-happy, but with Sandboxie there is no real risk.

Edited by yabbadoo, 01 December 2012 - 05:14 PM.

#4 Sightless

Sightless

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:56 PM

If you run a decent AV program, it should block you from accessing malicious sites in the first place (I know Avast does, ESET, Norton, and probably most of the other)

#5 yabbadoo

yabbadoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:13 PM

If you run a decent AV program, it should block you from accessing malicious sites in the first place (I know Avast does, ESET, Norton, and probably most of the other)

Perfectly expressed.

These Safe Search gimmicks are personal judgement based non-specific goodies. They serve the same purpose as personal recommendations and are therefore of great value to potential buyers when considering a site to do business with, but no use at all in terms of malicious sites. To the real PC user, they are a menace of misinformation.

I ask you ! What on Earth is Child Safety got to do with risking web infections ? Should a site be given a red tab for that reason ? Of course not.

The word "Safe" covers every aspect of human activity and is therefore infinitely definitive. Even in the context of what has been said here, the fact that these vendors use "Safe" in connection with several attributes is a practical and logical nonsense.

Most of these SS gimmicks cause a lot of trouble to the PC enthusiast, with their toolbars and gossip type ratings and constitute no more than surplus software garbage.

Edited by yabbadoo, 01 December 2012 - 06:36 PM.

#6 Sightless

Sightless

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:31 PM

I have to agree that toolbars are quite annoying. Personally, I use WOT, but I generally know if a website I'm about to access is safe (to an extent of course).

#7 yabbadoo

yabbadoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:31 AM

I have to agree that toolbars are quite annoying. Personally, I use WOT, but I generally know if a website I'm about to access is safe (to an extent of course).

These "Safe Surf" gimmicks are for the Granny fraternity who just use their computer for shopping etc., they are not for the likes of serious PC buffs who are more than familiar with threats and safety in a technical mode.

On the Internet, there is no such thing as SAFE, only SAFEST and that for the serious user is entirely concentrated on infections, not on some Granny`s guide to the shopping galaxy. A good AV, Firewall and for the more paranoid user - Sandboxie are all you need.

I cannot give more emphasis to the fact that the adjective SAFE is an indeterminate term. It can only be relevant to a specific and definitive aspect in an infinite pool and is meaningless as a general expression.

Toolbars ? I avoid them all like the plague, but do have the Google toolbar which I personally depend upon constantly as a useful facility. Would not wish to be without it.

Edited by yabbadoo, 02 December 2012 - 07:34 AM.

#8 Sightless

Sightless

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:23 PM

For future reference, Avast antivirus (the paid version) has a mode where you can run any of your browsers sandboxed. It's a pretty nifty feature; I know that Sandboxie does this for free, but thought I'd point it out.

#9 yabbadoo

yabbadoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:52 PM

For future reference, Avast antivirus (the paid version) has a mode where you can run any of your browsers sandboxed. It's a pretty nifty feature; I know that Sandboxie does this for free, but thought I'd point it out.

Thanks for your company Sighty, it does`nt look like anybody else other than you and I are interested, but nice meeting you. An army of two eh ?

By the way, I always use Sandboxie to access the web, I do have IE8 and Chrome but never use them much. Seems like I must have IE for Windows XP to keep updating (no IE, no Windows updates) and Chrome is far too slow and is a very poor substitute for brilliant Firefox. Cannot open IE with Sandboxie, but I can Sandboxie Chrome.

I wish you a Very Merry Christmas and a Happy and Healthy New Year.

Posted Image

Edited by yabbadoo, 02 December 2012 - 03:01 PM.

#10 Sightless

Sightless

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:03 PM

You find Chrome to be slow? I gave up on Firefox as it became slower and slower, but I haven't used it in years. Chrome is lightening fast on all of my PCs.

Merry Christmas to you as well, yabbadoo!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users