Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphic Problems?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Raffica

Raffica

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:58 PM

When I bought my computer a few months ago everything was perfect. I could play the newest games with nice fps. But then one night I didn't turn my computer off when I went to bed and when I woke up it looked like the resolution was changed and in games, videos, pictures and pretty much everything, the edges were jagged. I had to put on the highest AA in the nvidia panel for it to not look ugly which made my fps go down alot. I changed video drivers,restored the computer bought a new monitor, I even bought a new graphic card but nothing fixed it. Heck.. even my old xbox has better video quality!

Screenshot of minecraft:
http://imgur.com/AuVru

Intel Core i5 Processor
GeForce GTX 550 ti
10 GB RAM
Windows 7 64

I hope someone can give me an answer. Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:24 PM

have you ran a virus scan?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 Raffica

Raffica
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:07 PM

Yes, and I have formatted my hard drive so virus should not be the problem here.

#4 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:28 PM

Perhaps if you left the PC online in a FPS game, someone got to you with electronic warfare? The_patriot11 could be right!

In terms of resolving the issue, I don't think renewing your hardware was very productive. Your system was working fine, drivers were working fine. Something had to happen to upset the boat. If you can't display plain pictures in decent resolution (which any graphics card produced in the last 20 years can) there is something fundamentally wrong. Have you looked through your graphic card settings Control Panel/Display/Advanced/Settings? Things like color management, bits per pixel and various other things can throw off resolution. Jagged edges are usually due to lack of anti-aliasing or low BPP. While that could be an advanced issue with video games, in plain graphics it's routine. For it to be absent you have to make quite an effort to turn it off. If you display a jpeg in Irfanview and zoom it to fullscreen, anti-aliasing is automatically done.

I don't know whether there is anything in the BIOS that could throw off the graphics. That and other parts of the motherboard are the common factors with both graphics cards (plus anything you did!). Could the graphic card slot be damaged? It's difficult to see how any of these things would change on their own. Even if you had onboard graphics and the BIOS had switched to that for some reason, the resolution of images would still be excellent.

Edited by Nanobyte, 01 December 2012 - 02:30 PM.

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:06 PM

unless the virus hit the BIOS (extremely rare) nano, then its highly unlikely a virus is the problem-a reformat would have gotten rid of the virus.

Are the problems only when playing online, or singleplayer as well?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#6 Raffica

Raffica
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:56 PM

The problems are in everything. Images, games and if I watch a video of someone playing a game, it will look bad on my screen even if everything looked good on his.
And if this has anything with colors to do, which settnings should I look at?

#7 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:29 PM

Unfortunately there does not seem to be an online guide for the basic settings. Plenty of info on gaming. I found a tweaking guide if you don't have a manual. It's generic but should be fairly close. You have to get to the Nvidia control panel, which can be accessed a number of ways including Control Panel. The most important setting is the Desktop Color. A lot of settings such as the Video section are personal preferences and many are concerned with 3D gaming.

Display
Change resolution - normally set to 96dpi
Adjust Desktop Color settings - should be 32 BPP

Video - These only affect TV and Video, not the Desktop or Games.
Adjust video color settings
Adjust video image settings

What graphic application are you using when you display images? Can you post a screenshot of a jpeg around 800x600 to 1024x768? Not from a game but a bunch of flowers, street view etc. Open the jpeg in a graphic editor to actual size and take a screenshot. If you include any of your desktop, make sure anything you don't want seen is covered up, closed or minimized! Most images you find will be 24 BPP.

I took another look at the full size gaming shot you posted (24 BPP). There is no anti-aliasing in that shot but that could be the way the game is. Anti-aliasing is covered on Page 6 of that guide so check your settings there. There are a number of guides on the GeForce site.

Edited by Nanobyte, 01 December 2012 - 10:13 PM.

#8 Raffica

Raffica
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:08 AM

Here is a screenshot of a random photo. I hope it's okay that I used paint.

Attached Files

#9 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:24 AM

That photo looks fine, the photo portion contains around 100,000 colours which is what you would expect for a typical 24bit colour pic. Does that look OK to you too? If it does, then you don't have problems with images. Are you confusing regular images with still captures (screenshots) from games?

#10 Raffica

Raffica
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:08 PM

I only got problems with games and images/videos of games then I guess. Any idea why?

#11 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:25 PM

I don't game so I'm not much help with that side of things. Hopefully someone who does will chip in.

The screenshot of Minecraft has about 39,000 colours. It could be that the game is in 16-bit colour or your gaming setup is 16-bit. If you search "minecraft screenshots" in Google/Images, they all look like yours. Quite blocky, low colour resolution, no anti-aliasing. You mentioned in your first post that before the problem you were getting better game play. Was that with Minecraft or other games? Could it be you were playing games that were written at higher resolution?

#12 Raffica

Raffica
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:20 PM

Before the problems I played the same games and they looked a lot better and I could play them on highest settnings without lag.
it seems like nobody knows what the problem might be so I will contact the store and see if they can repair it. It should be free since I have warranty left.
But please keep come with possible solutions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users