Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device an press a key...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 StKandys

StKandys

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:50 AM

Hi There!
I am having a problem starting my PC! I have to start it in the boot menu under the RAID option. If I do not do this a message saying "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key.." comes up, and just keeps popping up regardless of what I press! I would try using my boot disk but for the life of me I can't find it, and as windows 7 was already installed on this computer when we got it 3 year ago, I can't accurately recall if it came with one!
I am no expert on BIOS, but I have read other problems similar to this one, and know that if I don't have the boot disk or the OS disk, I will need to know that at least. So my boot sequence is as follows:
Boot 1: (Hard drive)
Boot 2: CD/DVD: PM-ATAPI DV
Boot 3: USB: Generic-Compa
Boot 4: Lan

I am curious if the (Hard drive) is the issue. The BIOS tells me that anything in parentheses is disabled from corresponding type menu. But I truly have no idea how to change that. Which brings me here.

If anyone can offer any help to this, I would greatly appreciate it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:12 AM

Hi

You will have to give a little more information.
What is the make and model of the computer?
If it isn't a brand name what make and model of the motherboard.

Or you can post a Speccy that will give that information.

• [
  • Go to Piriform's website, and click the big Posted Image button.

Next, click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version.

You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.
  • After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.
  • Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):
    Posted Image

Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot

You will see the following prompt:
    Posted Image

Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard

Posted Image

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the Posted Image button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.

Congrats! You have just posted your specs!

With this information Someone will be able to help you

Thanks
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 StKandys

StKandys
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:33 AM

Thank you very much for a swift response :)

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/bKzvzwdXDEdmb6pIawc3ged

#4 StKandys

StKandys
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:07 AM

I have an update, we have heard of people changing a battery inside the tower and this fixing the problem. We tried that on Wed, and the problem persists.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,257 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:53 PM

Are you saying that you installed a new CMOS battery...and then reset the BIOS values and saved the changes in the BIOS?

Does the BIOS today reflect date/time accurately?

Louis

#6 xcopy

xcopy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:47 AM

If this is a RAID system, check that the RAID device is in the boot order specified in the BIOS, and not been put in the excluded list. Some of these motherboard RAID systems have a habit of removing it after a failed boot.

#7 StKandys

StKandys
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:33 AM

Yes, the CMOS battery was changed. I did not change anything in BIOS after doing that, though.
Currently my boot order is:
1st (Hard drive)
2nd CD/DVD: PM-Atapi DV
3rd USB Generic-Compa
4th Lan

If I chose default boot order Hard Drive is replaced with RAID-1, but then (Hard drive) becomes unavailable, because of this, I have been reluctant to change and save BIOS without further instruction to do so.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,257 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:30 PM

OK...set the boot order as you like...then hit F10 to save changes. Please ensure that date/time are correct before you save all changes by hitting F10.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users