Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to Configure Netgear Wireless Adapter

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 EducatedGuess

EducatedGuess

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:18 AM

Hi. I recently purchased an inexpensive Dell XP desktop and am trying to access my home wireless network using a Netgear Wireless Adapter Model WNDA3100v2. I have used this unit successfully with other units in the home, both Vista and XP, and it worked fine.

I spent an hour on the phone with Netgear and they couldn't solve it.

I think the problem might be in trying to find the WEP key for my router, which is a Cisco Linksys WRT310N. This unit works fine and is connecting great to three other laptops in our home.

I know about going to 192.168.1.1 to get the WEPkey, but the problem is when I do that it takes me to the Verizon homepage (who is my home internet service provider), not the page for the router.

Is there an easy and simple way to bypass this Verizon page and get to the Linksys router page? Also, there are so many numbers here. Which one do I put into the Network Connections tab? I tried a 26 digit code I had from before, and also the one that goes on forever, and neither one seemed to work.

Thanks so much,
Educated Guess

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:06 AM

This unit works fine and is connecting great to three other laptops in our home.

If the router can communicate with the 3 laptops, check the security encryption from the netgear wireless adapter's control panel which must be set to WPA/WPA2. I would assume that the previous laptops wifi adapter and the router are set to the WPA/WPA2 which is the most common nowadays. WEP is more likely outdated and was in XP but your USB adapter must be capable to WPA/WPA2.

Tekken

#3 EducatedGuess

EducatedGuess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:54 AM

jhayz:

Thanks for responding. I'm a bit of a computer idiot, so could you please tell me how or where I would access the router control panel? This makes sense, but I have no idea how to do this.

As I explained in the original post, I am being blocked somehow by Verizon from viewing the router information.

Thanks,
EducatedGuess

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:43 AM

I think the problem might be in trying to find the WEP key for my router, which is a Cisco Linksys WRT310N. This unit works fine and is connecting great to three other laptops in our home.

To confirm that you need WEP, check one of the laptop that connects from the router. Go to Network and Sharing - Manage Wireless Networks - Right-click the Home Network SSID - Properties - Security tab. Check the Security/Encryption type. The Netgear wireless adapter supports WPA/WPA2 which can be configured after installing the software driver.

Tekken

#5 EducatedGuess

EducatedGuess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:43 PM

I appreciate your help, but I'm starting to think I may want to just reformat this computer and start from square one. I bought it off CraigsList and it might have corrupted drivers, etc.

Which leads to another question: Is there a reliable source online to buy old install disks? This is a Dell minitower 8200. And also, where might one find an XP SP3 upgrade disk these days? It appears Microsoft no longer offers the download on their site.

Thanks for all your input.

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:05 PM

The only site I know of is Dell or buy a retail XP SP3 disc and the drivers are found here. What Windows XP edition and service pack is installed? If it's SP2, it would still be fine, IMO. Since the computer would just be used for basic functions such as browsing/emails and connecting to home network wirelessly.

Tekken

#7 EducatedGuess

EducatedGuess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:59 PM

It only has the original SP1 on it apparently, since I am getting error messages from Yahoo Mail and elsewhere that the OS is outdated. I guess I will look on EBAY and elsewhere.

Thanks,
EG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users