Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive owner settings

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 DoLLeR

DoLLeR

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:03 AM

I pulled a hard drive from my windows 7 machine and hooked hooked it up to my windows xp machine to copy some files. In order to access them files I had to change the owner to my windows xp admin. When I hooked the hard drive back up to the win 7 machine it would not boot. I see the win 7 logo and then a black screen with mouse pointer.

Is there a way to re apply the previous owner using the windows xp machine?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:45 AM

How did you take ownership of the drive on the windows system?. File permission will not stop a computer from booting (at least not on a pc running xp). To answer your question using what ever computer is listed as the owner under disk properties, security, Advanced, owner. Grant permission to the USERS group for read/write permission in the security tab. In windows XP pro any User in the Administrators group can take ownership of any non system folder unless it is explicitly denied in the folder permissions under the security tab. If you have xp home edition reboot into safe mode and log in as the administrator.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users