Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB - Permissions

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 bundy462

bundy462

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:28 PM

I can only read from any thumb drives plugged into my USB port. Everything was working fine before an install of EVault Endpoint Protection software for remote backups. Something that it did with the user profiles killed my USB usage. If I try to copy, create, or delete anything on the thumb drive, I get a message that "you need permission to perform this action". I am logged on as an account that is part of the administrators group. I logged on as the actual administrator user itself. I've taken ownership of the objects on the thumb drive. I've verified that USB writing is not shut off in the registry. I can't format the USB drive with a right click from My Computer, but I can format it if I go in to the disk management via the Administrative Tools. Even after formatting, no luck. I'm stuck big time, hoping someone has an idea.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Julia G

Julia G

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:17 AM

Have you tried uninstalling the software that caused the problem? Removing it with REVO and cleaning up with CCLEANER afterwards then reboot.Then see if things are back to normal.İf not check in Device Manager the Universal Serial Bus Controllers.İf any yellow flags or marks are present,uninstall and reboot.

For future reference:Before downloading and installing anything,create a restore point or better yet back up the registry and system with ERUNT as i do.That has proved invaluable and saved me big headaches,a number of times.With a simple couple of clicks you're back in business.

Let us know how you go.

#3 bundy462

bundy462
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:47 PM

First thank you for the reply, very much appreciated.

I did uninstall and can't get the USB back up and running. I did not create a backup of the registry, and have learned the hard way that I need to start doing that. I did create a restore point using windows restore, but now when I attempt to restore to that restore point, or any before that for that matter, it hangs in the initializing state for over 24 hours on two attempts with two different restore points. I tried that before posting my original thread, but forgot to include it in the detail.

No yellow question marks in the device manager. I've uninstalled and re-installed the USB drivers numerous times. I have to problem installing the drive, just can't access it in any way. This is a real head scratchier, I've been wandering through all sorts of configuration settings for days with no luck.

#4 Julia G

Julia G

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:40 AM

You're welcome.Firstly did you uninstall as i suggested with REVO (FREE) and then cleaned up with CCLEANER (FREE Version)? http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download
http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html (FREE Version).What you can first try is reinstall the software that caused the problem and then uninstall using REVO and CCLEANER.

Use the Registry tab on the left of CCLEANER after the Cleaner tab as well,to scan for issues,>Fix selected issues>click Yes to back up changes to the Registry click Save then delete.
Then go to Start>Run type prefetch and delete everything on that page.

Empty recycle bin and reboot.İf that solves the issue good if not then please come back and we'll check the system for malware as system restore not working may well be due to that.

You don't mention any error messages with system restore,did you get any? Also is everything else working correctly?

Edited by Julia G, 02 December 2012 - 05:41 AM.

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:15 AM

Use the Registry tab on the left of CCLEANER after the Cleaner tab as well,to scan for issues,>Fix selected issues>click Yes to back up changes to the Registry click Save then delete.

Negative on the Registry Cleaner side of the program, only use the Cleaner function of this program -
CCleaner is a good program for removal of temp files, but it has no idea of good or bad installed registry items.
Apart from that, you can follow most of the post -
For Revo .........
1) First we download it from here: Revo Uninstaller Free Version. You can skip this Step if you already have it installed. However, you may need to update it. If you have it installed already, and you need to update it, go ahead and open it up and click the AutoUpdate Icon next to Help. The use of this program makes registry changes based upon what you select for removal from the Registry.
Before running Revo Uninstaller please run ERUNT before proceeding to back up your registry in case you make a mistake.
2) Select the Program to remove from the list of programs and click the Uninstall button:

Posted Image

3) After selecting the program you want to remove, and confirming you want to uninstall the program, then you will want to select the Advanced Option:

Posted Image

4) Click Next. This will start the uninstaller for the application you picked. When the uninstaller is done, and it proves to be successful, and a reboot is required, then select NO and continue the below steps.

5) Follow the prompts during the uninstallation of the application. Once it closes you will be at this window:

Posted Image

6) Click Next again. Once the window is done scanning for files and other things that did not get removed, you will be presented with this window:

Posted Image

You will want to select only the bolded items, then click on Delete. If any entries-usually the last thing listed and not in bold-have a + sign click on the + until you see more bolded items.
Once done, click Next.

If it asks you to delete other files, then do so, but pay attention to all the warnings.

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

• Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.

• Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.

• Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. Even with backup of the registry, at times you may still damage the registry.

• Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.

• The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.
•Ed Bott's Webog: Why I don't use registry cleaners

•Do I need a Registry Cleaner?

Edited by noknojon, 02 December 2012 - 06:25 AM.

#6 Julia G

Julia G

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:02 AM

Negative on the Registry Cleaner side of the program, only use the Cleaner function of this program -
CCleaner is a good program for removal of temp files, but it has no idea of good or bad installed registry items.
Apart from that, you can follow most of the post -

İ respectfully disagree!!! Yes i'm aware that some warn against using the Registry tab in CCLEANER,i however and many users i know,have used it with NO problems whatsoever,over many years and therefore i do suggested it to others.You may note that before the action is taken,the changes to the Registry are also backed up,as is clear from my post.

İf however Bleeping Computer prohibits that it be suggested,that's a different matter.Please advise if that is so.

Thank you.

Edited by Julia G, 02 December 2012 - 07:09 AM.

#7 bundy462

bundy462
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:50 PM

I've done the uninstall only using the utility that you've recommended. No improvement.

There is no malware on the system far as I can tell. I run MalwareBytes and HitmanPro, and neither return anything on a scan. I also run TrendMicro virus software, nothing there either. Everything else is perfectly fine on the machine, no problems or noticeable degrade anywhere else.

The IT team at my workplace has recommended that I wipe the machine entirely and re-install the OS. Seems pretty extreme. Thoughts?

#8 Julia G

Julia G

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:51 AM

Extreme indeed at least at this point,a reinstallation of the OS is not needed.İ do believe though that the presence of malware is a definite possibility, so lets do a couple of scans.Please boot into Safe Mode(f8)>Advanced Boot Options and choose Safe Mode with Networking.Then please go here http://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner/ ( preferably with İnternet Explorer as the scanner is optimized for İE.)

On the left of the page,click on the blue button labeled

Run Eset Online Scanner

run a scan,checkmark all appropriate boxes,including 'check archives,

click on advanced settings and checkmark ''scan for pottentialy unsafe apps'

disable your antivirus just before you run Start

and re-enable it after the scan is finished.The scanner will give you the option to delete anything it finds at the end.Please do so.

İf malware is found please click on LIST of found threats

Export the list to desktop,copy the contents of the text file in your reply.

But before you do that while still in Safe Mode,use CCLEANER again to clean the hdd.Then go to Start>Run type prefetch and click ok.Delete everything on the page.

Then empty Recycle bin and reboot into Windows.

Redo a scan with Malwarebytes after updating it,let it delete anything it finds.A scan with http://www.superantispyware.com/download.html (FREE version)is also desirable.Please download it install it and update it before you run it.

Then please go to Start>Run type mrt.exe click ok.İf you've never used M/softs scanner before,it may take a little time before it appears.Run a short scan.
İt will delete anything it finds at the end.

Please check to see if the issue persists.Let me know the results.

Edited by Julia G, 03 December 2012 - 06:59 AM.

#9 bundy462

bundy462
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:46 PM

Julia, lots to report, but nothing good.

First, I did not mention before, but I did scrub the registry using the tool that you suggested, before I saw the other reply that it may not be a good idea. I have a backup of the original registry also. Since they, I've done the following (all following your detailed instructions):

1. Ran the ESET scan, no malware.
2. While still in safe mode, ran CCLEANER again, did not clean up anything on this run.
3. Malwarebytes scan - clean.
4. HitmanPro scan (runs on boot up of my machine) - clean.
5. Ran mrt.exe - clean.
6. Restarted my TrendMicro and ran a virus scan - clean.

I think I have a clean bill of health as far as virus and malware go. I really just think it's a permissions thing and am now wondering if it was really tied to my original install that I thought it was. But, it happened right around that time and I didn't do anything else significant other than the install of EVault. I just can't figure it out. I've confirmed that it's not tied to the one USB stick, I've got multiple that fail, but work fine on every other machine that I have (with the same domain and user logged in no less). I also know that I can read and copy from the drive, just can't delete or add, again tested with multiple USB sticks. I have a USB headset and game controller that I've also been testing out and they're fine in the same port.

Thanks again for your suggestions, if you or anyone else has any others, I'd be happy to try them.

Edited by bundy462, 03 December 2012 - 09:46 PM.

#10 Julia G

Julia G

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:10 AM

1...Sorry for the late reply,i've been very busy.Yes it does appear to be a permissions problem,lets see if doing a check for file system errors comes out clean.Please follow instructions here http://www.w7forums.com/use-chkdsk-check-disk-t448.html ONLY place a checkmark in the box next to 'Automatically fix file system errors.

2..Check for any available driver updates for the usb ports,updating the drivers may be helpful.

3..What i always leave for last to suggest is a BİOS update.Please check to see if one is available at the manufacturers site.Please Note:İf there is an update make sure to read and follow instructions on how to do it,as doing it wrong may well turn the pc into a brick.
Before you proceed also please back up your data,just to be safe.

4..Of course you can always restore the system to Factory settings,after backing up your data first.That may be what will have to be done if the above suggestions don't bring about the desired outcome.

Let me know how you go and i'll have a look around for anything else that may help.

Good luck.

Edited by Julia G, 04 December 2012 - 11:13 AM.

#11 bundy462

bundy462
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:25 PM

I ran a check disk, no issues.

Checked for a driver update and there was none. I still went ahead and removed the driver, then re-installed it.

There was a BIOS update from Dell, and I installed it.

No improvement.

Restoring to factory settings, from what I can tell, this will remove all of my data and applications that were installed post factory, right? If that's the case, I need to make it my last resort and also move it out a few weeks. I use this machine for work and am responsible for demos for a Sales team. I can't afford the time to recover all of the applications that I'd need. With it being end of year especially.

If that is the last resort, I'll put it on my calendar for sometime January.

Is there anything else that you can do in the permissions world? Or even just revert to factory settings without losing everything, truly just the settings, not the entire machine image?

Thanks again, much appreciated.

#12 Julia G

Julia G

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:55 PM

Yes,restoring to factory settings will wipe everything on the system and restore it to how it was on the day you bought the pc.You can back up your data (documents photos music etc.) and restore them back afterwards.

However since you unfortunately don't keep any system images,(which you really should start doing,as it saves you an enormous amount of time,when things go awry)you'll need to reinstall all of your programs etc,PLUS ALL of Windows Updates.

İ've looked around for anything that may help you,however since i'm not familiar with those processes,i thought it best not to suggest them to you.

İf anyone else here can suggest something different,they will do so,and since you're not in a hurry wait and see.

Please make sure when you restore to factory settings,to download and install ERUNT (please read ALL relevant info at the site)and also install a FREE program and create frequent system images of the entire drive.That way you'll be covered.

Good luck and you're welcome.

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx http://www.paragon-software.com/home/br-free/ These 2 have a good reputation,see what you think.

Edited by Julia G, 04 December 2012 - 01:55 PM.

#13 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:18 PM

How is your skill level? There things that can be done but they are complicated and require some work.

I want to check something before I suggest them.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#14 bundy462

bundy462
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:13 AM

Fairly high. Where I am very much lacking is in my Windows administration skills and figuring out things like this. I shouldn't have a problem following any instructions thrown my way.

#15 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:50 PM

Lets try system restore from a system repair disk. If you have a Windows 7 install disk the process is similar, let me know if you need a tutorial for that.

Read the entire article first.
Create a system repair disc

To create a system repair disc

Open Backup and Restore by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking Backup and Restore.

In the left pane, click Create a system repair disc, and then follow the steps. Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Do not forget to backup first! Use ERUNT, This tutorial by Our staff member AustrAlien

Backup the Windows system registry with ERUNT

• If you are using ERUNT on a Vista or Windows 7 system:
  • And ... if UAC (User Account Control) is enabled on the Windows system (as it is by default):
  • When installing ERUNT, ensure that the AutoBackup option is UN-checked!
  • Run ERUNT (or ERDNT.exe) using right-click > Run as Administrator
    Note: Backups will not be automatically created daily. Instead you will need to create them manually by running ERUNT.
[/list]Download ERUNT (The Emergency Recovery Utility NT) to the computer.
  • There are two versions to choose from:
    • Installer file Download Now
    • Run (double-click) the installer file to install ERUNT on the system.
    • Run ERUNT using the shortcut that will have been created on the Desktop.
    • Follow the prompts, leaving all settings in their default configuration.
  • Zipped file Download .ZIP
    • Unzip/Extract the .zip file to a folder in the location of your choice.
      Read the README.TXT file for full instructions and more information.
    • Run (double-click) the contained ERUNT.EXE file to backup the registry.
    • Follow the prompts, leaving all settings in their default configuration.
------------------------------
Note: To restore the Windows registry using ERUNT backups:
  • Navigate to the EFDNT folder created to house the registry backups:
    C:\Windows\ERDNT <<< folder
  • Inside the ERDNT folder you may find other folders labelled by date (manual backups if any).
  • The AutoBackup folder contains dated folders with registry backups created automatically by ERUNT each day the computer is started.
  • The location might look something like this:
  • C:\WINDOWS\ERDNT\AutoBackup\25-07-2012 <<< folder
[*]Locate the backup (by date) that you wish to use and then run (double-click) ERDNT.exe within that same backup folder, and follow the prompts.
[/list]

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 05 December 2012 - 01:54 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users