Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

update bios

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 guit30

guit30

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:11 PM

I get messages from my Samsung SW, that it needs a bios update, the computer has been not that stable recently, runs good, have virus protection.
Th Samsung update always fails, chatted with them several times and they kept telling me to do what I was doing, finally one of their techs said don't worry about it.
Should I let it go or use a program like driverboost, which is supposed to be a safe bios update?

Eset Nod32 vs 8

Super Anti Spyware

Secunia 2.0

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 guit30

guit30
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:29 PM

PLEASE!!, Look, I need this little box, but I joined this site because it was supposed to help dopes like myself who don't know squat about computers. It looks like what the computer needs, but , it could be a junk trap? I am on disability with no health insurance, so this is something I need, but I have done stuff before that has just made problems.

Thank you for all who have helped me before,
Jim

Eset Nod32 vs 8

Super Anti Spyware

Secunia 2.0

#3 ranchhand1

ranchhand1

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:36 PM

Do not, under any circumstances, allow any third party utility to mess with your BIOS. If anything happens, you are screwed and on your own, they will not help you or probably even provide a way to contact them. These junk software companies have the worst rep in IT. Same with these sleaze online outfits that will "clean" your registry for you.

the computer has been not that stable recently

That does not mean that you need a BIOS upgrade; there are dozens of reasons why your unit may be unstable, and rarely are any of them related to the BIOS. It could be driver conflict, hardware starting to fail, or a corrupted operating system file. My suggestion is to start a new thread under the operating system header here that you are running, and title it, "system crashes, need help finding problem" or some such. Give a brief rundown of your system specs, when this first started and what were you doing at that time, and exactly what instability you are experiencing in detail. Then you will get some responses to your post.

I get messages from my Samsung SW

Please, more information; what is "SW" from Samsung? Where are these messages coming from? Could you do a screenshot of one and post it?

Edited by ranchhand1, 01 December 2012 - 06:51 AM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:43 PM

As a rule of thumb, the only time you need to update the BIOS is if you have added hardware which needs a newer version of the BIOS to work.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:07 PM

Hi, You said

the computer has been not that stable recently

That implies that it used to be stable. The BIOS does not suddenly go bad and make the computer unstable.

To me that implies that there is most likely a software problem of some kind.

Never ever use any of those driver update programs. The only Bios update that can be safely used had to come from the maker and it has to match the make and model of the computer.

What Kind of not stable is happening?

Your problem is not that the BIOS update isn't working. My best guess is that the failing update is a symptom of the real problem.

I would start a new message in Windows 7 titled Along the lines of Samsung Laptop unstable. In the message list what ways the Laptop is unstable and indicate that the Samsung software update isn't working either.

This way you will get help. Let me know when that has happened so I can lock this message thread to prevent confusion.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#6 ranchhand1

ranchhand1

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:27 PM

Yoooooo Guit - you out there, buddy??

#7 guit30

guit30
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:01 PM

Ranchhand,
Samsung SW, is their software update system,it will give you a popup that says sw needs update, and I check the SW program, and there is a bios update, and when I try to update it, it fails, most of the updates work. When I say unstable, I mean stuff like settings on computer change, I have never had a crash ,or a bluescreen. Thanks for getting back to me.
Jim

Eset Nod32 vs 8

Super Anti Spyware

Secunia 2.0

#8 ranchhand1

ranchhand1

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:28 PM

I mean stuff like settings on computer change

Ok, I was wondering if it was something like that; replace your CMOS battery on the motherboard if your clock, date and other settings seem to change.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,371 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:54 PM

From what you have posted I don't think that there is any indication that this is related to a failed CMOS battery.

Rotor123 has made a sound suggestion for what is going on, I would suggest that you follow his directions.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 ranchhand1

ranchhand1

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:03 PM

dc3:

I don't think that there is any indication that this is related to a failed CMOS battery

What do you think causes the time, date, and other CMOS related settings to randomly change to factory defaults and not hold custom settings anymore??? I am not suggesting that this is the only thing wrong, but it's a start. Read carefully what Rotor posted; it is essentially the same thing I suggested earlier. I don't mind that you disagree with me, but post your reasons. That's called communication.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,371 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:48 AM

What do you think causes the time, date, and other CMOS related settings to randomly change to factory defaults and not hold custom settings anymore???

Guit30 posted

I mean stuff like settings on computer change

I see no mention of time, date, or CMOS settings being changed. The only thing that has been stated is "settings on computer change" which is inconclusive. In this situation I believe that the proper approach would be to ask what settings are they were referring to.Posted Image

#12 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:13 PM

Just as an example, Time and date and BIOS settings are only one type of setting that could be changing

There is also Home Page, search provider, Access to certain parts of the control panel or registry to name a few.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#13 ranchhand1

ranchhand1

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:35 PM

Ok, I guess we will have to wait for Guit to clarify.

#14 guit30

guit30
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:53 AM

OK, The bios update was if I was going to upgrade to Windows 8, not doing that
so you can delete thread, thanks alot guys ,the thing that was changing was the wifi was
turning itself off and on.
Thanks
Jim

Eset Nod32 vs 8

Super Anti Spyware

Secunia 2.0

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,371 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:12 AM

Glad to hear that you resolved your problem.Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users