Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Debian networking problems

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 attak sekwence

attak sekwence

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:50 PM

ok so I just decided to install debian squeeze as my linux distro on my laptop. during the install i entered localhost and localdomain into the appropriate fields. I opened up WICD and it doesn't recognize my ralink 5390. I conected an ethernet cable and was able to connect according to WICD. I opened up epiphany and went to google with sucess. I also did a random search and got results in a normal amount of time. but when I clicked on a link from that search I get an error for
cannot resolve hostname or cannot connect to destination.
I can connect to my router though.

I'm assuming this is a driver error but I don't really know how to go about solving it

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:55 PM

The link may be dead. How many links did you try?

If it's happening on most/many sites, it's possibly a DNS issue. See what's in /etc/resolv.conf. If it's empty or has no lines that start with "nameserver" you can fill it in manually (as root) and see if that resolves the problem. The following should work on most machines, at least most in the US:

nameserver 208.67.222.222
nameserver 208.67.222.220

Those are OpenDNS entries, and they always work as long as you're really connected. Even if you have lines in /etc/resolv.conf, you could replace them with those and it will still work.

#3 fanderal

fanderal

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:09 PM

Starting with Squeeze, Debian no longer includes proprietary firmware in the default install. It mostly affects wireless and ATI/AMD GPUs. Use a wired connection and install the 'firmware-linux' pkg, which includes many common free and non-free firmware blobs. If that doesn't do it, search the repos for your specific wireless chip. Once installed, reboot, and WICD should see your network.

#4 attak sekwence

attak sekwence
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:50 PM

I'm practically a noob at linux i'm switching from ubuntu to debian because im not learning enough from ubuntu. so that being said

I tried multiple links and all could not resolve hostname

there written in the resolv.conf file was #Generatedby NetworkManager
nothing else and I cannot save changes because i do not have the permission

prior to today wired internet wasn't working but something magic happened and i was able to install the firmware-linux-free package
unable to locate a firmware-linux-nonfree package
i was also able to update which previously didn't work

so now my wired connection is working properly however wireless is still not working how do i search the repo's? my AMD driver is also no working properly

#5 fanderal

fanderal

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:20 PM

There are a lot of different makes and models of wireless chips and not all of them are packaged for an easy install. Once in a while you hafta compile a driver from source and the Ralink 5390 may or may not be one of them.

To search for a Debian package:
http://packages.debian.org/name-of-package

When you're connected, open a terminal and type:
sudo apt-get update
to update the package list (doesn't hurt to do it again), then do
sudo apt-get install firmware-linux
to install the meta-package which installs/updates both free and non-free firmware
Then do
sudo apt-get install firmware-ralink
to install the Ralink firmware pkg which may work for the 5390.

If you prefer, you can do the above update and installs with Synaptic, a GUI package manager.

Reboot and post whether the wireless works. Also, whether the GPU works better... if not, post the model number.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users