Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Screen Of Death Problems

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 funkysi

funkysi

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 24 March 2006 - 09:13 AM

Hi, hope someone can help

I am periodically getting blue screen crashes with error messages relating to driver_irql_not_less_or_equal or page_fault_in_non_paged_area. They seem to be telling me that the ntfs.sys driver has some kind of problem. Next time it happens i'll try and get the alphanumeric codes that follow in the error log at the bottom of the screen. I have been on to Dell Tech Support and it appears to be a software rather than a hardware problem (hence posting in XP section) but not matter what I delete it still happens. Have got rid of Norton (hurrah) and have disconnected all hardware, attempted to disable BIOS (without much luck) and turned off anti virus.

Any help would be much appreciated. I am pretty IT savvy but this is starting to irritate me!!

Thanks

funkysi

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 24 March 2006 - 09:18 AM

If you have a system restore date set from before this problem began use it now!

Unless you changed the options on system restore, it keeps restore points from the last three weeks.

Access it by clicking start/programs/accessories/system tools/system restore.

#3 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 24 March 2006 - 09:22 AM

The 'Blue Screen of Death' is refered to by Microsoft as a Stop Message. They can occur for many reasons. In order to diagnose it's cause we really need as much info as you can give about the stop message. Please write it down and post it back here the next time it happens. In particular, it helps to have the somewhat cryptic series of numbers about half way down the blue screen that has this sort of format:

0x0000008E (This set of numbers will be followed by four other sets in parenthasis.)

It is also helpful to know the answers to other questions, such as:
  • What are you doing when this happens (are you on line, starting the computer, etc).
  • Does it always happen at the same time?
  • Is it always the same message, or is it a different set of numbers each time?
  • Have you added any hardware or software lately?
  • Are you experiencing any other buggy behavior from this computer (such as it runs slower than it used to, etc)?

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 24 March 2006 - 09:27 AM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#4 funkysi

funkysi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2006 - 01:21 PM

Hi,

Just had a new error (as opposed to previous blue screen errors) here it is in full:

Stop: (000021a) {Fatal System Error}

The Windows Subsystem process terminated unexpectedly with a status of (0x0000005) (0x75b622b6 0x012afba8)

The System has been shut down

I was just surfing the net (mozilla) and running itunes and messenger all latest versions of software. I am using Avast anti virus (just installed,) and the windows firewall both with standard settings. After last error I did a system restore to Jan 1st 06. The computer ran fine for almost 24 hours.

I have connected a logic 3 docking station for my ipod, a Canoscan FB320P scanner and a Canon BJC-2000 printer. I got the drivers for them from the Canon website. I use a Belkin Wireless G Network Adaptor 54 mbps. I also have the parallel cable for a Garmin GPS watch connected,

I am running a standard Dell 3000 Dimension XP service pack 2 and use keyboard and mouse that came with it. I bought it Jan 05.

I have recently deleted a lot of old programs that I am not using anymore, used standard disk cleanup. Before that the computer was running a little slowly

Hope this helps with any diagnosis.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2006 - 01:39 PM

Uninstall everything you installed AFTER the problems began. (you can reinstall them one by one after the problem is resolved)

Do some anti-malware checks starting with a virus-scan after updating your AV ap and running it in safe mode.

After that, download, install, update and run the following freeware antimalware aps using SAFE MODE if you do not already have them. Have them fix whatever they find:

Ad-Aware SE Personal - freeware
http://www.lavasoft.com/
Click on Adaware SE Personal in “Products” on the left side of the page
Or it may be easier to find it here:
http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Adawa...nal/965718306/1

Spybot S&D: http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html
Be sure to enable “Teatimer” which gives you realtime protection against malware invasion. (absolutely necessary)

Following that that I suggest you post a “HijackThis” log for expert assistance with your problem.

Read the pinned post in our “HijackThis” forum, here
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/
Carefully read and follow all directions explicitly.

Following instructions run a log, and post it in following HJT forum,
at this link. Include a brief description of your computer (ie, processor, amount of RAM, brand or motherboard, etc, and the problem you are experiencing.)
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/posthjtlog.html

Unless you are expert at editing the registry, Do not as yet attempt to fix anything by yourself using Hijack This as even what may seem to be a small mistake can render your op system inoperable.
Some files when in one folder may be fine while in another may be malware.

A member of our HJT Team will analyze your log, make recommendations and offer assistance.

It may take a period of time to get a response to the log you posted because the members of our HJT Team are kept very busy.
Please be patient as this team is manned by volunteers. They will help you in order received as soon as possible.

NOTE
Once you have posted your HJT log, please DO NOT make any additional posts in the HJT forum thread you created until you get a response from a member of our HJT expert team, and do not make any changes to your system (changes, including any attempted repairs, will make it different than displayed in the log you posted and therefore make your log inaccurate).

The first criteria they have when looking for logs that need replies are posts showing 0 replies. If you make an additional post, it will show as having 1 reply.
A team member, looking for a new log to work on might well assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and might not open the thread to respond.

So, make your post and wait for a response from a team member.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2006 - 01:44 PM

Great!
Thanks for coming back and telling us.

#7 funkysi

funkysi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2006 - 04:36 PM

I have just had another blue screen with the following

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Technical Information:

*** Stop: 0x0000000A (0x04000018, 0x00000002, ox00000001, 0x804E6341)

Thanks for info so far

#8 funkysi

funkysi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2006 - 04:46 PM

And another...

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Tech Info:

Stop: 0x000000D1 (0xF83C4d17, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0xF83C4D17)

*** Ntfs. sys - address F83C4D17 base at F836F000, Datestamp 41107eea

Hope that helps!

#9 funkysi

funkysi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2006 - 05:03 PM

And another...

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

TECH INFO:

*** STOP: 0X00000050 (0XE1071000, 0X00000000, 0X804D9DA8, 0X00000001)

#10 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 25 March 2006 - 05:48 PM

Strange.

Try unplugging all of the USB devices from your computer and see if these errors go away.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#11 funkysi

funkysi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2006 - 06:37 PM

And another 2...

*** Stop: 0x00000024 (0x001902FE, 0xF89B79D8, 0xF89B76D4, 0x804FB238)

memory_management

*** Stop: 0x0000001A (0x00000780, oxC033784C, 0x810D6D58, 0x8F4C3CCC)

#12 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2006 - 07:16 PM

I assume you didn't have a Windows System Restore date from before the problem started, because if you did, it might have resolved the problem.

I don't know what you uninstalled initially or how you uninstalled them.
"but not matter what I delete it still happens."

Your operating system is corrupted at this point. You have issues with drivers
If you can access the device manager look for devices that have red or yellow warnings and update those drivers.

From Microsoft:
The Stop 0xD1 message indicates that the system attempted to access pageable memory using a kernel process IRQL that was too high. Drivers that have used improper addresses typically cause this error.

Interpreting the Message
This Stop message has four parameters:

Memory referenced.
IRQL at time of reference.
Type of access (0x00000000 = read operation, 0x00000001 = write operation).
Address that referenced memory.
Resolving the Problem
For additional troubleshooting suggestions that apply to all Stop errors, see "Stop Message Checklist" later in this appendix.

Stop 0xD1 messages can occur after installing faulty drivers or system services. If a driver is listed by name, disable, remove, or roll back that driver to confirm that this resolves the error. If so, contact the manufacturer about a possible update. Using updated software is especially important for backup programs, multimedia applications, antivirus scanners, DVD playback, and CD mastering tools.
For more information about Stop 0xD1 messages, see the Microsoft Knowledge Base link on the Web Resources page at http://www.microsoft.com/windows/reskits/webresources. Search using keywords winnt, 0x000000D1, and 0xD1.

If that doesn't work, if you have the Dell Restore disk use it to reformat your hard drive and reinstall Windows XP.
If you want to be sure all viruses if any are removed as well, run Killdisk or use Digital Dolly to overwrite the drive first.

Edited by Enthusiast, 25 March 2006 - 07:47 PM.

#13 funkysi

funkysi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2006 - 07:33 PM

is that all i can do? I have done all the things that the forum has said to do re viruses malware etc. there were a lot actually! can i just make a back up of everything that i want from the drive for example copy to ipod and then re format? its just gonna be a pain to reset my wireless connection thats all

#14 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2006 - 11:06 PM

Sure - backing up your data should be done regularly, and now if you haven't done it before.

Do one more thing:

Open your device manager and see if there is a yellow or red warning in anything. If there is try to update or rollback the drivers.

Your stop messages primarily involve drivers. Not all of them are in devices.

#15 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2006 - 11:15 PM

The wireless connection should be easy to set up.

SP2 gives XP a wizard that makes it easy.

Try updating the drivers (or rolling back if there aren't updates available). Some might be corrupted. Anything that has a yellow or red warning should be deleted and reinstalled.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users