Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disc Drive Cannot Read Audio CD's, But Can Read Data CD's.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:00 PM

The title pretty much says it all. I recently bought an album, Alicia Keys' "Girl on Fire", and tried to rip it to my computer so I can enjoy it in WMA Lossless. However, things didn't go as planned. Upon inserting the CD into the drive, the activity light on the optical drive went out, as though it could not read the disc. I then tried to double click on the drive in Computer, but waited, and waited, with nothing happening. It seemed as if Windows saw it in the drive, but was waiting on something before I could access the disc. I then tried Windows Media Player, Zune, and Foobar 2000 and they all did the same thing, which is stall. Oddly enough, when I rebooted my PC after this, it froze, I had to hold in the power button to actually get it to shut down. I'm currently using Windows 8 and I have done the following...

Try another disc, one I know that can be ripped. It experienced the same issue.
Try a data disc, it functioned normally.
Try another optical drive, it experienced the same issue.

I eventually gave up and ripped the CD on my PlayStation 3 and copied the files over to my PC in MP3 format, which sort of defeated the purpose of buying a physical album. I would like to rip the album in lossless, but can't figure this problem out.

3939.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cat33

cat33

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:46 PM

What type of disk drive does your computer have? I'm guessing your Alicia Keys CD probably was made to work in a ROM drive. I assumed all computers used the same type of CD/DVD drives until my drive on my XP wouldn't recognize a music CD. I was baffled as to why it worked in my CD player/radio combo but not in the xp computer. I found out that not all drives are made to be able to recognize ROM CDs and DVDs. There may be info on the front of your computer that says what type of CD/DVDs your computer can recognize or you may find this info in the user manual that came with your computer.

When I was researching my issue I found this link. I don't know if this can be used to find out in a windows 8 because I have never used windows 8 but maybe somebody knows.:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100105000818AAJ1GQ7

Not all computers have DVD ROM drives. To check if your "disc drive thing" is a dvd rom try following these steps:
1.Right click on the My Computer icon.
2.Click the Hardware tab.
3.Click Device Manager.
4.Look for DVD/CD -ROM drives on the list then click it
5.Right click on the name of the brand of the dvd/cd rom drive then select Properties.
6.Then you'll see the "device type"

Edited by cat33, 01 December 2012 - 08:50 PM.

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:02 AM

On my device manager, it lists the optical drive as DVD/CD ROM Drives. This computer has been upgraded from a Windows 7 PC with the exact same hardware, aside from the replacement of the ODD once this issue started. Discs were able to be ripped in Windows 7, I did it many times. I'm thinking this may actually be an OS issue, not a hardware one. I have noticed that Microsoft has made some alterations to the optical drive portions of Windows 8, as described in the Optical Platform Changes in Windows 8, but I don't know if the changes would have done this. It's also possible the upgrade process from 7 to 8 botched something.

I'm currently using a Sony Optiarc drive, here's the site for info on it.
I previously had a Lite-On drive, but I don't remember the model, though it was able to read and write CD's and DVD's.

3939.png

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:38 PM

Update: I still haven't found a solid fix for my problem, but did try something different.

I recently purchased an external hard drive enclosure for my Wii U. I took the drive out of the enclosure to see if the SATA and power ports could be adapted to the optical drive not physically installed inside the computer. If I removed the screws holding the backplate onto the enclosure, and two more holding the mounting plate to the backplate, the controller board, complete with all necessary connections could be fitted to the Lite-On drive, turning it into an external drive. I did so, plugged it in and Windows 8 immediately recognized the drive. I put the Alicia Keys CD in the tray and Windows noticed it was indeed an music optical disc and I ripped the CD. I again tried putting the audio CD in the internal drive and the problem continued.

This leads me to suspect a few things, either, there is an issue with the motherboard SATA port connecting the optical drive, which there shouldn't since it worked under Windows 7, or, there is some kind of software conflict with this SATA port and Windows 8. But, this is a very unusual problem. I'm currently using an Asus Sabertooth 990FX motherboard with an FX-8150 CPU.

3939.png

#5 paul7diesel

paul7diesel

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 08 June 2013 - 07:22 AM

Hey DJBPace07,

I've got the same problem in Windows 7, even after reinstalling the system, windows can read data cd and dvd with no problem but AudioCD not and PC hangs a while after insterting CD.

Any news or resolutions on this matter?

Thanks...

EDIT: I'm using the same MOBO (Sabertooth 990FX) as you do.

EDIT2: I've switched the optical drive to sata3 port from regular sata2 and everything seems to be working.

Edited by paul7diesel, 08 June 2013 - 07:54 AM.

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:32 AM

Have you tried using a hard drive dock or external enclosure?  Doing so may allow the drive to be read by USB.  My workaround was to move the the optical drive from one SATA port to another.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users