Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Endless "Acquiring network address"

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 lenioffe

lenioffe

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:46 PM

I run Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 (sorry to even say that!) Service pack 3. The connection to the network is wired to a cable model. The provider uses a dynamic IP address resolution. It has been working fine for years but now I'm getting a mssage "Acquiring network address" at a speed of 100Mbps. It never succeeds. When I try to disable it I get a message "It is not possible to disable the connection at this time. This connection may be using one or more protocols that do not support Plug-and-Play, or it may have been initiated by another user or the system account". I'm the only user and the administrator.

Internet protocol propetties show "Obtain IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS server automatically". I called my cable provider tech support and we looked at DHS, WINS and Options tabs and everything looked rigtht.

The cable support technician told that my network card was bad and had to be replaced.
Is there a way to confirm/test that? The cable connection is fine as all wireless devices work well. I thought the problem could have been with the cable but when I unplug it from the modem the computer complains which tell me that the existing cable is not broken.

I rebooted the computer but that did not help.
Thanks a lot.

Len.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users