Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer freezes using bit torrent

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 stannie65

stannie65

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 14 November 2004 - 08:58 AM

Not sure if this is the right place but here goes!

Im using a program called bit torrent for downloads and while using it sometimes my computer will freeze for 5 seconds (no mouse movement or anything) then work for 5 secs then freeze etc, the download rates in bit torrent drop and eventually the net connection drops off. Has obviously it is bit torrent that causes this but i have never had any problems with it before as i have been running it for a while. I am using a cable/dsl modem (linksys) please help!!

many thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 14 November 2004 - 01:13 PM

May be spiking your CPU. Are you downloading a lot of files at the same time ? What client are you using?

#3 stannie65

stannie65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2004 - 03:01 PM

it doesnt happen all the time and can happen when im only downloading one file, i have to restart my computer whenever it happens, im using shadows experimental

any ideas?

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2004 - 10:54 AM

When this happens again, take a look at your hard drive led on your case and see if its flickering like crazy or solid. This will show if at the times its happening if your hard drive activity is going nuts. When that happens your CPU spikes and you will exhibit behaviour like this.

If it is the case, we will try and determine what is causing it to go crazy

#5 azrael

azrael

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2004 - 09:03 PM

I came across this thread browsing for stuff on bittorrents. I'm using torrent storm and have a similar problem. I'd like to know what spiking is. My main problem is after a large download overnight the computer will not shut down so I have to continually reset.It would be great if someone could give us some answers. As always thanks for your time and patience. :thumbsup:

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2004 - 11:25 PM

Could be a memory leak. Also abc sometimes stays running even when you shut it down. Press control-alt-delete and make sure the programs are not running in memory even though you had shut them down

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users