Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 booting issue after taking ownership of hard drive on another pc.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DoLLeR

DoLLeR

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:40 AM

Hi, I recently pulled my hard drive from a windows 7 machine and changed ownership (on winxp) of the hard drive so I could copy some files. Well now that I put the hard drive back in the windows 7 computer it boots, shows the windows 7 logo then black screen with a functioning mouse pointer.

I am guessing this happened because I changed the hard drive owner.

I tried changing the permission on the hard drive to allow everyone full access but that did not work, still won't boot. I also tried f8 and did a repair, but it did not find anything to repair.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank u so much.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Julia G

Julia G

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:39 AM

Since you can access Safe Mode go again to 'Repair your Computer' and run it 3 times in a row,(reboot after each time)NO matter what results you get the first two times.İf that doesn't do it,and you don't mention any error messages or the like)you may be best served by simply reinstalling the OS,if you don't have any system images at the ready.

#3 DoLLeR

DoLLeR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:59 AM

Yea, I am trying to avoid the total system restore but that may be where this is heading. I will try the 3 in a row and let you know if that worked.

Thanks

#4 DoLLeR

DoLLeR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:11 AM

3 time repair did not fix the problem :( Thanks anyway

#5 Julia G

Julia G

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:23 AM

Hmm sorry to hear that.Do you get any error messages at all? İn Safe Mode,have you tried 'Last known good configuration?

#6 DoLLeR

DoLLeR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:41 AM

I get zero errors. It just boots to the black screen. I have tried last known good configuration.

I hooked the hard drive back up to my XP machine and I am gonna run some virus scanners to see if that may be the problem. Im running out of ideas :P

Edited by DoLLeR, 01 December 2012 - 10:42 AM.

#7 Julia G

Julia G

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:50 AM

You know if the hard drive is back on the pc,for scanning i would go here http://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner/ İt will delete anything it finds at the end of the scan.İf the problem is malware you can also download and burn to disc http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/36403/how-to-use-the-kaspersky-rescue-disk-to-clean-your-infected-pc/ on a healthy pc and boot from it.

See how you go.

CORRECTİON To access the ESET site you'll need to go back to Safe Mode>Advanced Boot Options and choose Safe Mode with Networking.
From there you can go to the ESET site.

Edited by Julia G, 01 December 2012 - 11:11 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users