Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird boot from CD fail

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 henri09

henri09

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:12 AM

Hello.
I had a issue with my CD/DVD drive, it didn't recognize CD inside and so on (I cleaned the laser lens (it didn't fix it perfectly, it still burps)), but finally I was able to burn a new cd XP SP3 on it (currently SP2), I also have other XP cd-s where I should be able to start booting and at friends place we burnt a new cd which I also tryed to burn at home and failed at checking phase.
So I Booted, Sometimes it reads the CD and can press any key to boot, sometimes it doesn't boot, as the CD drive is like in difficulties reading the CD.
If it boots, then the text appears: Inspecting your computer hardware configuration, then it eiher GOES BLACK or RESTARTS, depends of the CD. Once a bit after the blank screen it said INF file TXTSETUP.SIF is missing or corrupt.

Anyways, I also downloaded the Partguru, and made the USB-ZIP boot, and deleted the partitions, I thought that it will help, but now I'm in a situation, where I can't use computer, but can use the partguru program.

I've done:
Removed one RAM slot (At starting I had 512MB pqi RAM, now I have 2 slots of 1GB kingston)
Changed HDD from AUTO to LBA.
Removed all partitions in partguru, made only one primary partiton and formated it and made active.

AT THE MOMENT I'm using the bootfix CD that has 10 options from the thread which is pinned (because it also says NTLDR is missing), first three options didn't boot up a PC, I'm at 4th, going forward when PC can read the CD, cause it often fails to read the CD in drive.
Could a FAULTY CD drive be a reason?

Hard drive is Phoenix
COMP is AMD ahlon 64 3000

Edited by henri09, 30 November 2012 - 07:57 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,749 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:50 PM

<<Could a FAULTY CD drive be a reason?>>

A faulty device for entering data into the system...yes, that could cause problems.

You seem to have plenty of indicators that it's time to at least try a different CD/DVD device.

Louis

#3 henri09

henri09
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:43 AM

Luckily the other CD-drive now reads the CD-s fine and it booted and the blue screen appeared and then the Partition stuff, but My HDD should be 120GB not as my USB drive which was 512MB as it showed as the partition.

I went to the BIOS and in CMOS Auto detect hard drive, it didn't detect the HDD.
When I use the USB with that PartitonGuru program...it said No drives or hard drives or smth found and forces me to CMD.

This problem is unknown for me but I am thankful if somebody knows what to do with it.

Edited by henri09, 01 December 2012 - 01:39 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,749 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:04 PM

Let's start at the beginning or near the beginning please.

When...and why...did you decide to reinstall Windows?

http://www.eassos.com/ , why are you attempting to use a data-recovery program on your system?

Forget about the PartitionGuru program...see if you can boot into safe mode in your existing Windows install.

Louis

#5 henri09

henri09
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:29 PM

OK, I made the problem and Solved it too.
The CD device was the reason for the black screen, but the following problems were appearing, because I had pluged a wrong power adapter to the HDD, thats what I tryed after one person on another forum warned, that he had done such thing himself, so thats what I also did.

Thankyou Louis for your help and I appreciate it :)

Edited by henri09, 02 December 2012 - 02:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users