Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

First Computer Build.. Problems

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 el duderino

el duderino

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 24 March 2006 - 08:22 AM

hi all, having a problem building my first computer.
here is what i got:
click here
i got everything tuesday, hooked it all up, got the videocard yesterday. put it in the pci slot, and hooked up the power. closed the case hooked the periphrials up, turned it on, and nothing. the fans come on(cpu, case x2, and video card). the led comes on on the mobo, one of the cd players ejects, the other doesnt. the monitor isnt getting a signal.
why did i expect it to work easily?
what do you think the culprit is?

thanks for any help i can get.
-w

Edited by el duderino, 24 March 2006 - 10:47 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 24 March 2006 - 09:36 AM

That is a secure link that requires your password and user name. Plaese copy and paste the specification in a reply and we will be glad to review it for you.

Reseat your video adapter (remove and reinsert it). Is this PCI or PCIe? There is a big difference.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 el duderino

el duderino
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2006 - 09:57 AM

ok, i fixed it. sorry bout that.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2006 - 10:09 AM

What was the problem?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 el duderino

el duderino
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2006 - 10:26 AM

lol i meant i fixed the link to all the hardware i installed. if i had fixed the computer there would have been a lot more woo hoo's involved. and probably an explanation as to how i did something stupid.
its a pci express x16 card/mobo. i tried removing and reinstalling it to make sure i had it in correctly already.

Edited by el duderino, 24 March 2006 - 10:46 AM.

#6 Jazzgirl

Jazzgirl

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2006 - 05:54 PM

Did you make sure and hook the four-plug power molex to the video card? Also, it looks like there is another 4-plug molex in the top left-hand corner. If you don't connect power to that plug it probably won't boot. Did you connect power to that?

Edited by Jazzgirl, 26 March 2006 - 05:57 PM.

#7 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 26 March 2006 - 07:12 PM

Check all connections prior to booting up your computer, also did you check the BIOS for anything out of the picture? Never hurts to check.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#8 Gothmog

Gothmog

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 27 March 2006 - 05:05 AM

el duderino, try unhooking everything and then start attaching components in order of importance. Leave the proc and RAM in of course, but unhook all the drives(don't leave dead-end cables attached to the mobo). I don't see onboard video on the Mobo, so:
Start with a barebones config of Video card and floppy drive. Like the other said, make sure all your connections are seated well.
If that doesnt get you going then you know your problem lies in those basic elements.
Then if you are able to boot up you can at least get to the BIOS and check things. Then add one new element each time you boot. I suggest this order: DVD-ROM, Primary HD, install OS, DVD-Burner, anything else.

This always works for me when I tinker with my machines and they stop booting. Usually I go from being really pissed off about not being able to figure out whats wrong and why it won't work to being really pissed off that I have no idea what was wrong but somehow I fixed the problem.

#9 el duderino

el duderino
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2006 - 11:35 AM

Did you make sure and hook the four-plug power molex to the video card? Also, it looks like there is another 4-plug molex in the top left-hand corner. If you don't connect power to that plug it probably won't boot. Did you connect power to that?

we have a winner!!!
i actually found the problem over the weekend with a friend of mine. it was the 4 plug molex on the mobo which i had missed. also the cd drives were both set to master...

thanks all for your help.

Edited by el duderino, 27 March 2006 - 12:50 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users