Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD, Stop Error, and more

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 The Pookster

The Pookster

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:29 AM

I am currently running Windows XP Home Edition. My son attempted to install Office 10 on it and during the install, it crashed and I have been unable to boot it since.

Initially, I was able to get to the Startup Repair screen, where I tried to do a System Restore. The restore ran for 28 hours before I finally shut the computer down and now, I get the BSOD with the following error message when I boot.

The stop error message I get is:
stop 0x0000c1f5

Can anyone help me? I have access to an external docking station so I can remove the hard drive if need be. I need the files off the PC for school and am desperate.

Thanks for any help of any kind.

Edited by hamluis, 04 December 2012 - 07:49 AM.
Moved from XP to Vista - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,541 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:37 PM

That error seems to be Vista-related...and XP doesn't offer a "startup repair" while later versions of Windows do.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/970101

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#3 The Pookster

The Pookster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:11 PM

Computer Manufacturer: Acer
Make: Aspire
Model: 3680 Series Model ZR1

I ran a chkdsk and I am now able to get past the BSOD but nothing else. The computer launches Startup repair and then indicates the following:
Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically

Problem Signature:
Problem Event Name: StartupRepairV2
Problem Signature 01: AutoFailover
Problem Signature 02: 6.0.6000.16386.0.0.0.0
Problem Signature 03: 0
Problem Signature 04: 65537
Problem Signature 05: unknown
Problem Signature 06: OsVersionMismatch
Problem Signature 07: 0
Problem Signature 08: 0
Problem Signature 09: unknown
Problem Signature 10: 1168
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

#4 The Pookster

The Pookster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:39 PM

I did try all the online fixes I could find. I even tried putting in the XP CD hoping I could do a repair of the OS but no luck. Am I best off just reinstalling the OS altogether?

#5 The Pookster

The Pookster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:08 AM

I think I finally got the truth from my son. He said that he was told he needed to have Vista SP 1 installed before he could install the MS office product. So he downloaded and attempted to install Vista SP 1 and that's when the computer crashed and would not boot again. So, at least I know what happened now. Now, how do I undo the Vista SP 1 install?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,541 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:48 AM

I'm confused...you posted in the XP forum and stated that the O/S is XP Home...so what is all this about Vista SP1?

It doesn't add up.

MS Office 10 requirements per Microsoft, http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/products/microsoft-office-2010-system-requirements-HA101810407.aspx .

I've not tried such...but I don't believe that Windows will allow an installation of critical updates designed for a different version of Windows.

And...there is no Startup Repair screen for XP.

I am moving your topic to the Vista forum.

Louis

#7 The Pookster

The Pookster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:53 AM

My son said his friend told him he had to install the Vista SP 1 on the system before he could install the office product. The install of SP 1 never completed - but crashed the computer instead and made it unbootable. I do have the original XP installation cd that came with the computer and can reinstall the OS but was hoping I could "undo" what he did.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,541 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:26 PM

To be honest...I would just reinstall the O/S, since it appears that the system files are quite messed up, IMO.

But...I suggest that you await comments from others here, since I've never anticipated/had a situation where system files for two different versions of Windows were involved.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users