Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CCleaner settings

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ncs22

ncs22

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:56 PM

Hi. I was wondering if it is completely safe to have CCleaner clean the following 2 areas: "Environment Path" and "Alternate Data Streams". Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 md2lgyk

md2lgyk

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:27 AM

What version of CCleaner do you have? I have the latest version. It lists Environment Path (though I haven't checked it) but there is no listing for Alternate Data Streams.

#3 spc3rd

spc3rd

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:23 AM

(For md2lgyk):

It may be ncs22 is referring to the option found here:

CCleaner > Options > Settings > Windows Secure Deletion

There is a checkbox under the Windows Secure Deletion heading entitled, "Wipe alternate data streams."

Although, I'm using the latest CCleaner version like you, I'm unable to adequately answer ncs22"s inquiry...perhaps you are better able to do so.

(For ncs22):

I see that you posted this similar question about CCleaner back on August 7, 2012 at the following location HERE.

Forum member Budapest was 1 of 2 respondents to your inquiry and provided a *resource link for you at that time *(An article by BC Forum Admin Grinler). Did you check out the information at the resource link, and was it of any help to you?

HTH and best regards, :busy:

Edited by spc3rd, 30 November 2012 - 10:13 AM.

spc3rd

Dell Optiplex 755 Desktop | Win 7 Pro, SP 1, 64-bit | Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.00 gHz CPU | 8 GB RAM | 400 GB Seagate SATA HDD | Outpost Security Suite Pro | MBAM Premium 2.0 | Spywareblaster | SAS (on-demand) | Blocklist Pro | IE 11 & FF w/ NoScript | Disconnect | Adblock Plus | Flagfox

#4 md2lgyk

md2lgyk

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:53 AM

Oh, so that's where it is. Thanks. Since I'm the sole user of this computer and it holds no sensitive or personal information, I have never seen the need for more securely deleting files.

#5 spc3rd

spc3rd

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:14 AM

Hey...no problem! :thumbup2:

I had to do some searching around the CCleaner UI just to find it!

Cheers! :busy:

spc3rd

Dell Optiplex 755 Desktop | Win 7 Pro, SP 1, 64-bit | Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.00 gHz CPU | 8 GB RAM | 400 GB Seagate SATA HDD | Outpost Security Suite Pro | MBAM Premium 2.0 | Spywareblaster | SAS (on-demand) | Blocklist Pro | IE 11 & FF w/ NoScript | Disconnect | Adblock Plus | Flagfox

#6 ncs22

ncs22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:02 PM

Thanks everyone...I neglected to see that article originally. Looks like it's not a big deal..thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users