Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet/Ethernet

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Texaschick

Texaschick

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:50 PM

I have always used an Ethernet cable cord plugged into computer to wall jack for my Internet. It hasn't worked for 2 days now. I need help how to fix it. When I open my network settings, it says the dependency service group failed to start. (I am using my iPhone to write this) Please help! Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:50 PM

Hello Texaschick and Welcome -
First, do you have a spare Ethernet Cable to replace the current one in case it is faulty ??
Now, check that All connections are removed and simply reinserted, in case they were not seated fully -

Go to Control Panel > Internet Options > Connections > LAN Settings - Now make sure the only box ticked is the top one > Automatically Detect Settings.
Now Click > OK > OK to leave that area.

Have you phoned your Internet Provider to see if the problem is at their end ??
Last - Has there been any problems with "general" telephone lines in your area recently ??

Thank You -

#3 Texaschick

Texaschick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:29 AM

Yes I have tried all of those.

#4 Texaschick

Texaschick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:01 PM

Also, my firewall has been turning off and won't let me turn it back on, I use Mcafee. Any help would be appreciated!

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:52 PM

Hi - Sorry, I missed your last post -

Do you have access to a spare computer so that we can transter some downloads via USB stick ??
This is the easiest method if your current system cannot download anything, and all of the above steps have been taken.
These first 2 steps do not require internet, and may save some time -
FIRST -
Run sfc /scannow - Go Start > Programs > Accessories and find Command Prompt Right click on it and select Run as Administrator.
Now type sfc /scannow (note the space between c and /) Now press ENTER and it will run -
This may run from 10 to 20 minutes depending on your system. Please note any errors or major stops for more than 5 minutes.
NEXT -
As above for Command Prompt, but type chkdsk /r (note the space between k and / )
Press Enter and a message will ask Y / N Press Y and >> REBOOT your computer.
This will run from 1 to 2 hours depending on your system -

Again internet is not required >>
Click Start, on search box, and then type devmgmt.msc press Enter. From Device Manager, locate the Network Adapters, expand it.
Do you see any ( ! X or ? ) symbols.
On the problem computer verify that all your network services are Started - From Control Panel > Admin Tools > Services:
• COM+ Event System (for WZC issues)
• Computer Browser
• DHCP Client
• DNS Client
• Network Connections
• Network Location Awareness
• Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
• Server
• TCP/IP Netbios helper
• Wireless Zero Configuration ( XP wireless configurations only)
• WLAN AutoConfig ( Vista wireless configurations only)
• Workstation

Please let us know.

Thank You -

Edited by noknojon, 01 December 2012 - 03:55 PM.

#6 Texaschick

Texaschick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:06 PM

I did the sfc scannow and it didn't find anything, I am currently running the chkdsk and will let you know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users