Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slax 5.0.8 Live Cd

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 cybormoron

cybormoron

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 24 March 2006 - 06:03 AM

first time running slax. runs pretty good. it's small. it has the bare minimum of applications. just the necessary ones. browser, chat, media player, paint, text editor, you know.

home page
http://slax.linux-live.org/

release announcment
http://distrowatch.com/index.php?distribution=slax

professional screenshots
http://shots.osdir.com/slideshows/slidesho...se=566&slide=32

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
I can no longer sit back and allow Microsoft infiltration, Microsoft indoctrination, Microsoft subversion, and the international Microsoft conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious open source GNU/Linux operating systems. General Jack D. Ripper.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 24 March 2006 - 08:01 AM

After you have run it a week or so would you post a review about it?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 cybormoron

cybormoron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2006 - 07:51 PM

hi acklan...sounds like you're asking me to do a very important job, loool. shall we start the contract negotiations? specifically my large compensation package requirements, looooool. sorry, just kidding. i would be more than happy to post some comments and observations. however, i'm really just pretty much a n00b about computers and even more so about linux. so i really wouldn't know what to say or point out. i do appreciate this dedicated thread to live cd's. i've been making similar posts on another board that i hang out at. perhaps i can do the same here with all the live cd's that i like to play with. if i may? i'm not really sure what purpose they serve or what point i'm trying to make. i guess it's kind of like when i first got my computer and made everybody in the house come look at what i had on the screen, looool. it helps me learn my way around linux though. i have no biases on what OS is or is not better than another one and i don't really care for the flame wars about it. "to each his own" i say. i'm just excited about the variety that one can find. so maybe that's my point.

anyways, back to slax. i think it would be best for me to just refer to the websites that do the professional reviews and screenshots. they are good about it and i'd just be repeating some of the same info. but i can make some comments on what i'm doing. for starters i'm using KWord (word processor) to write and edit this post. i use KSnapshot to get the screenshots. i used KolourPaint to do some basic image editing such as pasting another image layer onto another image and add some text to it. worked pretty good. i'm also using Kplayer to blast some mp3 files that are on my windows partition. i guess these applications are part of the KDE desktop environment which is the default for slax. oh, i'm using Konqueror for surfing the web and exploring my folders. there's also Kopete for IM'ing. there's a few other programs but not very many as this distro is intended to be small. it does have the basic necessities tho. the only problem i'm having is that i can't get Akregator to open. not sure how to fix that. maybe if i reboot or something it might work. another thing is i'm getting some websites that won't play flash content. it's strange because flash will play from different sites. i guess that's how linux is. you have to figure out how to make things work. but you can also make things the way you want them.

i usually just run a live cd for at most a couple of days. but i could easily just as well run it longer. i like to jump around alot. that's enough out of me for now. i'm off to pop in another distro. stay tuned, looool.

KBattleship. i love this game, looool.
Posted Image
I can no longer sit back and allow Microsoft infiltration, Microsoft indoctrination, Microsoft subversion, and the international Microsoft conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious open source GNU/Linux operating systems. General Jack D. Ripper.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2006 - 08:19 PM

hi acklan...sounds like you're asking me to do a very important job, loool. shall we start the contract negotiations? specifically my large compensation package requirements, looooool. sorry, just kidding. i would be more than happy to post some comments and observations. however, i'm really just pretty much a n00b about computers and even more so about linux. so i really wouldn't know what to say or point out. i do appreciate this dedicated thread to live cd's. i've been making similar posts on another board that i hang out at. perhaps i can do the same here with all the live cd's that i like to play with. if i may? i'm not really sure what purpose they serve or what point i'm trying to make. i guess it's kind of like when i first got my computer and made everybody in the house come look at what i had on the screen, looool. it helps me learn my way around linux though. i have no biases on what OS is or is not better than another one and i don't really care for the flame wars about it. "to each his own" i say. i'm just excited about the variety that one can find. so maybe that's my point.

i usually just run a live cd for at most a couple of days. but i could easily just as well run it longer. i like to jump around alot. that's enough out of me for now. i'm off to pop in another distro. stay tuned, looool.

I'll slipt everything I make at Bleeping Computer. :thumbsup:

You, being a newbie, are perfect to write an article about Slax Live. You will point out what someone new to the OS may want to know. We have many reviews all over the internet by professionals. Many new users cannot make heads or tails what they are talking about. If you are not comfortable with that right now thats cool. Later if you feel you can express yourself please feel free POST at that time.

#5 cybormoron

cybormoron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2006 - 09:18 PM

well acklan...thinking about saying something to newbies made me realize that i have had difficuly learning to run linux. in fact it's been quite frustrating from the start. but i kept trying because i was bound and determined to learn linux. i would hate to say anything critical about any operating system but there does seem to be a problem with finding suitable explainations. for example; when i downloaded my first iso and burned it to cd. i had merely copied the iso rather than making a bootable cd. 3 times i did this in 2 days till i found something that explained what i was doing wrong. sheesh, i 've seen where some people have given up at this point and posted some nasty flames about it on some boards, looool. anyways the explaination is that your burning software does the converting itself. you just have to select the correct option. in my case i have sonic that came free with my machine. there are a couple of other good free ones available also. i finally read the help file and found my answer. i was selecting the wrong option.

so now i have a bootable live cd of knoppix 3.8. let's reboot and see what happens. fortunately my computer will boot from cd rom so i didn't have to learn how to edit my bios. i don't know if i would have continued to expirement at this point if it didn't because i might mess up my computer. but i was good to go. ok, i have knoppix running, now what? looooooool. it looks great but i have no clue what to do, loool. i think i managed to play a game of solitare and even open a browser and go on the web. but i quickly realized that i would be unable to save anything (images, bookmarks, etc) so i didn't understand the advantage of running a live cd. so back to my precious xp i go.

after awhile i see something called puppy linux. it's fast and small. well i have to give this a try, afterall i know how to burn a cd now. it was a disaster. there was a problem with the mouse. i couldn't move the cursor on the screen. i had to manually power off the machine. so using my xp i searched around for a solution and tried again. it just wasn't going to work on this machine so back to xp i go.

then i find a magazine at the bookstore that said it was easy to install linux. it had the cd's and a guide. it seemed risky to me but i went for it anyway. there's just too much talk about linux on the web so i had to find out for myself what this linux thing is. so now i have mandriva 2005 installed. it was easy as said. woooohooooo, i am an official linux user now, looooooool. i actually have a dual boot machine now. but wait, there's problems. there's a new version out and it's recommended that everyone should upgrade. it took awhile and i had to reinstall a couple of times and i had problems learning how to use it and configure it and install plugins and edit my xorg configuration but it's now a solid operating system on my computer and i find myself using it quite frequently. when i'm not running live cd's, looool.

i'm using a live cd to make this post. PCLinuxOS. it's been running about 3 days now. i figured out that i can upload my screenshots and bookmarks to the web somewhere so i don't need to save anything. knoppix is now at version 5.0 and i think everyone that owns a computer should have this cd. they say it will do anything. puppy is now at version 1.0.8 and this version runs great on my machine. it responds so well that it scares me, loool.

so that's my story fwiw. i do like to run live cd's tho. i think i have about 50 of 'em. each one is more amazing than the last. whatever problems come up are easier to solve now because i know my around a little bit. so for you newbies i say don't try to learn it all at once because there's about a million new words and programs to explore. i still don't understand what to do with a tarball or a binary.

Posted Image

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2006 - 11:31 PM

Thanks for the post. It is aways good to have an independent opinion. Can't wait to read your next post.

#7 holytoaster4

holytoaster4

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 06 November 2006 - 12:34 PM

hi, just posting to add this to my topics sorry i don't really have anything to say.
TOASTERS WILL RULE THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!

#8 Yourhighness

Yourhighness

The BSG Malware Fighter

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,943 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 08 November 2006 - 03:02 PM

hi, just posting to add this to my topics sorry i don't really have anything to say.

Hi,

just a few links to show you how you can watch a topic w/o having to reply:

First you need to navigate to options of a topic at the top right hand corner and click on "Track this topic". It looks like this (for all following links, click to see image):
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l84/Sill...man/options.png

Then after that, you will have to chose your notification method:
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l84/Sill...ptions_ctrl.png

Hope this helps.

Brgds,

Johannes

Edited by Yourhighness, 08 November 2006 - 03:03 PM.

"How did I get infected?" - "Safe-hex" - Member of UNITE -
Posted Image

#9 holytoaster4

holytoaster4

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2006 - 03:07 PM

oh, thanks i just didn't know how though i knew there must have been some way.

#10 Yourhighness

Yourhighness

The BSG Malware Fighter

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,943 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 08 November 2006 - 03:08 PM

hehe, all good. Just wanted to let you know how to do it ;)

"How did I get infected?" - "Safe-hex" - Member of UNITE -
Posted Image

#11 holytoaster4

holytoaster4

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2006 - 12:51 PM

k

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users