Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Constant pop up box bugging me

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 harkcomp

harkcomp

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:11 PM

I have recently done a systems clean up and added more Ram to my system and my computer is running like greased lightning. I LOVE IT!!!

However, I ocassionally get this large pop-up box that reads:

"INTERNET EXPLORER HAS EXPERIENCED A PROBLEM WITH THIS WEBSITE AND MUST SHUT DOWN AND RESTART YOUR COMPUTER".

And then a few seconds later a notice will pop up on the screen announcing that this tab has been recovered. Everything returns to the screen and all seems to be well again. Problem is....this can be very annoying and I'm wondering what in the world is causing this. Is it a problem with my computer, or is there something wrong with the web site that the computer is sensing and is shutting me down as a precautionary method to protect my computer?

Thanks for your insights.

Harkcomp

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:34 PM

Is it a problem with my computer, or is there something wrong with the web site

Hi Harkcomp -
Nice to hear your system is otherwise running great after you played with it / upgraded it - :)

Is this problem only with one site (game site?) or only one browser (Internet Explorer / Firefox?) or on everything ??
Please list the Make and Model of computer if you can -

Thank You -

#3 harkcomp

harkcomp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:29 PM

Is it a problem with my computer, or is there something wrong with the web site

Hi Harkcomp -
Nice to hear your system is otherwise running great after you played with it / upgraded it - :)

Is this problem only with one site (game site?) or only one browser (Internet Explorer / Firefox?) or on everything ??
Please list the Make and Model of computer if you can -

Thank You -

Thanks Noknojon!
My computer is Dell Dimension 4700 and is running Pentium 4 Microsoft XP Professional. I don't do any games and there does not seem to be any consistency as to where or when this happens. And I'm just using Internet Explorer for my browser.
Thanks again,
Harkcomp

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:19 AM

Hi -
First thing to do is a Disk Check on your main hard drive, please follow these directions -

Run a Disk Check on your C: drive in Windows XP:

•Click Start and open My Computer
•Right-click on C: (or your Hard Drive Letter) and select Properties
•Click on the Tools tab
•Under Error-checking click the Check Now... button
•Mark the 2 boxes next to Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors
•Click on the Start button
•When the message box pops up, click the Schedule disk check button and >> Restart your computer
Once your computer restarts it will check the drive, don't press any keys or shut down power so that it is allowed to do so
This will take over 1 hour (on average), so please let it finish the scan.

Now go Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and select Disk Defragmenter - At the bottom click Defragment and let the program run.
Depending on the amount of RED compared to Blue lines this may take from 5 minutes up to 2 hours - Please let it finish -

Tell us when these are both done -

Thank You -

#5 harkcomp

harkcomp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:25 PM

Hi -
First thing to do is a Disk Check on your main hard drive, please follow these directions -

•Click on the Tools tab
•Mark the 2 boxes next to Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors
•When the message box pops up, click the Schedule disk check button and >> Restart your computer
Once your computer restarts it will check the drive, don't press any keys or shut down power so that it is allowed to do so

Now go Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and select Disk Defragmenter - At the bottom click Defragment and let the program run.
Depending on the amount of RED compared to Blue lines this may take from 5 minutes up to 2 hours - Please let it finish -

Thank You -

Thanks Noknojon! I will go ahead and do this. I did do a Defrag just recently but will do it again.
I will let you know when this is done.
Harkcomp

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:10 PM

"INTERNET EXPLORER HAS EXPERIENCED A PROBLEM WITH THIS WEBSITE AND MUST SHUT DOWN AND RESTART YOUR COMPUTER".
Is that the EXACT wording of the message you see?

Does this message only appear on secured sites....https...?

Sometimes simply removing temporary files will solve the problem of IE having to close.

Which IE are you using...6, 7, 8, 9...?
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 harkcomp

harkcomp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:34 PM

Hi -

•Click on the Tools tab

Thank You -

Ok Noknojon,
As you have requested, I am letting you know that I have completed both of the operations you describe above.
Harkcom

#8 harkcomp

harkcomp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:42 PM

Is that the EXACT wording of the message you see?

Does this message only appear on secured sites....https...?

Sometimes simply removing temporary files will solve the problem of IE having to close.

Which IE are you using...6, 7, 8, 9...?

I have to apologize Buddy215...but I'm still very ignorant when it comest to computer jargon. How would I find which IE...6,7,8,9 I am using?

#9 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,116 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:39 PM

Open IE> click on help> click About Internet Explorer> The browser lists Internet Explorer's version number next to "Version" in this window.

Again....Is that the EXACT error message?
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#10 harkcomp

harkcomp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:55 PM

Open IE> click on help> click About Internet Explorer> The browser lists Internet Explorer's version number next to "Version" in this window.

Again....Is that the EXACT error message?

Buddy215,
Following your instructions above here are the numbers I found next to "Version" in the browser list:
5.1.2600 Serv Pack3 Build 2600

The exact wording of the pop up message reads...."Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. If you were in the middle of something it might be lost. Please tell Microsoft about the problem.
We have created an error report that you can send...........

#11 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,116 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:25 PM

Do that again and see if you see a number such as you see here (7) next to Internet Explorer. It could be 6, 7 or 8.

Posted Image

#12 harkcomp

harkcomp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:11 PM

Do that again and see if you see a number such as you see here (7) next to Internet Explorer. It could be 6, 7 or 8.

Posted Image

Got it this time.....its 8.0 :thumbup2:

#13 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,116 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:28 PM

Is there any reason why you would not want to upgrade to a more modern browser such as Firefox 17?

I think I was hoping you had IE6 or 7 and you could do an upgrade to 8. Same for the error message....
I was hoping the first one you gave was correct which would point to a malware cause.

Did you remove all temporary files? That might help if you did.

#14 harkcomp

harkcomp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:16 PM

Is there any reason why you would not want to upgrade to a more modern browser such as Firefox 17?

I think I was hoping you had IE6 or 7 and you could do an upgrade to 8. Same for the error message....
I was hoping the first one you gave was correct which would point to a malware cause.

Did you remove all temporary files? That might help if you did.

Removing all temporary files...is that what Noknojon instructed me to do in the beginning of this thread by running a disc check?
How would I upgrade to Firefox? Is Google Chrome another option?

#15 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,116 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:40 AM

Delete temporary files in Internet Explorer 8
  • Open Internet Options by clicking the Start button Posted Image, clicking Control Panel, clicking Network and Internet, and then clicking Internet Options.
  • Click the Safety button, and then click Delete Browsing History.
  • Select the check box next to each category of information you want to delete.
  • Select the Preserve Favorites website data check box if you do not want to delete the cookies and files associated with websites in your Favorites list.
  • Click Delete. This could take awhile if you have a lot of files and history.

Install either Firefox or Chrome or both....I prefer Firefox..to each his own.

Mozilla Firefox Web Browser — Free Download — mozilla.org

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users