Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Free Whitelisting App

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 SidMax

SidMax

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:15 PM

Hi guys,

I am looking for a free whitelisting application, except from AppLocker. It would be perfect if it would run on Win8. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks alot!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:20 PM

Hi -
Is this for a business project, or do you want more of an open Whitelisting Application ?? This is more of an Antivirus / Antimalware / Firewall Application.

Your best option for personal use is a good Active Antivirus, eg ESET or Kaspersky and a good Active Antimalware, eg Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro.
None of the above programs are therefore in your request for Free Programs, and I have not yet found one that meets your needs -

The major uses for application control and whitelisting today are to lock down production servers and embedded or fixed-purpose devices and PCs.
Deployment tends to be more complicated in enterprise deployments for general-purpose users that may have constantly changing application needs or wishes.

By utilising a Whitelisting Application, you tend to lock out / lock down everything you have not Whitelisted, and this totally limits everything not listed......
It would take many hours for you to personally add programs to your Application, and all others would not be accessable any more -

Just my view on your request, and I wish I could find this type of program and install it on my computers :)
Stay tuned as others may find a vague tool "like" the one you are seeking -

Thank You -

#3 SidMax

SidMax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:43 AM

Hi noknojon!

Yes, I was willing to use an application whitelisting software in order to add another layer of security to my personal workstation (not connected to a server, just directly to internet by DHCP). I've been the target of attacks with custom malware lately, and I do fear for the sensitive data I own. For the moment I am using Avast! Free Antivirus along with Comodo Firewall with custom policies, TrueCrypt to encrypt my system partition and a password manager (KeePass).

Shouldn't it be necessary to use app whitelisting? What do you say?

#4 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,685 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:04 PM

Application whitelisting is a good idea, but I don't know of anything free that will work on Windows 8.

Unfortunately, I've read that AppLocker is only available in Windows 8 Enterprise.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#5 SidMax

SidMax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:18 PM

Is there any workaround for this?

Would it be better to use a software like DeepFreeze to avoid custom malware infection?

Edited by SidMax, 02 December 2012 - 01:18 PM.

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:13 PM

For the moment I am using Avast! Free Antivirus along with Comodo Firewall with custom policies

Hi -
If your data is as sensitive as you imply, them I think it is time you paid a few $$ for a latest Full Version of Kaspersky / ESET / Comodo type programs.
I would add Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro version (only $30 for Lifetime version) to that mix -

Constant weekly / monthly back-ups to an External drive is also another reasonably cheap option (just time consuming).

Anything above is only My Personal opinion, and a "General reply" to your question / concerns.
Please, do not take offence to anything in my answer, but you seem very concerned, and only use Free Antivirus versions
OK for general home users, but many still use External drives or Virtual Machines to operate from so the main system is kept clean -

Thank You -

#7 SidMax

SidMax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:18 AM

Thank you for your answer, noknojon. I am not feeling offended at all, I appreciate your advices. I had a discount coupon from BitDefender so I bought BitDefender Total Security 2013 for 50$. Should I acquire a 30$ license for Malwarebytes, or is the security suite enough?

#8 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:11 AM

Hi -
Any protection is never 100% guaranteed, so another level is always better rather than less protection -

Depending on the level of protection that you require, the Lifetime license for MBAM is cheap and protection is great.
Support for Malwarebytes programs is also good, and responses are quick and helpful if ever needed -

I would add it to your system if it was up to me, or if I was your IT consultant - I often just add it to computers I repair without telling people.
The small fee is less than a call-back to remove any infections, and as a Lifetime license there are never any yearly renewal costs -

Regards -

#9 SidMax

SidMax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:58 AM

I will purchase it. I can't afford to lose my projects on malware attacks. Thank you for your time.

Edited by SidMax, 04 December 2012 - 06:59 AM.

#10 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:50 PM

:thumbup2:
Let us know if there are any other problems, and we will always offer help, or link help for you -

Regards -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users