Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CouponBar and Otto

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Elena H

Elena H

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:22 AM

Computer: Dell XPS 400
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP, Media Center Edition, Version 5.1

Steps completed:

Virus scan using McAfee
Malawarebytes
Wise Registry Cleaner
CCleaner

I suspect Otto and Couponbar are Malware because I can't uninstall them through CCleaner or the control panel.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sightless

Sightless

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:12 AM

Let's try an ESET OnlineScan
  • Hold down Control and click on the following link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.
    ESET OnlineScan
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)
    • Click on Posted Image to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
    • Double click on the Posted Image icon on your desktop.
  • Check Posted Image
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser.
  • Check Posted Image
  • Check Remove found threats and Scan potentially unwanted applications (If given the option, choose "Quarantine" instead of delete.)
  • Push the Start button.
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
  • When the scan completes, push Posted Image
  • Push Posted Image, and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
  • Push the Posted Image button.
  • Push Posted Image

Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode to your desktop.
  • Make sure all programs are closed
  • Doubleclick adwcleaner.exe
  • Click Delete
  • Press OK when prompted
  • Restart your computer when asked
  • Copy and paste the contents of the text files that opens after your computer restarts to a reply to this thread. (The log is also saved to C:\AdwCleaner[S1].txt)

Please include the following in your reply
ESET log
AdwCleaner log
Any questions/comments you may have

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,924 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:04 PM

Look in your browser add ons for these and disable them .

In FireFox it may be the Add ons/Plugins. try disabling them one at a time and see which one was at fault.

How to disable extensions and plugins

Keeping your third-party plugins up to date

In Chrome it may be the Add ons/Plugins. try disabling them one at a time and see which one was at fault.

OR Disable All Extensions ,see if that worked,then you need to go back to one by one to see which ps the culprit.

In Internet Explorere 8.. click on Tools and go to Manage Add-ons.

Next Run:
Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Posted Image and save it to your desktop.
  • Important!! When you save the mbam-setup file, rename it to something random (such as 123abc.exe) before beginning the download.
Malwarebytes may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.

• Make sure you are connected to the Internet and double-click on the renamed file to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • Malwarebytes will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button and continue.
  • If you cannot update Malwarebytes or use the Internet to download any files to the infected computer, manually update the database by following the instructions in FAQ Section A: 4. Issues.
  • Under the Scanner tab, make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Click on the Scan button.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then click the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked and then click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows the database version and your operating system.
  • Exit Malwarebytes when done.
Note: If Malwarebytes encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally will prevent Malwarebytes from removing all the malware.

-- Some types of malware will target Malwarebytes and other security tools to keep them from running properly. If that's the case, use Malwarebytes Chameleon and follow the onscreen instructions. The Chameleon folder can be accessed by opening the program folder for Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (normally C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware or C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware).

Select and disable them.

Edited by boopme, 29 November 2012 - 02:06 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 Elena H

Elena H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:39 PM

To Sightless: There were two files that were problematic with the Eset program. However, when started to save the log, the computer crashed, so I don't have it. I ran the Eset program again and it came up clean.

Here is the results of the ADW cleaner:

AdwCleaner v2.011 - Logfile created 12/05/2012 at 12:29:41
# Updated 02/12/2012 by Xplode
# Operating system : Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3 (32 bits)
# User : User - DDTVWH91
# Boot Mode : Normal
# Running from : C:\Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\WQVPDPNA\AdwCleaner[1].exe
# Option [Delete]

***** [Services] *****

***** [Files / Folders] *****

Folder Deleted : C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Viewpoint
Folder Deleted : C:\Documents and Settings\User\Application Data\Viewpoint
Folder Deleted : C:\Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Application Data\Conduit
Folder Deleted : C:\Program Files\Common Files\Software Update Utility
Folder Deleted : C:\Program Files\Conduit

***** [Registry] *****

Key Deleted : HKCU\Software\Conduit
Key Deleted : HKCU\Software\ConduitSearchScopes
Key Deleted : HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\MenuExt\&Search
Key Deleted : HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchScopes\{AFDBDDAA-5D3F-42EE-B79C-185A7020515B}
Key Deleted : HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchScopes\{CFF4DB9B-135F-47C0-9269-B4C6572FD61A}
Key Deleted : HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{03F998B2-0E00-11D3-A498-00104B6EB52E}
Key Deleted : HKCU\Software\SmartBar
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\AppID\{6C259840-5BA8-46E6-8ED1-EF3BA47D8BA1}
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\AppID\{A7DDCBDE-5C86-415c-8A37-763AE183E7E4}
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\AppID\{B27D9527-3762-4D71-963D-FB7A94FDD678}
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\AppID\dnu.EXE
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\AppID\WMHelper.DLL
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\AxMetaStream.MetaStreamCtl
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\AxMetaStream.MetaStreamCtl.1
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\AxMetaStream.MetaStreamCtlSecondary
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\AxMetaStream.MetaStreamCtlSecondary.1
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{03F998B2-0E00-11D3-A498-00104B6EB52E}
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{1B00725B-C455-4DE6-BFB6-AD540AD427CD}
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{3C471948-F874-49F5-B338-4F214A2EE0B1}
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{7B089B94-D1DC-4C6B-87E1-8156E22C1D96}
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{E15A9BFD-D16D-496D-8222-44CADF316E70}
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\dnUpdate
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\dnUpdater.DownloadUIBrowser
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\dnUpdater.DownloadUIBrowser.1
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\dnUpdater.DownloadUpdController
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\dnUpdater.DownloadUpdController.1
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{660E6F4F-840D-436D-B668-433D9591BAC5}
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{B37B4BA6-334E-72C1-B57E-6AFE8F8A5AF3}
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{B77AD4AC-C1C2-B293-7737-71E13A11FFEA}
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{E7435878-65B9-44D1-A443-81754E5DFC90}
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{E773F2CF-5E6E-FF2B-81A1-AC581A26B2B2}
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Toolbar.CT2559647
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\TypeLib\{92380354-381A-471F-BE2E-DD9ACD9777EA}
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\TypeLib\{96F7FABC-5789-EFA4-B6ED-1272F4C1D27B}
Key Deleted : HKLM\Software\Conduit
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{03F998B2-0E00-11D3-A498-00104B6EB52E}
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{1B00725B-C455-4DE6-BFB6-AD540AD427CD}
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Management\ARPCache\mywebsearch bar uninstall
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Management\ARPCache\ViewpointMediaPlayer
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\PreApproved\{7B089B94-D1DC-4C6B-87E1-8156E22C1D96}
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\SoftwareUpdUtility

***** [Internet Browsers] *****

-\\ Internet Explorer v8.0.6001.18702

[OK] Registry is clean.

AdwCleaner[S1].txt - [4171 octets] - [05/12/2012 12:29:41]

########## EOF - C:\AdwCleaner[S1].txt - [4231 octets] ##########

***************************************************************************************************************
To Boopme: I will do what you suggested next.

Thank you both for your help.

Elena

#5 Elena H

Elena H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:09 PM

Boopme, here's the Malwarebyte's log:

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.65.1.1000
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: v2012.12.05.07

Windows XP Service Pack 3 x86 NTFS
Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702
User :: DDTVWH91 [administrator]

12/5/2012 12:47:49 PM
mbam-log-2012-12-05 (12-47-49).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Scan options enabled: Memory | Startup | Registry | File System | Heuristics/Extra | Heuristics/Shuriken | PUP | PUM
Scan options disabled: P2P
Objects scanned: 233420
Time elapsed: 20 minute(s), 46 second(s)

Memory Processes Detected: 0
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Detected: 0

Registry Keys Detected: 0

Registry Values Detected: 0

Registry Data Items Detected: 0

Folders Detected: 0

Files Detected: 0

(end)

#6 Elena H

Elena H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:25 PM

FYI - Couponbar and Otto are still listed in Windows's programs list although the computer is a lot faster.

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,924 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:55 PM

Hello can you uninstall them from there now and reboot?
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 Elena H

Elena H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:55 PM

Neither one will uninstall either using Add/Delete Programs or CCleaner.

#9 Elena H

Elena H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:09 PM

I rebooted again and OTTO is gone. YAY, one down, one more to go.

#10 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,924 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:48 PM

Great! Let me know.

#11 Elena H

Elena H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:08 AM

From what I have read on the internet, the CouponBar program is most likely not hurting anything, and I can't get it off no matter what I do. The computer is operating at full speed, so if you would like and don't have any further suggestions, we can close this thread.

I want to thank you for your time. I have used your site many times and have always found you to be helpful and kind. I have referred many people to you. Thank you so much. And Merry Christmas!

#12 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,924 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:49 PM

Hello ,,you are welcome! Yes it is not bothering anything now. If you want to try one last thing then use,....

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware has a built-in FileAssassin feature for removing stubborn malware or other malicious files that it did not detect.
  • Go to the "More Tools" tab and click on the "Run Tool" button
  • Browse to the location of the file(s) to remove using the drop down box next to "Look in:" at the top.
  • When you find the file, click on it to highlight, then select Open.
  • You will be prompted with a message warning: This file will be permanently deleted. Are you sure you want to continue?. Click Yes.
  • If removal did not require a reboot, you will receive a message indicating the file was deleted successfully.
  • Click Ok and exit MBAM.
  • If prompted to reboot, then do so immediately.
-- If the file returns, then you probably have other malware on your system which is protecting or regenerating it.

Caution: Be careful what you delete. FileAssassin is a powerful program, designed to remove highly persistent files. Using it incorrectly could lead to serious problems with your operating system if removing a critical file.

:santa: Merry Christmas!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users