Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HELP!! (BSOD) STOP: c0000221 Bad Image Checksum

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 galaxygirl

galaxygirl

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:21 AM

First off, let me begin by stating that I am basically computer illiterate so I welcome any help I can get. The problem is that I cannot boot into Windows. It began after I tried to restart my ACER1640z laptop, which has Windows XP Pro, after allowing updates to install --Instead the BSOD came up with the following error message c0000221 {Bad Image Checksum}The image IEFRAME.dll is possibly corrupt. The header checksum does not match the computed checksum. I've already tried booting with all of the F8 and F12 options without any luck. Unfortunately, I don't have any XP install disks or startup disk, OR anything backed up- I did manage (using another pc) to create a Recovery Console disk and was able to get as far as the C:\WINDOWS> prompt, BUT, I don't know what to do from here...Also, if it matters, I think I have IE8, and earlier in the day before the 'crash', I started to install Google Chrome and then reconsidered and cancelled the install before it completed, and finally, after allowing the automatic updates to install I waited a LONG time before agreeing to the restart...I must have pushed the "restart later" tab 50 times before finally agreeing to it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Hadnjury

Hadnjury

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:59 AM

Hello Galaxygirl and welcome to the forums,

First lets start by getting your personal data backed up, so you don't lose any pictures, music, and etc.

Start by clicking on this link from a computer that you can burn cd's Puppy Linux. This is a download of Puppy Linux. You can burn this to a cd and use it to boot your computer, so that you can back up your important data.

Once you have it burned to a cd insert it into your disc drive of the computer you want to boot. The bios screen will start up and you are going to watch for the key you need to push on your keyboard for boot menu or setup. Set your computer to boot to cdrom first. Instruction on how to do this can be googled for your specific computer.

Once you have that booted into Puppy, you will see your hard drive on the desktop. Should show up as dev/sda1 or something similar. Plug in a flash drive or external hard drive and copy the data you need to them. If you don't have a flash drive or external drive you can use Puppy to burn cds of your data.

Let me know when you have your data backed up and we will go from there :thumbup2:

Edited by Hadnjury, 29 November 2012 - 09:05 AM.

Some people think technology has the answers - Kevin Mitnick

#3 Hadnjury

Hadnjury

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:06 AM

Instructions on how to change boot sequence on your laptop here.
Some people think technology has the answers - Kevin Mitnick

#4 galaxygirl

galaxygirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:19 AM

Hadnjury-
Thanx for your quick response- can you please tell me if I need to use an ISO burner to make Puppy Linux a bootable disk? I began downloading it to MY Downloads file in my documents but it appears to have stopped and shows as being only a partial download. I will try again.

#5 galaxygirl

galaxygirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:34 PM

Hadnjury-
I was able to load Puppy Linux but I'm afraid it seems too advanced for me...I can't make heads or tails of what I need to do to save my personal files. Is there any quick and easy way to do this? I will search for a user's manual or the like and make another attempt--I apologize for my obvious lack of computer savvy and appreciate your patience!!

#6 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:53 PM

Hello galaxygirl,

This tutorial was made for Puppy Linux 5.28. I have not yet seen the 5.4.1 version, but the general navigation should be similar.

• Boot the computer with the newly created CD.
  • Puppy Linux is a "Live CD" which means that it runs outside of the windows operating system that is on your computer.
  • Puppy should progress and run automatically. When the desktop loads, click "OK" at the Personal Settings screen.
  • Note the icons, bottom left, above the Menu button. They represent each drive on your computer. Plug in your USB Flash drive if you haven't already. The flash drive icon will soon appear.

Posted Image
  • Unlike Windows, in Puppy you only have to mouse click once on an icon to open it.
  • Find your system hard drive by exploring the hard drive icons ("hda" or "sda").
    • If your computer has more than one hard drive, your system (boot) drive will contain the Windows folder.
  • Click once on your hard drive. Navigate to "Documents and Settings," then "<YourUserName>," and finally "My Documents" folder.
  • Note: use the Posted Image at the top left of the screen to go back up a directory.
  • Click once on your USB drive. Now arrange the two screens by dragging them using the top, title bar so that both are visible; one on top of the other. Each window can be made smaller by positioning your mouse either on the top or right side of each window and dragging.

Posted Image
  • Drag the files or folders that you want rescued into the USB drive and release. Click "Copy." Do the same for any other folders or files that are important.
    • (Note: Folder sizes may be quite large and exceed the capacity of your USB flash drive. File copying may have to be performed sequentially)
  • When the Flash drive is full, you can right mouse click on the Desktop Flash Drive icon and select "Dismount." Remove Flash drive and copy files to another computer. Re-insert Flash drive into unbootable system to recover additional files.
  • To "Exit" Puppy Linux, click "Menu," "Shutdown," and "Reboot."
    • You will be presented with a screen asking to save any personal settings.
    • Arrow over to "Do Not Save" and press <Enter>.
  • The system will reboot. Remove the CD.

Regards,
Brooks

#7 galaxygirl

galaxygirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:00 PM

Artrooks-
Thanx for the info about Puppy Linux! It has really helped. Although most likely a stupid question, could you tell me if I need only to copy my personal data files to the flash drive? (Just my pictures, music, documents?) What about all the rest--i.e. System files, Program Files, and all that jazz? I really don't have a clue as I'm sure it doesn't take long to figure out, so once again, I am very grateful for any help. Yesterday, the thought of having my computer up and running again seemed out of the question and today it seems almost do-able... ;D

#8 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:00 PM

... could you tell me if I need only to copy my personal data files to the flash drive? (Just my pictures, music, documents?) What about all the rest--i.e. System files, Program Files, and all that jazz?

Just your personal files at this stage. We'll worry about the rest ... getting the Windows system back up and running ... when we know you have backed up your files safely.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#9 galaxygirl

galaxygirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:51 PM

AustrAlien-
Okay, I think I'm ready then...

#10 galaxygirl

galaxygirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:06 AM

Can anyone tell me what I should do now that I have my personal data backed up?

#11 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,104 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:32 AM

Let's try and fix windows. Reboot the computer with the Windows xp repair disk at the c:\windows prompt type %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe and press enter. If all goes well this should bring up Windows system restore. Choose a restore point prior to the computer.not booting. By default the computer creates a restore point every time windows updates. Let me know if that works.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#12 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:26 AM

Hi,

@ Sneakycyber The "rstrui.exe" command would work if galaxygirl were able to boot into Safe Mode with Command Prompt; however, I don't believe that it is a recognizable Recovery Console command. She should, however, be able to run the chkdsk command.

Try to run a check disk using the Recovery Console CD:
  • Boot the computer using the Recovery Console CD.
  • At C:\Windows>, type chkdsk /R and then press <Enter>.
    • Note the space after chkdsk.
  • Check disk will now begin the first of five phases that could take several hours to complete. This can not be cancelled. It may appear to freeze at various points during the scan, but be patient.
  • If check disk reports that it fixed problems, I would run it again.
  • Type: Exit and press <Enter> to leave the Recovery Console.

Regards,
Brooks

#13 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,104 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:35 AM

It is possible but there are more instructions. I was mistaken when she said

I did manage (using another pc) to create a Recovery Console disk and was able to get as far as the C:\WINDOWS> prompt

Guide by MicrosoftYou have the reins I will be here if you need any help :thumbup2:

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#14 galaxygirl

galaxygirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:08 PM

Okay, I ran Chkdsk and no problems were reported...and it's back to the C:\WINDOWS> prompt.
NOW WHAT?

#15 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:16 AM

As Sneakycyber has pointed out, there is a way to revert the Windows registry back to an earlier time, before the error occurred.

Since you have the Puppy Linux CD up and running, It may be easier for you to perform the registry change in Linux rather than attempting the command line version via the Recovery Console.

• Please boot the computer with the Puppy Linux CD.

Posted Image
  • Once again, find your system hard drive by exploring the hard drive icons ("hda" or "sda"). (your system drive will contain the Windows folder)
  • Note: use the Posted Image at the top left of the screen to go back up a directory.
  • Once in your system drive, you should notice a System Volume Information folder. Click once to open.
  • You should see a folder named _restore{sequence of alpha-numeric numbers}. Click on this folder.
  • If your computer was making restore points, there will be multiple RPx folders present (RP1, RP2, .....RP23, etc.). Each RP folder contains a system restore point. The higher the number, the newer ( more recent) the restore point.
  • If you right mouse click on a given RPx file and select Properties, you will see the date that the restore point was created.
    • Please select an RPx folder just before the computer problem started.
  • Click on that RPx folder, then click on the snapshot folder. Inside the Snapshot folder will be multiple files. Please note the following:
    • _Registry_Machine_Sam
    • _Registry_Machine_Security
    • _Registry_Machine_Software
    • _Registry_Machine_System
    • _Registry_User_.Default
    • Check the "properties" of each of the above files and make sure that the size of each file does not equal 0. All five files should contain data.
    • Should any of the files sizes equal 0, you will need to choose another restore point.
  • Create a new folder in a convenient location and name it RegTemp.
  • Highlight the five files above, right mouse click, select copy, then paste the copied files into the RegTemp folder.
  • Now, rename the files in the RegTemp folder as shown below:
    • _Registry_Machine_Sam =========> Sam
    • _Registry_Machine_Security ======> Security
    • _Registry_Machine_Software =====> Software
    • _Registry_Machine_System =======> System
    • _Registry_User_.Default ==========> Default (make sure there is no period (.) in front of the "renamed" Default)
  • Highligh the five renamed files, right mouse click, and select copy, then navigate to:
  • C:\Windows\System32\Config <=== This folder
  • To confirm that you are in the correct folder, verify that SAM, Security, Software, System, and Default files exist.
[/list]
  • Right mouse click on the white pane of the Config folder and click paste to overwrite the original five files.
  • Close the File Manager.
  • Restart the computer to see if it boots into normal Windows.
  • Let us know if successful.

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users