Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 7 Dell Inspiron 1545 won't get past repair screen

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 CaryHM

CaryHM

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:23 AM

I've tried F8, F2, and F12 to get to safe mode or startup options but all I ever get is the option to either start normally or launch repair. The function keys appear to do nothing. Launch normally doesn't work and just cycles me back to the two options again. Repairing just keeps "repairing" with nothing ever happening indefinitely. It will ask in the beginning if I want to restore to a different time, and if I click yes, nothing happens except that it keeps "repairing". There's nothing important on the hard drive that needs to be saved. I want to reformat, but I didn't get any disks with the computer, since it said I could use Dell Restore on my desktop, which of course I can't access now. Is there any free, safe program I can use to boot it up and restore? And can I even use a disk to restore if I can't access the advanced boot options to change it to "boot from disk"?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Julia G

Julia G

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:13 AM

Do you have anything attached to the pc? Like printer,scanner,usb flash drives etc? including a docking station if one is used remove everything attached,other than your monitor,keyboard,mouse.

Then please try the suggestions here to restore the system to factory settings. http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&docid=DSN_362066&isLegacy=true

Good luck.

#3 CaryHM

CaryHM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:12 PM

Sorry, I replied to this days ago but apparently didn't hit the "send" button. ugh. Well I only had my wireless mouse usb plugged in, and did remove it just in case. I rebooted and still the same thing three times UNTIL for some reason it asked me to do a system restore this third time and then it worked miraculously. BUT NOW, after choosing all my files and everything looking great, it tells me the BOOTMGR is missing. F2 and F12 work, but as of yet I can't get F8 to work so can't do safe mode. Still trying to see if there's a way I can reload all of Windows without the disk they never gave me or if there's a workaround this present problem, thanks.

#4 Julia G

Julia G

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:33 AM

1..To access Safe Mode Start type msconfig into the Search box.From the list that appears under 'Programs' click on msconfig.exe The System Configuration page will appear.Click on the Boot tab.Under Boot Options checkmark Safe Boot click Apply click ok.Reboot the pc and you should now boot into Safe Mode.After you're done with the scan,please remember to go back there and unchecked the mark apply and ok again.İn the General tab select the option labeled Normal Startup .

Then press the Apply button and then the OK button.
When the programs prompts you to reboot, allow it to do so, and you will boot back into Windows 7 in normal mode.

2..The link i gave you in my earlier post is for restoring the system to factory settings.For that you do NOT need a disc.

3..For BOOTMGR İS MİSSİNG please follow instructions here http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/104341-bootmgr-missing-fix.html

Edited by Julia G, 03 December 2012 - 07:45 AM.

#5 CaryHM

CaryHM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:42 PM

Sorry if I was unclear, but I can't boot up because BOOTMGR is missing, and I can't access F8/Safe mode. So none of those methods would work for me. My laptop also did not come with an installation disk. Is there any way I can create a disk to boot it from or another way to reformat the entire drive? I can access F2 and F12. When I did the system restore, it didn't work and is in fact, the reason that I now receive the "bootmgr missing" error. I have not been able to access F8/Advanced Boot Options since the start of all this, so I can't follow the instructions in the original link.

Edited by CaryHM, 04 December 2012 - 05:44 PM.

#6 Julia G

Julia G

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:59 AM

Ok,firstly you say that you cannot access Safe Mode.Have you tried to REPEATEDLY press f8 at start up? Keep hitting the key repeatedly.Because if you manage that,then you'll be able to restore to DELL'S factory settings,with no disc(link in my post^2) İf no joy however,what you'll need to do is create a system repair disc,from a computer that's the same version and bit (64 or 86)as the pc with the problem. http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/2083-system-repair-disc-create.html

Then you can boot from that.Make sure CD /DVD is first on the boot list in the BİOS.

With the disc you can do repairs http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/104341-bootmgr-missing-fix.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users