Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toshiba satellite a505-s6033 really bad overheat issues

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Majinken

Majinken

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:47 PM

Before I begin, I'd like to link to this topic. ->Here.

I was told to put a topic here in reference to the wattage, overheat problems, and such.

The problem I'm having is the CPU in this laptop overheats really easily after it fell. I've had it shut off many times before due to overheat issues. This makes me think something came loose inside (as in the vent that blows air out the side of the computer.) I've tried memory tests; they all ended in the computer shutting off during the test. I tried chkdsk /f /r and little was found. I tried sfc /scannow and no integrity violations were found. I tried SeaTools DOS and it wouldn't test my computer for some reason. o.O I tried a cooling pad and it only delayed the overheat. HWmonitor showed my cpu taking up about 55 watts when I even open Firefox. When the laptop is idle it occasionally jumps up that high as well. I'm at my wit's end... what would be the best course of action here? My warranty expired a long time ago.

EDIT - I tried a virus scan and the computer shut off. I looked in the event viewer and found many of the following at different times.

1. The kernel power manager has initiated a shutdown transition.

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
<EventID>109</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>4</Level>
<Task>103</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000000000000004</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-11-29T07:51:56.049540000Z" />
<EventRecordID>249792</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="552" ThreadID="556" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>WIN-VB88KHKPV1C</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
- <EventData>
<Data Name="ShutdownActionType">5</Data>
<Data Name="ShutdownEventCode">0</Data>
<Data Name="ShutdownReason">0</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

(17 seconds later...)

2. The system watchdog timer was triggered.

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
<Provider Name="Wd" />
<EventID Qualifiers="16384">1</EventID>
<Level>4</Level>
<Task>1</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-11-29T07:52:13.340803200Z" />
<EventRecordID>249797</EventRecordID>
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>WIN-VB88KHKPV1C</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
- <EventData>
<Data>\Device\Watchdog</Data>
<Binary>00000000010000000100000001000040000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000</Binary>
</EventData>
</Event>

I see the watchdog timer being triggered every single time my computer shuts off. I also see the kernel power manager event right before each watchdog timer being triggered.

I just want to play my game. What the heck could be causing this?

Edited by Majinken, 29 November 2012 - 03:45 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand1

ranchhand1

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:29 AM

overheats really easily after it fell.

The most likely reason is that the CPU heatsink has broken loose from the mounting plate on the motherboard and broken the thermal grease connection. It may even be loose. You need a tech to take it apart and visually inspect.

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:29 AM

Hi, a simple question for you.
When it is starting to overheat can you hear the fan running?
Is the air coming out of the Laptop blowing hot?

There should be a large volume of hot air coming out of the laptop when it is starting to overheat. as the Temperature rises so should the fan speed.
I should mention I have seen at least two Toshiba laptops where the motherboard was killed by overheating over a period of time.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 Majinken

Majinken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:20 PM

That's the thing; the fan spins fast but little air comes out. I'm probably just going to take it to a tech place... it will be easier than trying to glue something back on and potentially screwing up.

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:50 PM

It is quite possible that all it needs is a good cleaning. I know around where I live that opening it up would be a labor charge of $99 USD.

Why not try the HP cleaning tutorial. It actually applies to all Laptop computers.
Reducing Heat Inside the PC

fans inside the PC help move the air to keep the components cooled to normal operating temperatures. Inadequate cooling can cause excess heat which forces the fan to run constantly, can damage components, and limit the speed of the CPU. All of these problems with high power and high heat will cause applications to work slower than normal.
The sound of the fan running all the time may the first clue that your PC is not running as efficiently as possible and that you may have a problem with accumulated dust clogging air vents.

Symptoms of heat issues and causes of excessive heat
The following list describes some of the issues caused by too much heat in the computer:

Games stop responding during play.
Windows stops responding during use.
Fans inside the computer become louder because they are spinning faster to remove the heat.

There is a possibility that some dust was dislodged and is blocking airflow.

Good Luck
Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#6 Majinken

Majinken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:44 AM

I did see a little bit of dust on the fan when I opened the laptop up, maybe some canned air will help with that...

Something else interesting that I forgot to mention: when the computer hit the ground it immediately froze. I shut it off when it froze. Could this be corruption of low-level CPU commands? I did flash the BIOS after this happened... perhaps the voltage settings are all wonky?

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:56 AM

I did not realize you had opened it. Can you carefully open it again, being careful the connectors are delicate.

With the top cover off so you can see the fan and the heatsink assembly. Look how the heatsink is attached, usually 4 to 6 screws. Look to be sure that when you dropped it none of the attachment points broke loose from the motherboard. I'm not saying take it loose. Make sure the fan is also firmly attached. If all is good that way, Then while it is open using canned air blow backwards through the heatsink and see how much dust blows out.Sometimes you need to work back and forth from inside to outside. Make sure the fan spins freely. Be careful the blades are delicate.

I believe that there is something blocking the air flow based on what you said. the fan spins fast but little air comes out.

If you refer back to the HP guide I linked, the images show what a blocked heatsink looks like. I've actually seen worse in the past.

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#8 Majinken

Majinken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:55 PM

Huh... I cleaned out the vent with compressed air and the computer is running much cooler with a cooling pad now... about 50~53 degrees celsius on each core. It used to run about... 60 I want to say? I'll go test the game now.

Edit - I can play again. Yay!

Edited by Majinken, 30 November 2012 - 08:50 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users