When plugged into the mains, my laptop freezes whilst in games. This doesn't happen when it's running off the battery, oddly enough. When it is plugged in though, the screen freezes with no movement, sound turns from in-game sounds (such as music) to a constant buzzing sound which changes pitch. I cannot get out of this any other way than manually restarting the computer. I've sent it off to Dell numerous times to no avail (see below).
Here is a video, if it helps any: Dell XPS 15 issue - YouTube
Dell XPS 15 (L502x)
2.00 Ghz Intel Core i7-2630QM
Nvidia 540M graphics card
Windows 7 64bit
SENSIBLE SOLUTIONS I'VE TRIED AND HAVE FAILED
- Re-installed windows.
- Re-installed games.
- Re-installed all drivers, etc.
- Got an entire new laptop motherboard from Dell.
- Cooled down the PC with a new fan and heat sink from Dell, purchased a separate fan that goes under the laptop to keep the temperatures as low as possible.
- Got a new hard drive from Dell.
- Purchased new RAM.
- Given a new battery pack (also tried different plug sockets, etc).
- Dell employee fiddled with my power settings as well as my Nvidia settings.
A POSSIBLE SOLUTION GIVEN TO ME BY A FRIEND
A while back Dell fixed a broken connection in the laptop screen. He said that if they've not fixed it properly, there could be a component error which causes the screen to "send weird messages to the processor, causing it to freak out and stop working". Not sure if this has any merit whatsoever, but I thought it was worth mentioning.
ALL IN ALL...
Any help at this point is appreciated, I've done everything I can think of, thanks in advance!