Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to transfer old programs, information onto new computer?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 overclocked1

overclocked1

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:52 PM

Hello.
Joined a few days ago, just got a new computer, hasn't arrived yet. Had posted a purchase template and other things but little help so did the best I could with that decision. Bought my great old computer long ago when I knew nothing at all. I got it second hand from a third party, and didn't get any install disks. Can anyone tell me what old material is transferable to the new computer, and how does one do the transfer. Please speak slowly as though talking to a technically challenged person. I haven't gotten much help on my other posts; am I posting wrong or something? Is the forum just for more advanced folks?If so I am sorry; was told by person who referred it was for all levels.

Thanks,
overclocked

Edited by overclocked1, 28 November 2012 - 04:53 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:55 PM

What OS(Operating System) is the 'old' computer? Windows XP, ME, 98 or other? If it's older than Vista you won't be able to bring much more than documents, pictures and music.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 scurvychef

scurvychef

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:11 PM

Think of your computer as a software environment. every program has to be installed to fit that envirnoment. No two are the same. Therefore you can't just copy and paste it over as though it were a word document or a music file. Programs are more complicated than that. Think of them as a whole bunch of files.

so now that you know you can't copy and paste... what can you do?

If you have Office files, music or pictures you can move those to your new computer. ways of doing this are by the following methods (there are many more but these ones are probably most ideal for a novice user)

1: create a workgroup on your new computer and join the group with your old computer. As long as they are on the same internet connection you can access the files on your new computer

2. Burn them to a CD/DVD as a data project

3. get an external hard drive

4. if you feel extra bold: buy a data transfer cable and plug the computers together (as per the instructions)

Installing software:
your new computer is likely a newer Operating System (it's in the win7 forum) If your old computer has software on it, you may just want to update the programs you use to newer releases anyway. Open source software is free and won't be a big deal to upgrade. If you have expensive proprietary software, you may just reconsider getting all new stuff. Adobe and Windows software can be very expensive. If you have a version you are happy with, you may want to keep it.
MOST IMPORTANTLY you will need a software key to install it. These keys are usually printing in the literature with a new software purchase.

There are ways of getting these Keys, but before I open that can of worms, why don't you list the programs you are considering keeping and we will advise you best from there.

#4 overclocked1

overclocked1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:28 PM

What OS(Operating System) is the 'old' computer? Windows XP, ME, 98 or other? If it's older than Vista you won't be able to bring much more than documents, pictures and music.

Thank you, Animal. The computer is older than Vista.

Overclocked

#5 overclocked1

overclocked1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:45 PM

[quote name='scurvychef' timestamp='1354140663' post='2907930']

4. if you feel extra bold: buy a data transfer cable and plug the computers together (as per the instructions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for all the helpful information, Scurvychef.

Why would I need to be bold to buy a data transfer cable and do the above? What are the cons to that? As well, what would that be able to transfer? I would like to keep my "microsoft office suite", especially microsoft word, my firefox and my million bookmarks, all my documents, really everything. I don't want to set up a network, don't know how. Would rather use one computer. I guess I can't transfer the os since its built for windows 7? I have xp on my old computer, which works great. Would the cable transfer take everything out of my old computer and leave it empty? I don't want that as I will still be using my old computer. I have a ton of programs on my old computer, too numerous to list. With the cable transfer can you pick what you want to transfer?
Thanks for this help.
Overclocked

Edited by overclocked1, 28 November 2012 - 11:46 PM.

#6 scurvychef

scurvychef

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:58 PM

Yes you can pick what you want to transfer, it won't delete the data from your old computer. It will just copy it. I know it will copy settings that go as far as energy preference and performance preferences. bookmarks: I am not so sure?

YOu shouldn't have to "set up a network" if you already have an existing internet connection and your new computer has all the drivers properly installed. It should just be a matter of plugging it in. (or selecting the network and entering a password if it is wireless)

The data cables are not very difficult, however I think there is more room for error with it. Just make sure you follow the instructions on it perfectly and everything should go well. You don't want to stop it early or plug it in backwards. It can also be very time consuming. Vista to Win7 should be rather simple though. XP to anything newer usually involves some extra steps. Perhaps that may actually be the best method for you.

I think that FireFox is a smart choice, I use it 99.99999% of the time. You will have to reinstall that. no biggie. click on the link to install it (make sure that the OS is correct though, as the site detected my OS (which is different than yours) if you install it before you do the data transfer, maybe the wizard will detect the browser preference and import your settings. Worth a try right?

Microsoft will be the more difficult one to comense considering you don't have the media to reinstall it. I would search Ebay or ask a friend. Torrents may be an option but not my preference. I actually highly reccomend you stay away from bit torrents. Again though, unless you want to buy the whole Suite again, you only need the disc. The Key Code you will retreive with a program called Belarc Advisor This program might pull some other details about your computer that you might want to consider keeping.

#7 overclocked1

overclocked1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:01 PM

Yes you can pick what you want to transfer, it won't delete the data from your old computer. It will just copy it. I know it will copy settings that go as far as energy preference and performance preferences. bookmarks: I am not so sure?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Scurvychef, I don't want to reconfigure, just save information and programs I like like Microsoft office.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The data cables are not very difficult, however I think there is more room for error with it. Just make sure you follow the instructions on it perfectly and everything should go well. You don't want to stop it early or plug it in backwards. It can also be very time consuming. Vista to Win7 should be rather simple though. XP to anything newer usually involves some extra steps. Perhaps that may actually be the best method for you.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have xp.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think that FireFox is a smart choice, I use it 99.99999% of the time. You will have to reinstall that. no biggie. click on the link to install it (make sure that the OS is correct though, as the site detected my OS (which is different than yours) if you install it before you do the data transfer, maybe the wizard will detect the browser preference and import your settings. Worth a try right?

Microsoft will be the more difficult one to comense considering you don't have the media to reinstall it. I would search Ebay or ask a friend. Torrents may be an option but not my preference. I actually highly reccomend you stay away from bit torrents. Again though, unless you want to buy the whole Suite again, you only need the disc. The Key Code you will retreive with a program called Belarc Advisor This program might pull some other details about your computer that you might want to consider keeping.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yikes!

I don't have any discs, bought the old computer second hand, didn't get discs.
I am thinking I may pay a tech to do this since basically I don't know what I am doing and don't want to mess up my investment.
Scurveychef, thank you so much for this. No way to give points or thanks in this forum except by posting?

Overclocked

Edited by overclocked1, 29 November 2012 - 05:04 PM.

#8 overclocked1

overclocked1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:23 PM

scurvychef, there is some way to import bookmarks to a new ffox version, I did it when I upgraded my firefox, but have lost memory bytes and don't remember how I did it. But everything imported fine. Will have to research this again.
overclocked

#9 overclocked1

overclocked1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:34 PM

scurvychef, here is a link on the firefox site that tells how to do this. This is how I did it. http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/export-firefox-bookmarks-to-backup-or-transfer

Overclocked

#10 scurvychef

scurvychef

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:18 AM

Sorry, I thought you said Vista earlier, My Bad! XP isn't really that much more difficult though to be honest with you. usually just requires an extra program to be installed on the old PC.

you said: "I don't have any discs, bought the old computer second hand, didn't get discs.
I am thinking I may pay a tech to do this since basically I don't know what I am doing and don't want to mess up my investment.
Scurveychef, thank you so much for this. No way to give points or thanks in this forum except by posting?"

I was just trying to save you some money. YOu may or may not find a Tech that will do the above steps for you. If they have a copy of the media already, they might, but will likely try to sell you a new Suite. Some open source software to consider: Libre Office if you need something in the mean time.

you said "scurvychef, here is a link on the firefox site that tells how to do this. This is how I did it. http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/export-firefox-bookmarks-to-backup-or-transfer"

Not too bad, never heard of that! great stuff! thanks, I will use that. I honestly haven't really utilized bookmarks till recently anyway.

...There are no points here. lol. just a give and take relationship. I have learned alot here and I try to give it back.
Good Luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users