Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cetain files corrupt on memory card?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 scurvychef

scurvychef

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:37 PM

Hello,

I have a strange problem on memory card. It is a 4GB micro SD card. I was using it for extra storage on my 8GB Droid X.

I had the memory card in my previous phone, when I retired that phone, I coppied the old photos to my external hard drive and formatted it for my Droid. This was back in May.

Now, any of the pictures and videos I took with the droid are gone. when I mount it to a PC, I see Everything but these files. Even application temp and cache files, the LOST directory, trash, advertisments that were preloaded... other worthless junk....? ringtones.. Even the old phone's file system is there(which I thought I wrote over).

So I used a data retreival program (one that works well in the past when our digital camera cards failed)..

something seems strange that these items would be gone from my card while others are unaffected... could this be a virus? just a bad sector? Are these items lost forever?

Please Help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:30 PM

Probably not a virus. But could be a bad sector or something.

Do you still have it backed up to hard drive? That's a good idea, you know. So is using a program like Dropbox to have it on the phone and another machine at the same time.

I had an app that kept disappearing more than a year ago. But I think Google was "protecting" me. It disappeared from the app store at about the same time, too. But I had a copy of the apk backed up, so I reinstalled it. They (or something) removed it again, and I installed it again. After a number of reinstalls, it stopped disappearing. I still have it on the phone and on the tablet. And no problems with it at all.

Viruses as such aren't really a problem on Android. Yes, there have been a few cases of bad apps acquired through the app store. But every one of them was removed within 15 minutes of Google finding out they were problematic. Then they took steps to remove them from users' devices. (Maybe they thought the app that kept disappearing was one of those. But I scanned it and have used it across 6 devices without any problems at all, including no private information leaked. I think they were mistaken, but it's still not in the app store.)

#3 scurvychef

scurvychef
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:13 AM

Thanks for the interesting story. I hope Google hasn't decided to protect me against pictures of my kid and videos of him playing. that would be pretty rude.

The only things I have backed up on the card are the same things that I already have backed up. Basically the whole Android file system is gone from the phone, but an old Nokia one is still there.

I am going to keep searching for a program that can pull the data after deleted. Never tried anything like that before, but worth a shot at this point. I never wrote over the drive even though the phone asked me if I wanted to reformat, has to still be there in micro data world.

I might try the drop box idea. just alot of work to remember to back things up all the time.

#4 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:30 PM

Hi

Could they be stored on the internal memory?

If so, perhaps you can find them by using the apps that you used to make them. I'm pretty sure that apps are stored in the internal memory by default on that device.

James

#5 scurvychef

scurvychef
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:49 PM

I don't think that they are stored on the internal memory. I can't fnd them using my files explorer anyway. (if I go into the camera's gallery, they are just empty) However there is a funny thing I just noticed when I navigated them on my phone:

All the photos I have from other apps are still there?!

Craigslist cache, downloads, memes and facebook cache media are all still intact.

Basically, I lost ONLY my camera and Camcorder. Right before this happened I kept taking videos that wouldn't record. they would just be error messages.

I downloaded a couple programs to scavenge for the lost media, I might run them later when I have a chance.

Thanks!

Will post results if I figure it out

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users