Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Wireless connection

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Fozzer1

Fozzer1

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:02 PM

I recently purchased a wireless router from Virgin, and found the instructions really easy to follow. After telephoning to advise them that I was ready to connect, they told me to wait for half an hour, and then go through the final details to connect.

This entailed going to Control panel, Network connections, and right clicking on the Network Connection icon. Unfortunately there is no such icon in my Network connections.

I assume therefore that my Computer, which is a Dell, but quite old, does not have Wireless connection option.

Can I download this from Windows or elsewhere. On the Dell site, I got the impression that they really did not want to know, unless you were under warranty.

Regards

Fozzer

*Moderator Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Queen-Evie*

Edited by Queen-Evie, 28 November 2012 - 03:50 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:40 PM

Please post the computer model and OS next time.

Tekken

#3 Fozzer1

Fozzer1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:05 AM

Sorry

Computer model is DEL. I bought it many years ago second hand. Sorry for my ignorance, but what is OS ??

Would be grateful for any advice.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:39 AM

OS - Operating System - Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7. Is it a laptop or desktop? The brand is Dell, Acer, HP... The model for Dells are Inspiron, Vostro with accompanied by a number or alphanumeric combination. Example are Dell Vostro 3550 or Dell Inspiron 1525. We might be able to check for the specs. or manual after getting the right model on your next post.

Tekken

#5 Fozzer1

Fozzer1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:38 AM

OS is XP Pro.

Cannot find any evidence of model, except for markings around the start button, which may be the key. ie Optiplex GX240 ??

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:15 PM

The Dell Desktop did not come with any wireless PCI adapter. You just need to purchase a USB wifi adapter which would contain the CD software which you would need to install first and the manual for some installation or guides.

Tekken

#7 Fozzer1

Fozzer1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:52 AM

Is the USB WiFi adapter that you mention what is commonly called a dongle ??

My USB ports are 1.1, and I am told that they need to be 2.0 for this. However I have also been advised that it may still work with what I have.

My computer is definitely a desktop Dell Optiplex GX240.

Thanks for all your interest.

Just a note. My Kindle is working ok with the WiFi connection that I have, but I am hard wiring my main computer to get the internet. I may just stick with this, but I am just concerned that I am not getting the full benefit of high speed wireless for my main computer unless I resolve the wireless card issue.

Thanks again

Fozzer

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:57 PM

The Dell Optiplex Desktop has both 1.1 and 2.0 USB ports most likely located at the back. Check both under your BIOS setup(press F2 on first boot up if they are both enabled). Yes, a usb wifi dongle is also known or called usb wifi adapter. Wired is always preferred to wireless as much as possible due to latency, interference and other factors. But nowadays, newer, branded routers and wifi adapters have improved compared to their predecessors but the internet speed, bandwith sharing, distance have to be considered also. Check your connection speed by http://www.speedtest.net/ and compare it with your subscribe connection speed.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users