Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE8 prompts security messages when going to most websites

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 billamy94

billamy94

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:57 PM

Hi,

I am running XPPro SP3 with IE8.

I get the following messages when surfing the web:

You are about to leave a secure internet connection. It will be possible for others to view information you send.

-or-

You are about to view pages over a secure connection. Any information you exchange with this site cannot be viewed by anyone else on the web.

I recently had the "moneypack" virus but believe it is all gone after following some advice in other threads. I think the messages above started before the "moneypack" issue.

A couple of side questions on IE: Both bing and yahoo bring up new searches in new windows. Bing started some time ago, yahoo more recently. Google does not. IE8 will flash back and forth between the two windows while the search is completing. I don't know if this is just changes that bing and yahoo made or a real problem.

I tried re-installing IE8 and have tried starting IE8 without add ons.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,415 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:42 PM

I get the following messages when surfing the web:

You are about to leave a secure internet connection. It will be possible for others to view information you send.

-or-

You are about to view pages over a secure connection. Any information you exchange with this site cannot be viewed by anyone else on the web.

Both bing and yahoo bring up new searches in new windows. Bing started some time ago, yahoo more recently. Google does not. IE8 will flash back and forth between the two windows while the search is completing. I don't know if this is just changes that bing and yahoo made or a real problem.

I tried re-installing IE8 and have tried starting IE8 without add ons.

Bill

The notifications about web pages and secure sites...are routine messages. The box with such has a box in the lower right corner...check that and you won't see such again.

To add, remove, set as default...any search engines...Tools/Manage Add-ons in IE.

Louis

#3 billamy94

billamy94
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:38 PM

Louis,

I appreciate the quick reply. It is just odd that this behavior just started. The computer has to be at least 3 years old and has never prompted me with these messages other than conducting a financial transaction. Now it happens on just about every web site.

Thanks,

Bill

#4 btcomm

btcomm

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:22 PM

Louis,

I appreciate the quick reply. It is just odd that this behavior just started. The computer has to be at least 3 years old and has never prompted me with these messages other than conducting a financial transaction. Now it happens on just about every web site.

Thanks,

Bill

Check your date and time on the computer to make sure it is not off. Second you can reset web settings by going to internet options, advanced and reset and see if that helps.

Also you may want to create a new user profile on your computer and see if the issues persist in the new user. If they don't then it's your user profile and you may just to import your settings to the new profile.

Edited by btcomm, 28 November 2012 - 05:23 PM.

#5 billamy94

billamy94
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:36 PM

Sorry for the late response. Holidays have been crazy at work. I created a new user profile and that appears to be the issue. I received the message with the first search but not since them and I have gone to multiple sites. I will surf a couple of more days to be sure. Is it difficult to import my settings from the old account. Am I at risk of losing data?

Also-any thoughts on this:

A couple of side questions on IE: Both bing and yahoo bring up new searches in new windows. Bing started some time ago, yahoo more recently. Google does not. IE8 will flash back and forth between the two windows while the search is completing. I don't know if this is just changes that bing and yahoo made or a real problem.

Thanks again for your help...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users