Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fan starts/stops twice before boot

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 j_bins

j_bins

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:44 PM

Hi,

My Dell Inspiron 530 desktop has started to boot differently.

When I press the button to start on the front the fan kicks in on full for a short burst then stops, it repeats this sequence then boots as normal.

Possibly unrelated, but before this started happening I had a problem with my monitor. It was blank after I booted. I needed to check the cable connecting to the monitor but wanted the power off first before I started messing with the connections. I performed a forced shutdown using the button on the front. After reattaching the cable I rebooted and the monitor was fine. However, now the computer boots as described above.

Again possibly unrelated, the system froze today and I had not force shut down with the button on the front.

I just performed the Extended Test Dell Diagnostics (F12) and everything passed OK.

I have run Windows system restore to an earlier point and have the newest BIOS.

thanks for you time,

J.
:mellow:

Dell-Inspiron 530
Windows Vista™ Home Premium
Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU E4600 @ 2.40GHz
ATI Radeon HD 2400 PRO 128MB
Realtek High Definition Audio

Edited by hamluis, 29 November 2012 - 06:04 PM.
Minor edit - Hamluis

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 j_bins

j_bins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:16 AM

OK,

I think that the problem might be solved. I will see over the next few days.

The monitor went blank again so I tried using a VGA cable to connect instead of the DVI one. Everything now works fine. It boots normally and no problems with the monitor. My guess is that the either DVI cable is broken or the DVI port is. I don't understand how this would result in the change in behaviour of the fans on boot though.

If it continues to work with the VGA then I won't buy a replacement DVI cable. Will be keeping an eye on the system to see if its all OK now in the longterm.

:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users