Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ide Hard Drive Recovery

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 jhenri23

jhenri23

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:15 PM

Im trying to recover photos off of an old Toshiba HDD2181 Ide 2.5 inch hard drive. I bought an enclosure, when i plug into my computer, it shows up in devices but not in my computer. Please help!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,945 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:23 PM

Hi

A couple of questions :)

Was it working in the laptop the last time you used it?

What is the manufacturer/model of the enclosure?

James

#3 jhenri23

jhenri23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:50 PM

Hi James

thanks for the reply. It was working in the old laptop but its been a long time. The enclosure is a "sabrent"

#4 jhenri23

jhenri23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:53 PM

Also when It shows up in devices, its usually all gibberish and random characters.

#5 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,945 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:54 PM

Thanks for the answers.

The Sabrent 2.5" IDE enclosure should be correct for that drive.

First thing to check is to make sure that there is not any jumper on the drive. I believe on those that there are 4 pins next to the IDE connection pins on that drive. Makes sure there are no plastic jumpers on those 4 pins.

Since that is probably only a 30GB drive we can try booting into a Linux environment and making a bit by bit image of it and then work on getting data from the image.

Before doing that,we can look at a few things in Windows. Look at the Disk Management window and let me know if you see anything about the drive there.
You can get there by right-clicking My Computer (or Computer in Windows 7) and choose MANAGE then click DISK MANAGEMENT in the left pane of the Window that opens. Let us know if/what you see about the laptop drive there.

You can also check to see if you can access any SMART data on the drive by downloading and running GSmartControl(Windows version is about halfway down the page)
http://gsmartcontrol.berlios.de/home/index.php/en/Downloads

If you see your laptop drive listed, try double clicking it and then click the VIEW OUTPUT button at the bottom of the screen and copy and paste that information in your reply for me to look at.

After you try that, we can determine what the next step should be.

James

#6 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:05 PM

- This is MK3021GAS 30 GB,Internal,4200 RPM,2.5 HDD2181 Hard drive. There's a PDF for it that I have, but I don't know how to post pdf here. Maybe google it.
- Sabrent enclosure IS correct for those IDE drives (speaking from experience). I don't recall seeing any jumpers on my laptop drives also from a Toshiba laptop. Just push the pins in and it should work.
- One other step I'd do in Disk management - if it doesn't currently have a drive letter, it won't show up in Explorer. So assign drive letter. All that, of course, if Windows can see it. otherwise it'll be Linux recovery.

Edited by tos226, 28 November 2012 - 11:09 PM.

#7 jhenri23

jhenri23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:40 AM

SOmetimes in Disk Management it does show, this morning i couldnt get it to show at all. Also the smart control didnt see it.

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:12 AM

Hi, I suggest not assigning a drive letter in disk management. That could make recovery more difficult.
IMHO of course, James is an expert at data recovery.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#9 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,945 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:54 AM

Here's a summary of what we can try.
  • Make a bootable CD or USB flash drive with Parted Magic on it
  • Make sure the bad drive is connected to the computer and the enclosure has power
  • Turn on the computer and get into the BOOT MENU so we can boot from the CD/DVD or USB flash drive
  • Verify that we can see the bad drive(if we can't get it to show up at all then you will have to send it to a professional data recovery company to get the data off of it.)
  • Mount the bad HDD and mount the good HDD that you want to copy files to.
  • See if the files on the bad drive are visible and if they are, copy them to the good drive (copying your most important files first)
  • If this does not work, we'll move on to making an image of the bad drive.

Answer these and I'll prepare some directions for you...
  • What manufacturer/model of the computer you are using?
  • Do you have 33GB of free space on any other drives connected to it besides the bad drive?
  • Do you want to make a PartedMagic CD/DVD or do you want to make a USB flash drive?

James

#10 jhenri23

jhenri23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:27 AM

I am using a dell precision t 3500 i have more than enough free space, anf i will make a bootable cd/dvd

#11 jhenri23

jhenri23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:59 AM

I burned it to a disc

#12 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,945 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:17 PM

Excellent. Let's just go straight to attempting to grab the files. If it doesn't work then we'll start troubleshooting it.

Boot the computer into PartedMagic. Choose Default settings (Runs from RAM).
Let us know if you need help getting it to boot from the CD/DVD.

Click the MOUNT DEVICES button which is down in the lower left of the desktop. Here's a picture...
http://litten.com/images/mount1.jpg

You want to click the green MOUNT button next to the partition on the bad drive that has the data that you want (there may be more than one partition on it like a factory recovery partition or maybe others)

Click the green MOUNT button next to the drive partition that you want to copy to. If you aren't sure which drive is which then post a picture or description and we'll try to tell you.

Be patient as they can take a few moments to mount sometimes.

NOTE THE NAMES OF THE DRIVE NEXT TO THE UNMOUNT BUTTON (was MOUNT button before you clicked it) They should be something like /media/sda1 and /media/sdb1 (though yours may be different)

Once you have mounted both the bad drive and the drive that we are copying to, you will notice that the File Manager window opened also when you clicked the MOUNT DEVICES button. In it you will see folders representing your drives. The File Manager window should be displaying the contents of the /media folder and your drives will be folders called sda1 and sdb1 (though yours may have different names that you got by looking next to the UNMOUNT button).

Double click the folder for your bad drive and if you see your files and folders then simply select what you want to copy to the new drive and right-click and choose COPY. Then navigate to the folder that represents the new drive and right-click and choose PASTE just like if you were in Windows Explorer.

Let us know if this works, if you have any questions, if it does not work for you or you can't see the files/drive.

James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users