Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Setting up a domain controller in 2012

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 poptartdinosaur

poptartdinosaur

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:22 PM

So, we all know Server 2012 is entirely different from the others. I need to perform a few tasks on Server 2012, but am having difficulties..
These are all tasks that would take me 10 minutes in 2008. It's frustrating that I cannot do this on 2012 environment but here goes:

1.) Create and configure a server as a domain controller: DCPromo is apparently dead. I couldn't even NAME my server without an error popping up. What credentials do they want? I used my Server 2012 user/pass and it didn't work.
2.) I need to setup a SMTP server - which is also different in 2012. How do I configure this?
3.) Send a test email using Telnet from the SMTP server I setup. Again, all easy things in previous versions - but I cannot figure this out in 2012.

Any suggestions or help would be great. I have no experience in 2012, but need to complete these tasks for a very important opportunity.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 24 December 2012 - 06:02 PM

Hello and Welcome -
As you may read from below, this (Server 2012) is actually more of Windows8 than Server 2008 was a version of Windows7. As such this area has not yet been expanded beyond Server 2008. You may try a few of these questions in the Windows8 area of the forum, and there could be people there that may be netter suited to help you -

Windows Server 2012, formerly codenamed Windows Server 8, is the current release of Windows Server. It is the server version of Windows 8 and the successor to Windows Server 2008 R2. The software was generally available to customers starting on September 4, 2012 and worldwide through multiple channels in September 2012

Thank You for your questions -

#3 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:36 PM

It is actually quite simple to set up a domain controller and SMTP server in Windows server 2012. DCPromo has been redesigned from a PowerShell point of view, which in my opinion is a breath of fresh air; I hate DCPromo! But the options are pretty much the same. In order to perform the domain controller promotion, you must be logged in as administrator. that's probably why you were getting the errorwhile entering the domain name. But at the same time, if you are not specific with your error messages, we really have nothing to go on to help you. If you could but post the error message, I could help you out. and then setting up SMTP is via IIS 8 just as it has always been with previous versions, accept that this needs no dependency on the IIS 6 console.

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

#4 Sasi Kumar

Sasi Kumar

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:09 AM

Hi if you are still looking may be this will help,

- In server Manager go to manage ->Add roles-> and in server selection select the server you want then click next
- In Server Roles check Active Directory Domain Services and let 2012 server select all pre-request and finish.

Then you will get AD DS in right side of Server Manager go in to there and you may need to click "Promote server to DC" then either Add or Add new to forest or Add new forrest as per your requirement. Click next and follow the dialog box to finish.

Powershell
For adding DC if you using  Core OS then type - Install-WindowsFeature -name AD-Domain-Services
and
Install-ADDSForest -domainname "myxxdomain.com"

Note it may ask for safe password

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users