Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SSD slower than expected

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 btcomm

btcomm

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:17 PM

I got a new mobo cpu ram and ssd. It is the http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820239045 and the motherboard has sata 6 gb/s connection that I made sure to plug the hd into.

When I installed windows it was ok but it certainly does not load in 3 seconds. The desktop comes up after about 10 seconds and then when I click on Chrome instead of popping up almost instantly it will show up in the task manager and load after about 45-60 seconds.

A couple of things to consider is, I am running the drive in ide mode for now. There are some items in the device manager I have not installed, the onboard graphics driver for one because I have an Nvidia card that is working just fine, there are also a bunch of HD audio devices that from what I can tell are from the nvidia card (probably for the HDMI out).

I looked in the Asrock BIOS and I do not see a way to disable the onboard video if you have a proper video card installed.

Another thing is before I disabled the devices with that have no drivers they were detected and ask for a driver install about the same time chrome would come up before I disabled them. Can devices that don't have drivers (even when you don't use them) cause this delay? Is AHCI significantly faster than IDE mode? It can't be normal that a SSD that is this fast would not allow Chrome to load nearly instantly after boot.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:37 PM

I use SSD boot drives for all my computers.

Nice, fast cool running and quiet.

For and SSD you need AHCI mode and windows 7 or 8 to get the real benefit.

What make is the 6Gig drive connection? I use mine on the Intel in two computers and a Cheapo AMD for the second laptop. The Amd laptop went from pokey to OK when I went to the SSD. The Toshiba went to nice and fast.

You will need to research how to convert to AHCI if you want to keep the current install of windows.

Why are you not installing the drivers?

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 btcomm

btcomm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:28 PM

I use SSD boot drives for all my computers.

Nice, fast cool running and quiet.

For and SSD you need AHCI mode and windows 7 or 8 to get the real benefit.

What make is the 6Gig drive connection? I use mine on the Intel in two computers and a Cheapo AMD for the second laptop. The Amd laptop went from pokey to OK when I went to the SSD. The Toshiba went to nice and fast.

You will need to research how to convert to AHCI if you want to keep the current install of windows.

Why are you not installing the drivers?

Roger

Why not install all the drivers? Well because I don't need the devices who's drivers I did not install. Second I had a weird issue when after I installed the onboard graphics driver, it was like it was displaying images that got frozen on 2 different monitors from 2 different video cards when I had 1 monitor into the onboard and 1 on the nvidia card. Since then both are connected to the nvidia card and they are both working fine.

I do wonder though if not installing the drivers is causing windows to re detect them every time but then not pop up because I've already disabled them in the device manager (maybe making the boot take longer). Also as far as why I haven't installed them all is because I installed the nvidia drivers for my card and the HD audio for some reason still will not install so I don't know why and if I could disable the onboard video card in the bios I would do that but I can't seem to find that setting yet.

It is the ASRock Z77 Extreme3 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard.

Another thing is I looked up differnce between IDE and AHCI and the read speeds are better but not THAT much better, nothing that would cause Chrome to lag for that long.

Edited by btcomm, 28 November 2012 - 01:38 PM.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:47 PM

AHCI is tied to the TRIM function for SSD drives in Windows 7 & 8.

Create a restore point then install the drivers as a test.

Whether or not I need the function of the hardware or not I always install all the drivers.

Chipset first, then video, sound, Ethernet, etc.

The other thing is are You on the Intel SATA controller? There have been reports of slow performance on non Intel 6Gig SATA with SSD drives. Just as a test try one of the 3Gig ports with the SSD.

Windows 7 and up is recommended for use with SSD drives, Otherwise the drive has to have good garbage collection routines. I never had good performance with a SSD and Windows XP in my testing. I use mine with Windows 7. There is also a chance that you are not getting the best performance from your CPU with windows XP. How much memory do you have? Try reducing it to 2Gig.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 28 November 2012 - 01:50 PM.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#5 btcomm

btcomm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:52 PM

AHCI is tied to the TRIM function for SSD drives in Windows 7 & 8.

Create a restore point then install the drivers as a test.

Whether or not I need the function of the hardware or not I always install all the drivers.

Chipset first, then video, sound, Ethernet, etc.

The other thing is are You on the Intel SATA controller? There have been reports of slow performance on non Intel 6Gig SATA with SSD drives. Just as a test try one of the 3Gig ports with the SSD.

Windows 7 and up is recommended for use with SSD drives, Otherwise the drive has to have good garbage collection routines. I never had good performance with a SSD and Windows XP in my testing. I use mine with Windows 7. There is also a chance that you are not getting the best performance from your CPU with windows XP. How much memory do you have? Try reducing it to 2Gig.

Good Luck
Roger

I will look into installing the drivers also will look to see if I can disable the onboard sound and video drivers for the motherboard.

#6 btcomm

btcomm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:54 AM

Not exactly sure what changed but I did a 1 thing that might have got it to work better. I hard coded the IP and DNS into tcp/ip. I thought I remember something a while ago where if windows did not get an IP right away it would sit there for a bit. Might have fixed it, maybe not but now when I boot the computer and log in and click on chrome it pops up right away. It is very fast now.

The only other thing I can think of that I did was disable the Welcome screen.

Besides that I found where I could disable the on-board sound for the motherboard and the HD audio in the device manager were Nvidias but I still can't find a way to disabled the onboard video chipset. The only thing I see is preferred video source which I set to PCI express but other than that I don't see how you could disable it so it is the only thing left un installed in device manager.

Edited by btcomm, 29 November 2012 - 02:59 AM.

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:28 AM

Hi

The Onboard video should not be a problem. Setting the BIOS to PCI express as preferred Video is the right setting. In Device manager under Video do you see the Nvidia and the onboard video? If so right click on the onboard video and choose properties. Then the driver tab. From the driver tab you can choose Disable and the onboard will be disabled. I would just install the driver from the motherboard disk personally. That way if the video card ever goes bad, you can just take it out and use the onboard as a temporary measure.

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#8 btcomm

btcomm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:27 PM

Hi

The Onboard video should not be a problem. Setting the BIOS to PCI express as preferred Video is the right setting. In Device manager under Video do you see the Nvidia and the onboard video? If so right click on the onboard video and choose properties. Then the driver tab. From the driver tab you can choose Disable and the onboard will be disabled. I would just install the driver from the motherboard disk personally. That way if the video card ever goes bad, you can just take it out and use the onboard as a temporary measure.

Roger

The only reason I haven't installed the driver is because previously I did and there were some weird issues happening with it interacting with the nvidia card. I already disabled it and an easier way to disable it is to just right click on it and disable it.

Yes the Nvidia drivers are all running perfectly right now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users